The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

What you wish you were told about the uni of manchester before coming

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Captain_Birdseye

However, there are a lot of private school kids. A lot. It's renowned among boarding school circuits it seems and the catered, close proximity thing seems to appeal to them. I never really realised how many boarding schools there were, and they all seem to be in the tower! The 'hipster' is the most common. There was one guy, never went to lectures, always high as a kite, tattoos and rebel without a cause swagger. Turns out he was from harrow and wore a smart jumper when his parents came... Public schoolers tend to stick together too, so I think I was the one state school mate a lot of them had! That can get a bit difficult at times, and I realised in my 2nd year we weren't thought of as highly as the tower itself seems to be here!

I'm independent school educated, do you think I should apply for accommodation here if I get an offer from Manchester? Also, us old boys know how to party hardest, so that makes sense :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 101
Original post by bayernmunich
Hey, just wondering if you're doing engineering at Manchester? (Educated guess from your post)
Manchester is my first choice and I'm planning on doing engineering as well, wondering what it's like if you can tell me anything about it? Any info is greatly appreciated :biggrin:

Yeah, I'm doing Civil.
Ask me anything dude and I'll try and answer as best I can.
Original post by gummers
Yeah, I'm doing Civil.
Ask me anything dude and I'll try and answer as best I can.

Well I've applied for Mechatronic, but do you know any of the professors/tutors, what they're like etc.? What's the work load like? Are the lab facilities good? Also just out of curiosity what were your GCSEs/A levels like so I can have a vague idea of what other people there will be like in terms of academics :smile: thanks a lot
Reply 103
Well I've applied for Mechatronic, but do you know any of the professors/tutors, what they're like etc.? What's the work load like? Are the lab facilities good? Also just out of curiosity what were your GCSEs/A levels like so I can have a vague idea of what other people there will be like in terms of academics :smile: thanks a lot

Err I'm not sure if my lecturers cross over to Mechatronic or not.. What school is that run in, do you know?

My lecturers are all fairly decent. Some better than others (obviously) but not had real problems to the point I don't think I'm being given enough. The library has all the information in it anyway.
I get quite a high work load + courseworks. & so far, the labs I've been in have been really good too! As I say I haven't been disappointed with anything (apart from the performance of myself in Mechanics exam today).

I had average grades.
GCSE: AAAAABBCC
A Level: ABB
Though I am a lot more dedicated now to studying and a lot more committed than I was back in College.

But on my course it ranges from ABB-A*A*A*, from people who have done IB etc.. Massive differences in ability...

Anything else mate?
Original post by gummers
Err I'm not sure if my lecturers cross over to Mechatronic or not.. What school is that run in, do you know?

My lecturers are all fairly decent. Some better than others (obviously) but not had real problems to the point I don't think I'm being given enough. The library has all the information in it anyway.
I get quite a high work load + courseworks. & so far, the labs I've been in have been really good too! As I say I haven't been disappointed with anything (apart from the performance of myself in Mechanics exam today).

I had average grades.
GCSE: AAAAABBCC
A Level: ABB
Though I am a lot more dedicated now to studying and a lot more committed than I was back in College.

But on my course it ranges from ABB-A*A*A*, from people who have done IB etc.. Massive differences in ability...

Anything else mate?

All that is encouraging lol. EEE runs Mechatronics. I know this question might seem a bit stupid, but are most engineering students Asian? Presumably there's a significant lack of girls as well in engineering? You say your work load is fairly heavy, but you still have a social life, right? I have a couple of friends who went to Imperial and say they don't have much of a life outside of academics, and I don't really want that lol.
Reply 105
All that is encouraging lol. EEE runs Mechatronics. I know this question might seem a bit stupid, but are most engineering students Asian? Presumably there's a significant lack of girls as well in engineering? You say your work load is fairly heavy, but you still have a social life, right? I have a couple of friends who went to Imperial and say they don't have much of a life outside of academics, and I don't really want that lol.

I'm in a different school so it's different lecturers completely. Although I have seen the facilities and as far as I am aware they seem good.

It's around 50/50.. There are noticeably more than you would probably be used to seeing, but I personally don't see it as a problem?

& yeah there is a distinct lack of females on the course but again, I don't see it as a problem. There are still plenty around and plus, you'll have a lot of lectures (if not all) in the Sackville building which is used by Engineers and Fashion/Textiles students.

Yeah I'd say I have a fair decent social life. If you plan your time well you can have a really good one. The latest you finish is 5, say you stayed in library until 7 doing your work, go home, food, shower and can easily go out 2-3 nights a week but there will be some weeks (CW deadlines weeks) which you won't be able to go out at all... but that's just expected.

It all comes down the personal ability, time management and well, whether you can get up at 8 for a 9am lecture and still be able to take everything in whilst being hungover.
I have an unconditional offer from manchester to study law with politics and I'm considering putting it as my first choice. I live just outside manchester but want to go in halls but I have no idea what kind of campus to look at for accommodation. Like someone said at the beginning of the thread I've always kind of snubbed fallowfield but it seems like a lot of the accommodation is based here. Is this the best place to be in your first year ?

I want to be somewhere sociable but somewhere I can work too which seems to be what everyone on here is looking for !

Is there also anyone who has done/ is doing this course who can tell me a bit more about it. And are you glad you chose manchester over your other choices ? My other offers are from reading and another from sheffield and in terms of sheffield and manchester I'm still unsure which one would be best. Thank you
Original post by gummers
I'm in a different school so it's different lecturers completely. Although I have seen the facilities and as far as I am aware they seem good.

It's around 50/50.. There are noticeably more than you would probably be used to seeing, but I personally don't see it as a problem?

& yeah there is a distinct lack of females on the course but again, I don't see it as a problem. There are still plenty around and plus, you'll have a lot of lectures (if not all) in the Sackville building which is used by Engineers and Fashion/Textiles students.

Yeah I'd say I have a fair decent social life. If you plan your time well you can have a really good one. The latest you finish is 5, say you stayed in library until 7 doing your work, go home, food, shower and can easily go out 2-3 nights a week but there will be some weeks (CW deadlines weeks) which you won't be able to go out at all... but that's just expected.

It all comes down the personal ability, time management and well, whether you can get up at 8 for a 9am lecture and still be able to take everything in whilst being hungover.

Haha, I'm actually multiracial, so it doesn't bother me. I was just curious, same with the girls thing lol. My current Maths class has 37 guys and 4 girls :P

Thanks for all the answers! Really looking forward to coming this September if I get an offer, *fingers crossed*. Though...just one last question lol, would your recommend uni' accommodation or renting a flat or something? I have no problem living with other people, but I'm a bit particular about things sometimes, the lads at boarding school thought I had OCD. I'd like to have people and friends etc. around, but again I wouldn't like someone to steal my underwear (this actually has happened before -.-) I have no idea what uni' accommodation is like, do you think I'd have enough privacy? :smile:
Reply 108
Original post by Bilgin143
A huge percentage of them fail their course from the first year.

No they don't you can't just come out with facts like that. I knew about 30-40 people in Oak House, Fallowfield. Not one of the was kicked out after first year, some may have had to do a re-take in the summer but they all came through fine.

Fallowfield is definitely the place to be, well it was at least when I was there 4 years ago.

Beware lots of people on this forum try to justify their inadequate social skills by suggesting things like this.
Reply 109
I got a conditional offer to Manchester for Law. Any recommendations for a good place to study but not too quiet? My social life is pretty non-existent but I plan to change that in uni :biggrin: Though, I don't think my heart can take Fallowfield judging by the way you guys describe it.

Also, what's the best time to apply for accommodation? Should I apply for it early even if Manchester is my insurance choice?
Reply 110
Haha, I'm actually multiracial, so it doesn't bother me. I was just curious, same with the girls thing lol. My current Maths class has 37 guys and 4 girls :P

Thanks for all the answers! Really looking forward to coming this September if I get an offer, *fingers crossed*. Though...just one last question lol, would your recommend uni' accommodation or renting a flat or something? I have no problem living with other people, but I'm a bit particular about things sometimes, the lads at boarding school thought I had OCD. I'd like to have people and friends etc. around, but again I wouldn't like someone to steal my underwear (this actually has happened before -.-) I have no idea what uni' accommodation is like, do you think I'd have enough privacy? :smile:

Uni accommodation definitely for the first year and I'd recommend Fallowfield although I don't know what you're like. Have a read through some of the Manchester threads, there's is PLENTY of info on the different types of accommodation.
Reply 111
Original post by Akiraryuu
I got a conditional offer to Manchester for Law. Any recommendations for a good place to study but not too quiet? My social life is pretty non-existent but I plan to change that in uni :biggrin: Though, I don't think my heart can take Fallowfield judging by the way you guys describe it.

Also, what's the best time to apply for accommodation? Should I apply for it early even if Manchester is my insurance choice?

You can only apply for accommodation if you firm Manchester. If you put it as your insurance you apply for accommodation after results day.

I would say live in victoria park, fallowfield is a very lively student community and if you dont get a particularly nice hall and room then you wont enjoy it as much.
Reply 112
Original post by chanchan
You can only apply for accommodation if you firm Manchester. If you put it as your insurance you apply for accommodation after results day.

I would say live in victoria park, fallowfield is a very lively student community and if you dont get a particularly nice hall and room then you wont enjoy it as much.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind!
Original post by gummers
Uni accommodation definitely for the first year and I'd recommend Fallowfield although I don't know what you're like. Have a read through some of the Manchester threads, there's is PLENTY of info on the different types of accommodation.

Alright, as promised that was the last question lol, thanks a lot man!
Reply 114
Alright, as promised that was the last question lol, thanks a lot man!

I don't mind answering questions by the way. Don't think that you're pestering me..
Original post by tara_patel
Heyy, I'm hoping to study psychology at Manchester Uni in september. Does anyone know where I can find pictures of the rooms, particularly at Oak House, Richmond Park and Sheavyn House (basically any self-catered UG accommodation in Fallowfield)? Or could anyone post some or direct me to a good thread? :tongue:

Here's my Oak House (Sycamore court - nonbasin) room:

The rooms in Oak House seem to vary and I have the smallest room in the flat.

I've added the image of when I first arrived to show the difference that a little bit of decoration can add.

And for laughs, here's a picture I just found of the kitchen above mine on fire :3
Original post by ellakrystina
Here's my Oak House (Sycamore court - nonbasin) room:

The rooms in Oak House seem to vary and I have the smallest room in the flat.

I've added the image of when I first arrived to show the difference that a little bit of decoration can add.

And for laughs, here's a picture I just found of the kitchen above mine on fire :3

Your room is so much bigger than mine in Beech :P I hate how some rooms are properly different sizes in OH...
^ are all the rooms roughly that size?? there's isn't much info about room sizes online so i'd like to know more if anyone has any info??? :smile:

ALSO is there a student gym on city campus, or only fallowfield?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 118
Original post by Akiraryuu
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind!

Original post by chanchan

Nope, I plan to firm Manchester but I haven't told UCAS that yet as I haven't heard back from all my unis, and I already applied for accommodation. As long as you have an offer, you can do that on the accommodation website.
Reply 119
Original post by Anna Louise

Original post by Anna Louise
I have an unconditional offer from manchester to study law with politics and I'm considering putting it as my first choice. I live just outside manchester but want to go in halls but I have no idea what kind of campus to look at for accommodation. Like someone said at the beginning of the thread I've always kind of snubbed fallowfield but it seems like a lot of the accommodation is based here. Is this the best place to be in your first year ?

I want to be somewhere sociable but somewhere I can work too which seems to be what everyone on here is looking for !

Is there also anyone who has done/ is doing this course who can tell me a bit more about it. And are you glad you chose manchester over your other choices ? My other offers are from reading and another from sheffield and in terms of sheffield and manchester I'm still unsure which one would be best. Thank you

I don't do your course but I live very close to Manchester and also made the choice to come into halls. Definitely do it! More sociable, more convenient for lectures etc...so good. With regards to halls, Fallowfield ones always go the quickest, especially Richmond Park. That was my first choice and I have friends there now, although I don't spend much time there.

Having said that, there is a lot to be said for Victoria Halls. It's based on small flats, so you have the chance to make good friends with three or four other people. There are a lot of international students here, and the block tutors can get quite strict about noise during exam periods and mid week. Having said that, we've had some pretty mad nights here, all depends on the people!

Other than that, I have like no experience of any of the halls. Both of the ones I mentioned are at the top end of the budget spectrum as well, next year I'm looking for something considerably cheaper.

Always assuming I make it through to next year, of course :s-smilie:

Anyway, it's exam period and I've done basically no work, so I'm off to take advantage of the library being open for 24hrs :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending