The Student Room Group

At what age is it weird to live at home?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Piko_Piko
But someday a girl might like you....she'd run a mile once she saw the Star Wars duvet cover.

If I was a woman I'd be totally impressed by a Star Wars duvet. :biggrin:
But someday a girl might like you....she'd run a mile once she saw the Star Wars duvet cover.

Personally speaking, I'd find that an attractive quality. :sexface:
Reply 22

I've probably had more sex in this room than the rest of the guys on TSR combined. :cool:

Chicks go WILD for my Warhammer collection.
Any age above 25.
Reply 24
OP is rather shallow
Why move out as soon as you have enough money to? That's just stupid.
It depends on the set up really. You can be living with your parents but be completely independent, which isn't quite so bad, but equally I have some friends in their late 20s who's parents do their cooking, cleaning and washing.. now that is a little bit weird.

But in this economic climate, not many people can get enough money together to move out of their parents house, so it's nothing that can be helped really. Luckily my boyfriend has his own flat, but is unemployed at the moment and if he hadn't already bought and paid for a flat he would have had no choice but to move back in with his parents.
A lot of you are saying that in this economic climate it's a good idea to live at home, but personally I would judge (and I don't care if this sounds harsh) a guy who was living at home permanently if he was not looking after a parent, had never lived away at all, and could afford to move out. If I was living at home and could afford to move out, I would, because much as I love my family and enjoy their company I need my space to pursue an adult life. Admittedly I am not supporting myself financially, but I like the feeling of cooking and cleaning for myself. I'm at uni and really am only there for 6 or 7 months of the year, so technically I am not living away from home full time, but I do tend to find towards the end of the holidays that I need to get back to uni to get some space and start doing things my way. I moved to uni at 19 and even at that age, I felt like I'd missed out even in just the one year most of my friends had been at uni.
Everyone walks their own path. I couldn't imagine living "at home" again and I'm 20 but that's just me.
Reply 29
personally its trife living at home; so will plan on moving 1-2 years after graduation max. can't wait to be completely independent
Reply 30
Original post by Vagitarian
AaahhHahahahhaha. Loser.

Says the guy with the username "Vagitarian" - I bet the only vag you've ever eaten was in your wet dreams, or more probably nightmares. :wink:
Original post by harmony23
I've recently started seeing a guy, and he seem's really nice. But I can't help thinking it's really weird that he lives at home, aged 24. I know plenty of grads move back in after uni, but he's never moved out at all. He occupies a single bed in a little room that looks like it belongs to a teenage boy. He's worked full time since he graduated (though has been employed for about two months) so I don't understand what he did with his money, or why he's never felt the desire to spend it on moving out.

Do you think this is weird? What age is too old to be living with your parents?

Its never weird to live at home. If you have no home then your homeless :P
However, i dont concider myself weird and i have no plans to leave home anytime soon. All be it im in my last year of Uni, i think its only good sense to stay in a safe place, untill you know (or at least think) your ready to support yourself without too much trouble.

Or... He is a lil weird and ends up being like wolowitz from Big Bang Theory. :wink:
Reply 32
Original post by Climbontoyourseahorse
A lot of you are saying that in this economic climate it's a good idea to live at home, but personally I would judge (and I don't care if this sounds harsh) a guy who was living at home permanently if he was not looking after a parent, had never lived away at all, and could afford to move out. If I was living at home and could afford to move out, I would, because much as I love my family and enjoy their company I need my space to pursue an adult life. Admittedly I am not supporting myself financially, but I like the feeling of cooking and cleaning for myself. I'm at uni and really am only there for 6 or 7 months of the year, so technically I am not living away from home full time, but I do tend to find towards the end of the holidays that I need to get back to uni to get some space and start doing things my way. I moved to uni at 19 and even at that age, I felt like I'd missed out even in just the one year most of my friends had been at uni.

That's uni. Wait till you get to the real world and you'll find that its tough and not as easy as you think.
I think weirdness goes in a sliding scale from whenever you finish education when it's not weird until 30-35 at which point it's just plain weird. 24's a bit weird I suppose, but if rents quite expensive where he lives then it's probably sensible to work up the career ladder and get some savings first.
Reply 34
I moved back home for a bit when I was 23 after uni, and oddly it made me really uncomfortable - possibly because I'd not lived there since I was 17.

I can see how the issue arises though: people really do struggle to find a first job and there isn't the range of student support there used to be (not to mention some people just aren't really cut out for student halls and shared flats). So there are probably a lot more people in this boat.
I don't see it really posing a problem, it may just seem a little odd depending on your own level of independence. I wouldn't say a specific age that people should move out at as it depends on the situation, but to be asking this question on a forum suggests you're slightly worried about it? There may be financial issues surrounding it but I don't see that it's something to particularly find weird or wrong.
Reply 36
i think its fine as long as he doesnt act like ted from scrubs :tongue:
I don't think it's weird at 24. 34 and it would be an issue for me to be dating a guy that still lived at home and had never moved out. The economy isn't looking that good and who knows, maybe he's saving up his money so he can get a place of his own. He's still in his mid 20s.
well maybe he just lives there because he'd rather not live alone and didn't have anyone else to move out with until someone like yourself came along?
My sister is 34 and still lives at home with her partner of 7 years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending