The Student Room Group

The Oxford 2012 Results Day Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fluteflute
Last time was fun... not that it was particularly TSRy. It was just very... me :tongue:

I've just managed to rate about three posts in this thread! It's very unusual!

I wish that when you got PRSOM you could still rate posts, but without it giving rep. (Like liking something on fb!)

"This is my friend. This is my other friend. This is my online friend. This is my other other friend." :biggrin: And then we had that casual sign in case anyone else turned up. And then you LEFT and I had to exaggerate my Scottish accent to avoid being mocked by Northerners! :frown:
Original post by Niki_girl

I learnt some Greek today :biggrin: the difference between the words "homoousios" and "homoiousios" for the theological debate in the early Christian church about whether Jesus was "the same as" (and therefore equal to) or just "of a like nature" to God.

this reminds me that i need to learn some Koine greek :biggrin: I love this sort of thing, amazing how such a minor difference can alter meaning so fundamentally

My class are really immature, they kept shouting stuff like "get Snape out of Azkaban!" and "Where's Harry?", I don't really think that they could even follow the film, one boy even asked "why aren't they using magic in this film, they do in the others?" :lolwut:

:lol: people in my school do similar things whenever we watch just about any serious film. Some people have really small attention spans :lolwut:

Lol, awkward, my step-mother's family are connected to the UVF. Small world.

gtfo :fuhrer:

loljk
I actually know someone personally who was in the UDA. he's changed his sectarian ways now though :moon:

Ah the Old Testament :rolleyes: we have to learn a lot of prophecies from Jewish scripture for our New Testament Theology paper, namely references from Psalms and Isaiah, but also some of the Jewish laws from Deutronomy and Leviticus...and some random verses from Daniel 7:13 about the Son of Man...or something like that...and today we discussed the significance of the Davidic line in reference to Jesus :yep:

Nice. I love the old Testament, and i love reading it in Hebrew - English translations don't really convey the line of thought the Hebrew does very well. well, that's how it seems to me, probably not explaining it very well. I shoudl have done AS re or english instead of physics :frown: i'm jealous of you and the interesting things you study
Reply 982
Original post by such_a_lady
Hello you wonderful woman! I demand a hot-chocolate-related meet-up in October!

Yeah, like did you see the thread where someone was like, what's so special about going to Oxbridge anyway, and pretty much everyone said something along the lines of "You can lord it over everyone on TSR"...

Well, and so what? I'm not speaking about the Facebook group here, because quite a few people on there seem to be popular, bright people with actual friends and stuff, but I know a fair few of us TSR-lurkers have got lots of crap in the past, right now, or have been bullied just for being nerdy. I am probably the stereotype of a future Oxford student (Ts and Cs apply): I have next to no friends, almost zero social life, a ridiculously high post count on here, spent my entire childhood reading instead of developing social skills, met my boyfriend on an internet forum instead of at a party, never get invited to said parties, but when I do, turn invitations down, don't drink, spend all day in the library instead of the common room, and adore my subject to the extent that I correct my teachers, analyse grammar while I speak, actually get excited about arguments with my boyfriend because I always learn new words when we fight, and read more German books than English ones. I realise this does not make me any better than the slightly more normal people who have also got offers, but I think I can speak for a few people here when I say that being able to say "I got into Oxford" makes up for the years of loneliness, of being intimidated and put down by people, for being purposely ignored yet again as all your friends get invited somewhere and it's only you that doesn't, for being treated like a basket case at the supermarket where you work, where most people your age will probably stay there forever.

But really, you can't say "I'm going to Oxford" with your head held high, can you? Unless you want to look like an arrogant prick. Because if you answer "Oxford" when people our age ask where you're going, you either have to answer defensively or very quickly and hope they didn't hear. And either you get "Oh right well I know like so many people going to Oxford or Cambridge this year" (Translation: "Don't think that you're special, nerd. You're not."), "Aren't they charging like the 9000 pound fees? Uni's a bit of a waste of money" (Translation: "You mug paying for a fancy education when I can be making money"), "They're so snobby though" ("You won't fit in"), "Aren't the suicide rates the highest there?" ("Let me put you down a bit more and impress on you how you're going to fail miserably while thinking you're special"), "Aren't places like LSE and UCL just as good now?" ("Again, don't even try thinking you're special."), and my personal favourite, "Oh did you see that amazing letter that that girl sent? You know, the rejection letter. That was hilarious - so well written, I found it so funny and really brave." ("Now you're just boring and conformist by not rejecting them. THE SYSTEM IS CORRUPT MAN AND YOU'RE PART OF IT.")

These are mainly from my work colleagues. People in my year at college are quite nice. I'm now treated like part of the furniture, like the batty old aunt at Christmas, but I've also had some really patronising responses from adults too.

When people say "OMG you must be so smart!" what on earth are you meant to say to that!?!?

Original post by anyone_can_fly

The whole school seems to know me as "that girl who took advanced higher maths in fifth year", so Oxford isn't really adding anything. The main reaction up here is "you must have lots of money, then", which you can laugh off and say that you'll just be massively in debt.

The best reactions I've had are hugs, especially when other people seem as excited as you are. My physics teacher was also pretty awesome - I think she'd managed to tell half the teachers in the school by the end of break!

I'd also like an answer to "OMG you must be so smart". Anyone have any suggestions?

I teaching assist* an S1 history class a few times a week, and since January, I've been christened Oxford boy, and every five minutes one of them asks me if I'm gonna join the rowing team, or if I'm gonna meet the prime minister, or wear a suit to bed, or marry harry potter...

(*is that the correct phrase?)

Whenever people say "OMG you must be so smart!" to me, I reply with "No, I just work hard..."

This is meant to be all quasi-inspirational (anyone can do it if they try, believe in yourself etc) but I have a feeling it annoys people even more than if I just said: "I know, I have more highers than your entire (Int 1) Maths class..."

It's an impossible situation. Whatever I say I sound either arrogant, dismissive or ungrateful!

(First world problems!!!)
Original post by candide
I teaching assist* an S1 history class a few times a week, and since January, I've been christened Oxford boy, and every five minutes one of them asks me if I'm gonna join the rowing team, or if I'm gonna meet the prime minister, or wear a suit to bed, or marry harry potter...

(*is that the correct phrase?)

Whenever people say "OMG you must be so smart!" to me, I reply with "No, I just work hard..."

This is meant to be all quasi-inspirational (anyone can do it if they try, believe in yourself etc) but I have a feeling it annoys people even more than if I just said: "I know, I have more highers than your entire (Int 1) Maths class..."

It's an impossible situation. Whatever I say I sound either arrogant, dismissive or ungrateful!

(First world problems!!!)

I can't use that one because I don't always work hard - only when I need to or it's interesting (ruling out most of AH stats, for example). Our school's not that bad, I don't think it's got around so much. I suppose I can always point people the way of the girl taking 4 AHs with an offer for Medicine from Cambridge.

Anyway, are you going to marry Harry Potter?
Reply 984
I can't use that one because I don't always work hard - only when I need to or it's interesting (ruling out most of AH stats, for example). Our school's not that bad, I don't think it's got around so much. I suppose I can always point people the way of the girl taking 4 AHs with an offer for Medicine from Cambridge.

Anyway, are you going to marry Harry Potter?

I don't work half as hard as people think I do. I've kind of cultivated this image of being a workaholic so I can get out of doing things by saying 'homework' when in reality I'm watching Dr Who and eating nachos.

Ahhh but Maths > Medicine.

and, if only I was a year older and already at Oxford, and it coulda been Hermione...
Reading this thread makes me so excited about October! I hope everyone at Oxford is as awesome as the people on here...

(although maybe you should be slightly less awesome, as you are causing me to procrastinate :tongue:)

"This is my friend. This is my other friend. This is my online friend. This is my other other friend." :biggrin: And then we had that casual sign in case anyone else turned up. And then you LEFT and I had to exaggerate my Scottish accent to avoid being mocked by Northerners! :frown:
My leaving was a little unfortunate :tongue: Good job there won't be any more of those pesky interview things in the future!
Original post by candide
I don't work half as hard as people think I do. I've kind of cultivated this image of being a workaholic so I can get out of doing things by saying 'homework' when in reality I'm watching Dr Who and eating nachos
So true :tongue:
Original post by candide
I don't work half as hard as people think I do. I've kind of cultivated this image of being a workaholic so I can get out of doing things by saying 'homework' when in reality I'm watching Dr Who and eating nachos.

Ahhh but Maths > Medicine.

and, if only I was a year older and already at Oxford, and it coulda been Hermione...

I work at physics cos I like the teacher, at French because we get set tons of work so even doing three-quarters of it is a lot, and...yes... then there's stats. I have friends who work much harder than me. And my parents don't seem to believe that I do any work at all.

Maths > everything on this planet, but most people don't seem to believe that. And medicine sounds more impressive.

Original post by fluteflute
Reading this thread makes me so excited about October! I hope everyone at Oxford is as awesome as the people on here...

(although maybe you should be slightly less awesome, as you are causing me to procrastinate :tongue:)

My leaving was a little unfortunate :tongue: Good job there won't be any more of those pesky interview things in the future!

Yes, I've been procrastinating viola practice all evening. It's the whole getting it out its case, and then you have to tune, and then my bow might need rosining, and by then it's hardly worth playing! :ninja: Also very excited. I only have 23 school days left! No, but there will be tutorials. Which you're meant to have prepared for, so they're arguably worse.
Hi all,

I have a deferred place (for 2012 entry) at Oxford, and just wondered what stage everyone was at?

Does anyone know when we should be receiving "welcome packs" as it were, such as finance and accomodation forms, etc? Has anyone got them already?

Just want to make sure I'm on top of things as I will be off travelling for a good 3 months and don't want any nasty surprises when I come back!

Mods, apologies if you think this needs to go into a "chat" thread or anything... :smile:

Thanks!
I got something about accomodation from Keble already, but I guess it depends on the college :smile:
Original post by such_a_lady
x

That last post made me want to give you a hug, so here it is! :hugs:

We are definitely having a meet-up in October! If I actually make it

Don't worry about being the stereotype or anything, as long as you're happy with your life, then that's the main thing :smile: Oh, and there's nothing wrong with loving your subject, or being in the library rather than the common room - I prefer the library at my school, and I prefer the silent study room :tongue: PS, the Sixth Form area at my school is pretty much a mess, nothing works in it and there's rubbish everywhere...

Sounds like you've had a hard time, but come October potentially that could all change, and I think part of the excitement of Oxford is the idea of being around like-minded people, where the academics mean everything (i.e, everyone is really passionate about their subject), and yet nothing (no-one can be judged for their academic abilities, because everyone will be at a high standard, and so the other qualities of a person, which would normally be overlooked, will become more apparent) at the same time.

As for the reactions of other people, I sometimes think that they just don't know how to react when you say which university you're going to, and so out of jealousy/confusion/ general awkwardness and misunderstanding they say the wrong thing, because they don't know what else to say, or how to react to someone who seems so different from themselves :dontknow:
Original post by emmaaa88
I got something about accomodation from Keble already, but I guess it depends on the college :smile:

Would you happen to know if others have as well/ mind going into a little detail about what it said?

Yeah, I figured that would be the case- and also that they might wait until the UCAS deadline so they could mass-mail to everyone who had "firm"ed or "insurance"d them....

Worth panicking over? :s-smilie:
Original post by TsarinaMeg
Would you happen to know if others have as well/ mind going into a little detail about what it said?

Yeah, I figured that would be the case- and also that they might wait until the UCAS deadline so they could mass-mail to everyone who had "firm"ed or "insurance"d them....

Worth panicking over? :s-smilie:

Definitely no need to panic! I've just generally noticed Keble are pretty efficient (I was one of the first on TSR to get a decision I think) so it's not the norm :smile:

If you're interested, it was quite nice to get, started with 'dear fresher' which scared me a little bit :eek: and went into detail about the different types of accomodation and price bands, then I had to send back a form indicating which price band I'd like to pay for rooms. That was it really! :smile:
wooo, finally got 5 offers and firmed Oxford and I FEEL GOOD NANA NA NANANA NA
Original post by silverspoonmess

Nice one :biggrin: Still waiting for two replies that are potential insurances... it's good to know that unis are just as last minute about our education as we are about homework :tongue:
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
You're right, some (most?) colleges wait until after A-level results. No need to panic - unless you've heard that your college has sent information to everyone else and not you!

Thanks! I don't know anyone going to my college D: I think I'll go try and find a chat thread or something... :cool:
Most colleges wait until after a-levels results (around 20th August usually), especially the ones without price bands to sort out.
Original post by silverspoonmess

Congratulations. :smile: It's a great feeling, isn't it...
Original post by KingMessi
Congratulations. :smile: It's a great feeling, isn't it...

Sure is :biggrin:, once I got over the fear I might have accidentaly firmed the wrong place - seems so easily done! Well not really, but y'know, can't hurt to be cautious about these things
Oxbridge offer-holder problem No. 1: "How to deal with people telling you how smart you are" :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending