The Student Room Group

ways to keep warm in the winter periods

Scroll to see replies

In addition to what everyone else has said, I've just put bubble wrap on my window and door because I've heard it helps to insulate the room. I've also some foil paper behind the radiator and I always wear a hat indoors no matter how ridiculous I look.

Oh and thermals if you can afford them.
Reply 21
Original post by Kerr Avon
Is the woman really small or the scarf really big? (Just to clarify this).

big woman, gargantuan scarf.
Reply 22
Original post by scorpio22
Hello.
we don't really have a lot of money in the household as one of my parents have been struck off work .And can't afford the heating.I usually wear two pairs of socks,tights and bed gown.Have you got any suggestions of keeping warm which is affordable?

You really should find a nice girl to keep you warm at night.
do some exercise! do press ups, keep lifting some weights for like 5-10 minutes. Even just a bit of exercise keeps me warm for hours.
My laptop is keeping me warm :lol:
My boyfriend :sexface:
Reply 26
Bask in the sun.
Reply 27
I am mostly freezing cold from september - march =(

Things that heat you up a lot but dont cost too much money are tough. As hot drinks and hot water bottles from a kettle can mount up.

I tend to have a hot water bottle at night, find it most effective then. With your bed, you shouldnt just put extra layers on top, but also underneath the bottom sheet. I have a thick fleece blanket under two bottom sheets. Seems to insulate the heat better so all angles are covered. It looks cringey but tucking clothing bottom layers into each other really helps (e.g thermals). I used to wear two or three pairs of socks but I've found whats better is a good pair of socks and leg warmers to seal the gap between trousers or what ever.

A good hot bubble bath seems to heat me to my core like nothing else. The bubbles keep the water hot for longer (probably the same principle as bubble wrap). If youre smart youll have a warm towel/ clothes waiting.

Protip: Put your closed body cream bottle in the bath with you so it heats up nicely for when youre done. Cold cream (n)

This is the first winter I've had my cat, she jumps on my lap to use me for what little heat I have, but she seems to warm me up a bit too =)
turn your oven on and leave the door open. We did that once when out natural gas lines had to be shut off for a few days last year. Worked like a charm.
Reply 29
I grew up without central heating - we didn't have it until I was 10 :smile: I'd say the way forwards is obviously to wear all your clothes at once, to definitely avoid going to bed with wet hair under all circumstances, and to develop a coffee habit.
Reply 30
always wear socks. even just to the bathroom in the middle of the night, cause you lose a lot of heat through your feet.

tea is a miracle drink. just sayin.

buy vests, not necessarily expensive thermal vests, just those cheap little ones you get for like 2 for £3 at primark and wear them under your clothes, they keep you surprisingly warm.

wear flannel pyjamas, not cotton ones. soooo much warmer and snugglier!
Reply 31
Wear a thermal base layer preferably made out of wool. Then use some other layers like trousers that have thermal lining in. Possible wear a hat too like a berghaus mountain peak hat :biggrin:
Hello.
we don't really have a lot of money in the household as one of my parents have been struck off work .And can't afford the heating.I usually wear two pairs of socks,tights and bed gown.Have you got any suggestions of keeping warm which is affordable?

I've just been thinking about putting hot water in my hot water bottle, it keeps me warm as I'm dropping off.
If you're tight on money this is the perfect tip. Catch as many stray cats as you can :smile:. Then simply skin them, tan the hides and make wonderful fur clothing including fashionable coats, hats and underwear.
- Study in public library
- Live in halls
Reply 35
Some really good suggestions!

After cooking something in the oven, I usually stay in the kitchen a while with the door closed and the oven door open (even though it's off, its heat has to go somewhere :smile:) and make the most of what's usually wasted heat.
Original post by ShinyT
Take your duvet everywhere :smile: as someone said before ...

Can I ask why you have neg rep? Do people mistake you for shinytoy?
In bed have one quilt under you and one quilt on top of you, or if you only have 1 quilt to use roll it all around you nice and snug like you are the filling in a sausage roll
Reply 38
Hello.

Ah no that's the worst we had that a couple of winters when I was little. We always kept the windows shut, and shut doors behind us. In the evening we would shut the door to the living room and close the gaps off with cushions or blankets, and the same when we went to bed. Apart from that and wrapping up warm / using hot water bottles / drinking hot drinks, not sure I can think of anything else :smile:
get those hot water bottles, they're inexpensive:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending