The Student Room Group

So, you want to go to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student2806
Depends how confident or unconfident you are. I drove around Sydney a fair bit for one of my jobs. It was daunting at first, driving a Transit size van around Sydney on my own, but I got used to it very quickly.
One thing I will say is beware not to waste your money on lessons unless a job is pretty much guaranteed. Very few employers will employ a foreign backpacker as a driver, so taking lessons in anticipation of getting a driving job is a huge risk.

Ok. I'm not so much looking for driving jobs, but some au pair jobs in particular ask for a driving licence, I guess for driving around the kids to places, especially in areas where public transport isn't plentiful. Not just that, but from what I've witnessed, Australians seem to drive so crazily here, often nearly hitting crossing passengers! That alone makes me nervous :o:. That's where I'm wondering it might be good to practise before taking it on, even if it's just one lesson.
Hi there, looking to go on a working holiday for three months between school and uni (maybe longer if I don't get in).
Has anyone done it? How much dd it cost you?
Which company did you use? Ozintro is the one I'm looking at?
what kind do jobs did you do? We're they easy to get?
did you have enough time to go sight seeing?
sorry for all the questions!
Hey I'm thinking about taking year out after uni to do this, but the thought of not getting a job and running out of money terrifies me! I don't have bar/waitressing experience because my part-time job throughout uni has been in a call centre (research not sales). Is this sort of office work easy to come by or would bars be happy to hire people without experience?
Reply 183
Original post by gossipgirly
Hey I'm thinking about taking year out after uni to do this, but the thought of not getting a job and running out of money terrifies me! I don't have bar/waitressing experience because my part-time job throughout uni has been in a call centre (research not sales). Is this sort of office work easy to come by or would bars be happy to hire people without experience?

Calls centres have a very high turnover rate here, you should definitely be able to find something even if you don't have previous sales experience
Hey guys :smile:
I'm heading to Sydney and doing a week with Ultimate Oz starting Monday 10th June. I will be in Australia for 2 months after that over the summer holiday. Are short term jobs in Sydney (1 month say) difficult to come by, and where abouts would be the best place to look?
Thanks!
I've been searching for jobs everywhere here for about 6 weeks now and still haven't managed to secure anything. Man, why is this so hard? FML :frown:

Call centre jobs are probably the most readily available jobs for backpackers in Australia.
Look on any jobs website and every second or third advert will be for telemarketing. I had no experience and pretty much walked into two. Beware though, 99% will be commission only and (you might know this already with your experience) cold calling people is about as soul-destroying as a job can get. I can honestly say I'd rather clean toilets than do commission-only cold calling.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I've been searching for jobs everywhere here for about 6 weeks now and still haven't managed to secure anything. Man, why is this so hard? FML :frown:

Whereabouts are you?
Original post by Student2806
Whereabouts are you?

Melbourne. I'd rather not leave yet because of my new boyfriend here who's staying for about two months, but things are getting trickier as the weeks go by with no job. I'm at a point where I've started getting money from my parents now as my own savings have run out. I keep seeing ads in my hostel about getting paid $200 for nude photo shoots, and it looks very tempting to a desperate girl like me, but I worry it'd be too dodgy for me to get involved in something like that. I'm just hoping someone will pick me as an au pair very soon, but if that still fails after a couple of weeks, maybe I will go do volunteer farm work then go home after 3 months cos Australia just sucks with no money :frown:
Melbourne. I'd rather not leave yet because of my new boyfriend here who's staying for about two months, but things are getting trickier as the weeks go by with no job. I'm at a point where I've started getting money from my parents now as my own savings have run out. I keep seeing ads in my hostel about getting paid $200 for nude photo shoots, and it looks very tempting to a desperate girl like me, but I worry it'd be too dodgy for me to get involved in something like that. I'm just hoping someone will pick me as an au pair very soon, but if that still fails after a couple of weeks, maybe I will go do volunteer farm work then go home after 3 months cos Australia just sucks with no money :frown:

arghh that sucks :frown: and also quite worrying...! have you been applying for all jobs or something in particular? I'm so worried about running out of money while i'm there, think i'll have about £3500 by the time i go and planning to do a bit of travelling for the first month so i dont know how long that will last me while looking for a job :\
Original post by Anna123454321
arghh that sucks :frown: and also quite worrying...! have you been applying for all jobs or something in particular? I'm so worried about running out of money while i'm there, think i'll have about £3500 by the time i go and planning to do a bit of travelling for the first month so i dont know how long that will last me while looking for a job :\

Yeah, I have been trying for jobs in retail, cleaning, hospitality, au pairing, farming, admin, etc. No luck so far though. I did hear something about Australia being racist, and I'm black so sometimes I worry whether that is a factor in why it's so hard for me to get employed :sad:. I also came with about £3500, which pretty much all ran out after about 2.5 months and I'm now on money I've asked for from parents, and might need to ask for more again soon if I don't get a job very quickly yet. I also did just travelling for the first month and didn't bother looking for work in that month, but in hindsight I wonder if I might have been better off searching for work a lot earlier.

That's just my experience though, as I know some lucky sods who have gotten jobs much more easily. My boyfriend and his best friend are tradesmen and just go for work in their trades, and it's been pretty easy for them to get work compared to me with no trade or profession. I don't want to give up just yet though, I'm still waiting to hear back from a few interviews for retail and au pairing so will just wait and see what happens in the next week or so.
Original post by JO FO SHO
Hey guys :smile:
I'm heading to Sydney and doing a week with Ultimate Oz starting Monday 10th June. I will be in Australia for 2 months after that over the summer holiday. Are short term jobs in Sydney (1 month say) difficult to come by, and where abouts would be the best place to look?
Thanks!

Hi. Sorry I can't answer your question, but I did UltimateOz and it was pretty great :smile:. It's pretty much as exciting as it's made out to be on their website and Facebook :yep:. Although I'm not travelling with any of my group at the moment, I have kept in touch with a few of them on Facebook and arranged to meet up with one in Melbourne. So it's OK for making friends depending on how lucky you are with the type of people you get grouped with, though I have to admit I've made some better friends just by talking to people in the hostels I meet, separate from UltimateOz. I'd still say it's worth it though for all the fun activities that get organised for you, as well as the admin stuff for work and travel :smile:
Original post by Officegirl4
Hi there, looking to go on a working holiday for three months between school and uni (maybe longer if I don't get in).
Has anyone done it? How much dd it cost you?
Which company did you use? Ozintro is the one I'm looking at?
what kind do jobs did you do? We're they easy to get?
did you have enough time to go sight seeing?
sorry for all the questions!

Hi. I know your post is from a while ago but noticed no one gas answered it yet so just thought I'd give it a shot.

I came with about £3500 ($5000 AUD), but it runs out after about 2 months so I recommend trying to find work as soon as possible when you arrive. Australia is quite expensive, especially with the costs of long term hostelling so be careful with your finances. Honestly, if I didn't gave a generous dad to help me with money, I'd be screwed right now :o:

I was considering OzIntro, but went with UltimateOz because it had some more stuff included with it, though it does cost more but I found it worth it. Both companies seem to overall have very good reviews so hopefully you should be happy with either :smile:. I even made a document clearly comparing the two if you wanted me to show you it? :smile: There are many backpackers though who don't go with a company at all and just sort out everything by themselves, which is fine too and possibly cheaper, depending on what you want to do.

Haha, as you can probably see by my earlier posts, I haven't worked yet and I'm really struggling to get anything at the moment, so i can't really help you with that. And yep, I'm always having plenty if time to sightsee, especially with not working :p:. You could probably still sightsee and work anyway, depending on your hours and how much free time you get :yep:
Hi. Sorry I can't answer your question, but I did UltimateOz and it was pretty great :smile:. It's pretty much as exciting as it's made out to be on their website and Facebook :yep:. Although I'm not travelling with any of my group at the moment, I have kept in touch with a few of them on Facebook and arranged to meet up with one in Melbourne. So it's OK for making friends depending on how lucky you are with the type of people you get grouped with, though I have to admit I've made some better friends just by talking to people in the hostels I meet, separate from UltimateOz. I'd still say it's worth it though for all the fun activities that get organised for you, as well as the admin stuff for work and travel :smile:

Aw that's good to hear :smile: Are you kept busy for the full day or is there time to do whatever? I can't wait, I have a countdown on my phone and everything haha
Yeah, I have been trying for jobs in retail, cleaning, hospitality, au pairing, farming, admin, etc. No luck so far though. I did hear something about Australia being racist, and I'm black so sometimes I worry whether that is a factor in why it's so hard for me to get employed :sad:. I also came with about £3500, which pretty much all ran out after about 2.5 months and I'm now on money I've asked for from parents, and might need to ask for more again soon if I don't get a job very quickly yet. I also did just travelling for the first month and didn't bother looking for work in that month, but in hindsight I wonder if I might have been better off searching for work a lot earlier.

That's just my experience though, as I know some lucky sods who have gotten jobs much more easily. My boyfriend and his best friend are tradesmen and just go for work in their trades, and it's been pretty easy for them to get work compared to me with no trade or profession. I don't want to give up just yet though, I'm still waiting to hear back from a few interviews for retail and au pairing so will just wait and see what happens in the next week or so.

Yeah, I think I might have some problems too as I only have a bit of retail experience and very little admin experience... guess it's just down to luck. fingers crossed for you though! let us know how it goes :smile:

This the same situation I am in, I finish in may and graduate in july and want to go around january time (i need time to save up)!
Original post by JO FO SHO
Aw that's good to hear :smile: Are you kept busy for the full day or is there time to do whatever? I can't wait, I have a countdown on my phone and everything haha

Yeah, there is usually always a bit of free time each day for you to do your own thing :yep:
cherry - have you tried the helpx website? at least youll save some money on accommodation while your looking for work.
Reply 198
Has anyone had any experience of just working for a month? Myself and a few friends are looking to come to AUS, NZ and SE Asia, but I don't think we could afford both AUS and NZ. So I was wondering if we could visit NZ (For a month roughly?) then just work somewhere for a month (in AUS) then travel the east coast for a month.

Anyone think this would work?

Cheers
Reply 199
I've been considering going to Australia to get some work.

Well, correctly speaking I'm still in my 2nd year of university and working at the same time in retail. But I wanted to get some experience of work in another continent. Especially because of the fact that the firms I'm aiming at would really value this experience, I believe.

The only trepidation I have is getting there and not finding anything. So, perhaps anyone has ever secured a place at X company whilst in the UK BEFORE going to work for them in Australia? As I see that as a much more viable option.

I'm aiming to join a corporate/commercial firm when I graduate (hopefully!) so I really want to get experience in a professional environment, just something that would have relevance to applying to those grad roles when I get back to the UK. I haven't had a research on this point (yet) but has anyone gone on a WHV in a corporate environment?

Exams are around the corner so I won't be jeopardising my results by using time researching now, so last Q is will I be too late to look once exams finish on the 29th May??

Thank you for any tips given!

Quick Reply

Latest