The Student Room Group

Names which you mispronounced for years, before eventually realising...

Scroll to see replies

diplodocus For about 10 years I've pronounced it

Dip-low-dough-cus

Found out last week upon visiting the Natural History Museum. :facepalm:
Reply 781
Penelope! - Read a whole book calling her, Peenie lope. Until my mum nearly wet herself when i told her what the book was about :s
John, i used to say "joe-on" hahaha
Che! I had never heard anyone else say it. I had only read it. I though it was Ch-e instead of 'shay'
Original post by Danf159
Pretty sure my pronunciations here are wrong.

Peugeot as per-jo
Porsche as por-shay
renault as re-nolt
Keynes (as in John Maynard Keynes) as key-nees

I say Peugeot like Pu-ge-ot. Haha.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 785
It's not something I do, but I hate it when people call me "Pol" or "Pole" instead of "Paul"!
Reply 786
I used to think:
"Lesotho" was "LEH-soh-thoh" instead of "li-ZOO-too".
Niger was "NIGH-jer" instead of "nee-ZHAIR"
archipelago as "AR-chippy-lah-go" instead of "ar-kee-PE-la-goh"

Does anyone think of the company Braun as "Bra-unn" instead of "Brown" or "Brawn" (probably because of the larger A in the logo)? I did until I heard an advert haha :tongue:
Reply 787
I pronounced Isla as it's spelt up until about a month ago when my friend went 'It's ILA!'
Embarrassing at 19...
everything irish :colonhash:

Niamh - Neev
Caiomhe -Keevah
Siobhan - Shivawn
:angry:

Surely it should be Nigh-am-huh, Kay-oh-me and Sigh-ob-han :colondollar:
Siobhan.

I always said it how it looked. Even though I was constantly corrected, I could never quite remember how to pronounce it.
Original post by manchesterunited15
everything irish :colonhash:

Niamh - Neev
Caiomhe -Keevah
Siobhan - Shivawn
:angry:

Surely it should be Nigh-am-huh, Kay-oh-me and Sigh-ob-han :colondollar:

Why should it? These names are all in Irish, and they make perfect sense to people who speak it. They make NO sense whatsoever in English or to English-speakers, but then, they weren't meant to and it is a very different language. Not to get on my high horse or anything but if you were looking at Native American names for example you wouldn't be too surprised if you couldn't pronounce them and you would not suggest they should be spelled phonetically to suit you. I understand that Irish names have travelled fairly extensively to the UK but the principle is the same. You can show me an Irish name I've never heard before and I will still pronounce it correctly. It depends on your knowledge of the language which will be zero in the UK.

Also, Caoimhe is a big victim of becoming popular abroad. Its correct pronunciation is Kwee-vah, not kee-vah, but the w is always lost in the UK!:biggrin: When there was a Big Brother contestant with that name and the narrator was saying 'KEEEEEvah is in the kitchen' I was all ehh what, what have they done to her name...
Original post by DotComBoom
Siobhan.

I always said it how it looked. Even though I was constantly corrected, I could never quite remember how to pronounce it.

This name seems to cause the greatest difficulty (It is shuv-awn by the way). There are plenty that are far harder and much more incomprehensible-looking but they're nowhere near as popular as Aoife, Niamh and Siobhán abroad. Give a go at Sadhbh, Meadhbh, Caoilfhionn, Béibhinn, Gráinne and Oisínn..:biggrin:

Spoiler....rhymes with I've, rhymes with wave, keel-in, bay-vin, grawn-yah and ush-een
Carlisle. *hangs head in shame* I thought it was pronounced like "Car-lee-sleh" I didn't think that it was isle like island.
Reply 793
Original post by sammy-lou
same, literally until I was about 13

You are a lass so you knew it when you were 13. I didnt know until few months back lol.:wink:
Original post by Tackla
You are a lass so you knew it when you were 13. I didnt know until few months back lol.:wink:

Haha yeah I suppose it's not a word that finds its way in to a mans vocabulary very much!
Reply 795
I always thought Lois was pronounced loice, as in rhymes with voice :L
Original post by StarsAreFixed
Why should it? These names are all in Irish, and they make perfect sense to people who speak it. They make NO sense whatsoever in English or to English-speakers, but then, they weren't meant to and it is a very different language. Not to get on my high horse or anything but if you were looking at Native American names for example you wouldn't be too surprised if you couldn't pronounce them and you would not suggest they should be spelled phonetically to suit you. I understand that Irish names have travelled fairly extensively to the UK but the principle is the same. You can show me an Irish name I've never heard before and I will still pronounce it correctly. It depends on your knowledge of the language which will be zero in the UK.

Also, Caoimhe is a big victim of becoming popular abroad. Its correct pronunciation is Kwee-vah, not kee-vah, but the w is always lost in the UK!:biggrin: When there was a Big Brother contestant with that name and the narrator was saying 'KEEEEEvah is in the kitchen' I was all ehh what, what have they done to her name...

I was joking about the pronunciation, it's just really confusing :biggrin:
Reply 797
Lingerie used to pronounce it as lin-ger-ie :colondollar:
Original post by manchesterunited15
I was joking about the pronunciation, it's just really confusing :biggrin:

Ah fair enough so, just I have heard before what you said..er..said seriously.:biggrin:
Reply 799
Original post by sammy-lou
Haha yeah I suppose it's not a word that finds its way in to a mans vocabulary very much!

I have come across online when seeing pics of models advertising a brand of lingerie. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending