The Student Room Group

I know someone who's cheating the benefit system...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by frankieboy
What was the disability that she was claiming to have?

And what did you say when you reported her?

She was claiming to have severe scoliosis, so severe that she could not move without aid.

I don't know how many times I need to say this, but I know she does not have this disability because I spent a whole year with her, mostly going to gigs....

I do not feel like I should have any loyalty, does she have loyalty to her friends? Who are working to pay her to do absolutely **** all?
No, I don't think so.

I would understand the hostility is she were maybe legitimately ill, but she's not. So why should I feel anything for her?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 61
Why are people saying leave it? These benefit thiefs are up there with the scum of the earth. Lazy bastards who can't be bothered to get a job so scrouge off tax payers money. Report her if you're sure she's one of the lazy *****.
I would report her. People like her give genuine claimants who do need the support a bad name.

If she is genuinely entitled to it, they will simply review it and take no further action anyway.
Reply 63
All those telling this person to tout on a so called friend should be ashamed of themselves.
And I suppose they're all whiter than white and have never stepped outside of government rules.....
Original post by Kennyy
These benefit thiefs are up there with the scum of the earth.

Don't be ridiculous.
Original post by IRSP044
It explains its self. Read it again.

No, it really doesn't.
It makes no sense at all.

Please lean to punctuate.

And there is not one post at all that even hints at my political agenda, so why you felt the need to mention any party at all completely baffs me.
Reply 66
Why did you report her? Stop informing to the authorities she's just looking out for herself just like anyone in this climate its small scale anyway . I hate people who go out of their way when it's got **** all to do with them stop hating!. Informer fi dead!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 67
Don't be ridiculous.

Maybe I was a bit extreme but they are scum. They are scamming people out of money which they do not deserve, and in the process giving people who do deserve the money a bad name. I don't understand why some people are defending them. (I'm not saying you are).
Reply 68
Original post by KlaireDelilah
No, it really doesn't.
It makes no sense at all.

Please lean to punctuate.

And there is not one post at all that even hints at my political agenda, so why you felt the need to mention any party at all completely baffs me.

Other members understood it fine. Its very easy to understand. "Working class person scamming system to make a living" = Fine.
"Massive corporate businesses scamming system" =BAD

I mention party's because they are the ones that push the crap about touting on the people who scam the system.
Original post by IRSP044
All those telling this person to tout on a so called friend should be ashamed of themselves.
And I suppose they're all whiter than white and have never stepped outside of government rules.....

OP is most definitely white.
Reply 70
Original post by Ishman2k10
Why did you report her? Stop informing to the authorities she's just looking out for herself just like anyone in this climate its small scale anyway . I hate people who go out of their way when it's got f*** all to do with them stop hating!. Informer fi dead!!!

The same people who tout on their "friends" because "its stealing from tax payers" aren't making such a uproar over the big business not paying any taxes. Instead they turn on their fellow working class!

P.S. what does "Fi" mean lol.
Original post by Kennyy
Maybe I was a bit extreme but they are scum. They are scamming people out of money which they do not deserve, and in the process giving people who do deserve the money a bad name. I don't understand why some people are defending them. (I'm not saying you are).

There's people who do that on a much larger scale though. To report these dole people is like going whale hunting and coming back with an anchovy in the grand scheme of things.

But yeah I know the point you're getting at. I don't think you ought to regard them as scum though.
Reply 72
I would regard them as good people, who have the balls to make their money in this way.
To the OP and others who want her to tout. What great and respectable jobs do you's do?????
Good decision OP.

For one thing, it's cheats like her that mean that more investigations need to take place to ensure people who receive - and actually deserve disability benefits - really are disabled. Also, no reason to feel sympathy for her: if she is happy living on benefits she should have just applied for JSA, but she chose to go for an unwarranted, higher amount.
Original post by theoutsider840
Good decision OP.

For one thing, it's cheats like her that mean that more investigations need to take place to ensure people who receive - and actually deserve disability benefits - really are disabled. Also, no reason to feel sympathy for her: if she is happy living on benefits she should have just applied for JSA, but she chose to go for an unwarranted, higher amount.

It has to work both ways though. I've known someone to be signed off work by their doctor but have the benefits insist their appointed doctor looks at them and their doctor pronounce them "fit for work" leaving them in a rather uncomfortable situation, which we all thought was a bit rough. I think the benefits people would have to accept the claimant's GP's decision.
Actually I've known two people like that, thinking about it.
Reply 75
There's people who do that on a much larger scale though. To report these dole people is like going whale hunting and coming back with an anchovy in the grand scheme of things.

But yeah I know the point you're getting at. I don't think you ought to regard them as scum though.

Just because people do it on a larger scale it doesn't mean the small time thiefs shoud get away with it. It all adds up. It's like saying commiting one murder isn't that bad because there are people who a serial killers.
Original post by Dekota-XS
Leave it be. It's her business.

Original post by Tommyjw
https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/benefitfraud/

and yes, report it, it's us paying for it.

I don't understand how *both* of these posts have negs, make your bloody minds up TSR lol.

Anyway I know this might sound harsh but tbh I'd report her. I know you said she was your friend and everything, but it's people like her that give people who genuinely need benefits such a bad name. My boyfriend is disabled and can't get a job, and you wouldn't believe the amount of times people have said to me "why doesn't he just get a job" like it's his fault!
Original post by IRSP044
Prob offended an Eton or Oxford student :smile:
Cheers for the rep.

Eton and Oxford aren't the same thing you know? You don't have to be rich/posh to go to Oxford (you just have to be very intelligent) and you don't have to do either of the things you stated to be a politician. I agree with your other points but pointlessly and inaccurately demonising people who go to certain schools and universities makes you sound silly.

p.s For reference I don't go to either Eton or Oxford and have been at a comprehensive school all my life so I'm not just defending myself.
Reply 78

Should we not report rapists .. because that is small time compared to human trafficking?

Should we not report murders because that is small time compared to wars etc?

Should we not report when your hypothetical child gets beat up and mugged, because that is small time compared to bank robbery?
Report her for benefit fraud.

She won't steal jobs, she'll most likely just get unemployment benefit, which is less money, but still free for her, essentially.

Easy - nobody's taking jobs, nobody's missing out on free money from the government. Everyone wins.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending