The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ummmm, yes?

Its an excellent chance to see how a big City law firm operates, understand what life might be like as a trainee and learn some of the skills you'll need at interview.

Or do you love your lectures so much that you'd rather miss that?!!
Reply 2
Lol I don't love lectures that much... just a little. The thing is that I've really gotta pull out the goods this semester and missing the first set of lectures maybe isn't the best of starts. Nevertheless, I’m sure that I can recover :smile:

I've heard a couple of negative things from people who have been on these trips. Maybe they paid for 1st class train tickets and only got reimbursed with the value of standard. Or perhaps they got embarrassed in some way during one of the workshops :confused:
Reply 3
Don't go.
If they're keen, they'll come to you (or your university).
Reply 4
Bristonian Lawyer
Don't go.
If they're keen, they'll come to you (or your university).

Disagree. They may be keen for students to see their offices and environment and get a first-hand experience of their culture and way of working.
Reply 5
Jeez.

Yes, no doubt Lovells will come to your Uni for a law fair. You'll get a chance to spend 10 minutes talking to a trainee and that will be it. You'll find out very little about the firm or what life is like as a lawyer. What is on offer here is a whole day with an extremely well regarded City firm. Masses of people post on here saying they don't know what firms are looking for come interview time - you've got a chance to hear first hand what they're looking for!

You can't miss opportunities like this.

Apols if I seem grumpy this morning - stunning morning in Sydney, the swell has picked up and I'm in the office...
Reply 6
Can't be that bad if you've got the time to post about on here Mr. Chalks :p: j/k

But it's ok your comments are as useful as always :smile:
Reply 7
Fortunately am on conference call so am able to do both...

Wasn't having go at you - was surprised by comment from Bristonian who seems to think that all you need to do is wait for the law firms to arrive at your door and wining/dining you.
Reply 8
Absolutely go ....

You have no idea about different firms at this stage, their environments, culture, offices, staff, etc etc., and any bit of information that you can pick up with be invaluable to you.

Even if you come out thinking "I hated that, it just didnt feel right" its better than thinking this after you've got a training contract with a firm.

Anything you can do to help you build up a picture of where you want to be / what sort of firm you want to be doing it in, can only be a good thing :smile:

Post and tell us how it went if you decide to go xx
Reply 9
Eww Lovells.

Haha no, definetly go. If anything if you do decide you like them then the fact you have made the effort to check them out first will really strengthen your application and help you get an interview. If you don't have a lot of work exp then you could also mention it in terms of your 'why commercial law' questions' on applications for other firms.

Go have fun, it is a free day out in London and hopefully a decent free lunch.
Reply 10
does anyone here know any place that offers law jobs for students in their gap years!
Reply 11
Hey, I just thought I'd post in here too as I've been offered a place to City law firms open day. I applied for a Vac scheme but the closing date isn't until the middle of february but they said in the mean time they'd like to invite me for an open day.

I spent quite a bit of time researching the firm before they came to our law firm and I really liked them, so I was really excited when they offered me the chance to go along!
Reply 12
was surprised by comment from Bristonian who seems to think that all you need to do is wait for the law firms to arrive at your door and wining/dining you

Ashurst, Slaughters, TLT have all come to Bristol and paid for us to go to the Royal Marriot....
Reply 13
You're missing my point in a quite spectacular way. Well done.
Reply 14
chalks

lol

Look, law firms use open days as a mini-assessment to decide if they want to invite you back for a TC interview/ vac scheme. No matter what they might say, they are assessing you.

Just go.
chalks

:biggrin: !
I've also been invited to attend an open day at a City law firm next week, although one thing I'm a tad unsure about is whether it would be advisable to wear a suit? I was instructed on the phone to dress 'smartly' (not necessarily a suit) so was wondering what other people opted for on the day? Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply 17
Mine has asked for us to dress in business attire, so I'm going to wear a suit. You could always wear the suit with a slightly less formal top underneath. I'm going to wear a shirt, but perhaps you could just wear a nice v neck under the suit jacket?
Reply 18
Wear a suit. Far better to feel overdressed than underdressed. Given that all the lawyers and grad rec will be wearing suits you'll feel at home. It might sound strange, but by dressing up a little you might feel a bit more "professional" and on the ball.
Reply 19
MissBrightside
I've also been invited to attend an open day at a City law firm next week, although one thing I'm a tad unsure about is whether it would be advisable to wear a suit? I was instructed on the phone to dress 'smartly' (not necessarily a suit) so was wondering what other people opted for on the day? Any advice would be appreciated!

I always wore a suit. Some people didn't. I certainly didn't feel out of place.

Latest

Trending

Trending