The Student Room Group

help!! need hobbies...

I am currently in year twelve, studying my AS's, I aspire to study medicine. And know that uni's look for hobbies, except i don't currently have one. Any idea's?
Join choir...

Learn an instrument??

Take up a random sport???
Martial Arts are awesome. Just saying.
Reply 3
Reading is good. Read about your course and general literature.
Reply 4
gricing... develops observational skills and patience which are highly valued in medicine
Reply 5
You don't need to actually do them, just say you do and research enough about it so you know what you're talking about in the interview.
Reply 6
whats gricing?
Reply 7
Taking up a hobby just for the sake of a uni isnt the way to go. You should have a hobby because you like it. I've been through a variety of hobbies but they arent exactly the things uni's would probably aprechiate.

For a couple of years now I've been into FPV but it costs a lot but would suit those doing electrical engineering or degress orientated around RF or similar.

Or just lie to make yourself sound proactive etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Do volunteering in your community, don't bother with an unrelated hobby, I don't really think they care unless it will benefit their university, instead do tonnes of work experience to boost your PS and overall application :smile:
Reply 9
You need to think of something you'd be interested in rather than just plucking something from thin air.
Is there not something you've always wanted to try but never have? Now is the opporunity to take the plunge and try it!
Reply 10
Original post by amberz95
I am currently in year twelve, studying my AS's, I aspire to study medicine. And know that uni's look for hobbies, except i don't currently have one. Any idea's?

You could earn to play an instrument, do some reading, take up a sport, learn a foreign language, start travelling... and the list goes on

You don't want to be doing anything you don't like doing just to impress an admissions tutor.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
I don't really agree on the whole 'ticking a box' system associated with UCAS apps. But if there is a hobby that you've really wanted to do when younger, you may as well pursue it. I've always wanted to learn an instrument and luckily found time 2 years back to learn piano. Also wanted to get into water-sports, so started kayaking too. Just make sure you aren't doing anything because you feel you have to for the sake of your medical app.
(edited 12 years ago)
Team sports - Great hobby and shows you have good team working ability; interpersonal communication skills and even a chance to show a leadership role.

The perfect Med applicant hobby

Quick Reply

Latest