The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
BossLady
I have heard terrible things about the social life at Imperial. So, anyone who is there, can you tell me abit about it? Is it as dull as people claim?

My boyfriend is always moaning about it being rubbish. However, he's not really used to international students, not really used to people not wanting to go on drunken binges and steal road signs (although some of this kind of thing does go on). Basically, if you are willing to go looking for it-you'll be fine, but if you think the social life will come to you, it won't :-) Good luck xxx
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Should it matter, if it's in such a sociable place as London?

There is an issue with the male-female ratio, 2 males per female. But when I went for interview and they took us round it seemed rather active.
Reply 3
BossLady
I have heard terrible things about the social life at Imperial. So, anyone who is there, can you tell me abit about it? Is it as dull as people claim?

lol, thanks BossLady for starting this thread, I've been hunting around trying to find info on the Imperial social life (or lack of) for a good while now, to settle my decision between Imperial and Warwick for Maths.... so come on all you Imperial people, speak up!
Reply 4
Imperial's social life dies after 3 weeks of starting. Unless u are a medic! the workload means its a trade of between keeping up and going out. Imperial is fine if ure prepared to do work and have accepted ull have a fewer chances of going out and have fun than people at most other univeristies. The people work very hard and ull have to become like them if ure to succeed, the conclusion if u prioritise social life over work and future career this is probably not the place for u.
Reply 5
Thanks guys for the responses. Hope it helped you too JimBob.

Is the pressure of work there really that bad? I go to a very high achieving school, and people say there is quite a bit of academic pressure here to do well, but tbh I have never noticed it at all. But I don't want to be totally out of my depth in terms of workload......
BossLady
Thanks guys for the responses. Hope it helped you too JimBob.

Is the pressure of work there really that bad? I go to a very high achieving school, and people say there is quite a bit of academic pressure here to do well, but tbh I have never noticed it at all. But I don't want to be totally out of my depth in terms of workload......

Imperial truly is a special place, but not because of its social life. From the people I know there everything depends on what you get involved in:if you join clubs and societies then you will meet people-but if you go boozing it won't be as much fun as at other places, on the other hand you're based, mostly, in South Ken-now there's an interesting part of London, with no shortage of places to go. Take the Imperial shilling, Boss Lady, you won't regret it.
Reply 7
how are sports and the other activities in imperial? are a lot of students involved in them?
Reply 8
W.A.S Hewins
Imperial truly is a special place, but not because of its social life. From the people I know there everything depends on what you get involved in:if you join clubs and societies then you will meet people-but if you go boozing it won't be as much fun as at other places, on the other hand you're based, mostly, in South Ken-now there's an interesting part of London, with no shortage of places to go. Take the Imperial shilling, Boss Lady, you won't regret it.

Hmmm... I had also heard similar things along these lines froma few others... Thanks Hewins, it's begining to sound more promising... my music and sports interests for starters should be enough to let me make some friends i suppose! Starting to edge towards Imperial I think...
Reply 9
W.A.S Hewins

thank ye.

well I've already taken it as my firm, so if it isn't the place for me....OOPS hehe. Will def be joinging lots of clubs then though, should be goooood!
One problem is the small numbers of females there. Who am I gonna go clothes shopping with? :frown:
kidding!! hehe
BossLady
thank ye.

well I've already taken it as my firm, so if it isn't the place for me....OOPS hehe. Will def be joinging lots of clubs then though, should be goooood!
One problem is the small numbers of females there. Who am I gonna go clothes shopping with? :frown:
kidding!! hehe

Me! I'm a bit of a shopping addict...not going to do any good for my student bank account. At least we're not within walking distance of oxford st (i hope).
Reply 11
Mysticmin
At least we're not within walking distance of oxford st (i hope).

i would disagree with you..unless you were not living in any college hall..
Reply 12
Mysticmin
Me! I'm a bit of a shopping addict...not going to do any good for my student bank account. At least we're not within walking distance of oxford st (i hope).

yay! although maybe not yay for student bank accounts you;re right lol. I'm sure we will find lots of other expensive shops though !! :smile:
jiefei_ma
i would disagree with you..unless you were not living in any college hall..

arg no, im trying to tell myself oxford street is NOT within walking distance so I won't go there all the time to shop!
Reply 14
Mysticmin
arg no, im trying to tell myself oxford street is NOT within walking distance so I won't go there all the time to shop!

something's wrong with me today~~i have been sleeping for 15 hours~~but my brain is still unstable~~ :tongue: :tongue:
jiefei_ma
something's wrong with me today~~i have been sleeping for 15 hours~~but my brain is still unstable~~ :tongue: :tongue:

15 hours!?!? Oh you're on easter hols, that explains it!
Reply 16
Mysticmin
15 hours!?!? Oh you're on easter hols, that explains it!

er...no...... :frown:
tonight i am not gonna sleep~~~wanna get back the time i have lost~~ :frown:
Reply 17
BossLady

a bio teacher in my school (male) was trying to scare my mate (female) about applying to IC for medicine. he was going on about when he was there, there were all these notorious "dirty discos" which apparently were like orgies, and was telling her not to apply unless she really really liked sex and alcohol because of the large number of desperate blokes. that was the 80's, i would guess.
i have a mate there now, and he;s gay. the picture i still get from him is that there is a lot of clubbing and shagging, though apparently the girls don't get into that sort of thing as much because they've got hang-ups of being known as the local bicycle.
to be honest, i've barely heard anything dull about the IC social life, except my physics teacher met his wife there (which sounds a bit more typical st-andrews-ish)
Reply 18
avalondep
a bio teacher in my school (male) was trying to scare my mate (female) about applying to IC for medicine. he was going on about when he was there, there were all these notorious "dirty discos" which apparently were like orgies, and was telling her not to apply unless she really really liked sex and alcohol because of the large number of desperate blokes. that was the 80's, i would guess.
i have a mate there now, and he;s gay. the picture i still get from him is that there is a lot of clubbing and shagging, though apparently the girls don't get into that sort of thing as much because they've got hang-ups of being known as the local bicycle.
to be honest, i've barely heard anything dull about the IC social life, except my physics teacher met his wife there (which sounds a bit more typical st-andrews-ish)

LOL, VERY FUNNY!!
avalondep

Now has your gay mate told you what the guys at Imperial are like? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending