The Student Room Group

What A-Levels should I choose? :/

I'm not a creative person.

I want to do maths, chem and bio.

I don't like essay writing.

I'm good at most 'academic' subjects.

I'm doing fast track german AS and it bores the hell out of me - I was forced to do it.

I hate Physics.

What should I choose as a Fourth AS level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by 344302

I'm doing fast track german AS and it bores the hell out of me - I was forced to do it.

I hate Physics.

Further Maths? Probably the only other subject that springs to my mind that won't have any essay writing at all.
Further Maths? Or as it's a fourth AS you could just pick a subject you enjoy, even if it's completely different to the other options you've chosen. What other subjects do you like?
Reply 3
Original post by 344302

I hate Physics.

Do further Maths :smile: it looks really good on a uni application especially for science course plus no essays/coursework! <--- Thats why I chose it :colondollar:
Reply 4
Original post by 344302

I hate Physics.

Further maths :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by 344302

I hate Physics.

If they do further maths at your college it's worth a think. It's mostly normal maths with a few added modules. Helps you out in normal maths a lot too. Plus I finish normal maths in jan, then I'm dropping further maths so I will only have 2 exams (biology and chemistry) in summer. It's got it's advantages
PsychOlogy, interesting and only a half of the marks is on essays, and there more like a long answer :smile:
Psychology or Latin?
It depends what you want to apply for and where (some places/courses don't accept further maths, you see).

Obviously Art and Technology etc are out, as is English and economics because they have essays. Further maths is really the only option that comes to mind by as I said, it may not be suitable.
Reply 9
Original post by Chocolate219
PsychOlogy, interesting and only a half of the marks is on essays, and there more like a long answer :smile:

Original post by Sui-Kinxtar_kitty
Psychology or Latin?

OP, don't take psychology...

that is all.

wait...

Original post by Chocolate219

Psychology is not interesting, why do people keep saying this? He'll take it and regret it, because it's boring.
(edited 12 years ago)
Do Further Maths
Hiya! I'm exactly the same as you - I've got Maths, Chem and Bio 'for sure' (meaning I'll probably change my mind but for now I'm aiming towards doing them, lol). I hate English and didn't take any Arts at GCSE. I'm still choosing that fourth option.

Have you thought about Geography? I'm definately considering it. It ties with the other three, and also looking at past papers there doesn't seem to be too many huge essays involved.
Or, like the others suggested, Further Maths. (But then you'd think that any one taking Further Maths would like extra Applied Maths too eg. Physics)
So you say you like maths, but hate Physcs? You will only do academic subjects? And you hate writing essays?

There's only one subject that is screaming me/you in the face at the moment; Media Further Maths
Original post by Whangdoodle
Hiya! I'm exactly the same as you - I've got Maths, Chem and Bio 'for sure' (meaning I'll probably change my mind but for now I'm aiming towards doing them, lol). I hate English and didn't take any Arts at GCSE. I'm still choosing that fourth option.

Have you thought about Geography? I'm definately considering it. It ties with the other three, and also looking at past papers there doesn't seem to be too many huge essays involved.
Or, like the others suggested, Further Maths. (But then you'd think that any one taking Further Maths would like extra Applied Maths too eg. Physics)

I was going to recommend Geography, it is a really good subject. In fact it's my favourite subject.

It depends what exam board you get, but the exams are generally pretty simple (for Edexcel). The majority of questions are 3-5 marks, in which you just have to demonstrate your knowledge well. You then pick 1 of 4 set of questions which involves a 10 mark and 15 mark essay response :s-smilie:. Also in the second AS exam you have to answer 6 essay questions, with nothing else in the exam. And if, like me, you continue to A2 then there is a 70 mark report answer exam, as well as just a standard exam with 2 longer answers. (I hope that all of that makes sense, but generally you have some longer responses in all of the exams for Edexcel Geography). As I say, this changes for each exam board, but if you don't like essay writing it is possibly not the best choice. However, the exams are manageable and I wouldn't say the essay questions are anything like what you may expect from English or Psychology, as examples.

Other than that OP, I would reiterate what others have said about Further Maths, going by your interests and other subjects.
further maths or Physics*

* yes I know you said you hated Physics, but I thought I didn't like Physics (but took it anyway lol) and now I really enjoy it.
As others have said, Further Maths or Geography :smile:

I would ask teachers/looking into courses in more detail to see if you would enioy them (thats more for geography than FM, which is basically lots of extra maths) :biggrin:
Further Maths. GO GO GO!
Bear in mind physics as GCSE is boring as hell, As and A-level physics is much better. Strange for someone who likes maths and academic subjects to not like physics.

Geography is just memorizing ****, i don't really recommend it, FM is more of a compliment than a 4th A-level.
Reply 18
I would only do Fmaths as a 5th subject. If you fail maths then you have to drop both, which leaves you with only 2 A2s so you're a bit stuffed. What about a language other than german, or geography, there are some essays in that but not huge ones (well not for my exam board).
Reply 19
It depends on what you think you want to do in the future, if your thinking of going to university try looking at what subjects you need to get into the course.

Quick Reply

Latest