The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It depends on what else you're applying for. If you are using your other five choices on History, don't focus too much on Languages, and vice versa. I think it's a mistake to direct your PS entirely at Oxford. Rather, you should use it as a means of communicating with the universities that won't give you an interview. For the Oxford course you'll have the Oxford application form (with space for an additional statement) and of course the interview, which, in my opinion is FAR more important than either of the statements.
Reply 2
jamierwilliams
i have the intentions of studying History (modern) & Modern Languages at Oxford. How on earth would I go about writing a personal statement for this: would I have to talk about history and modern languages separately since no other universities offer this course??

You need to consider the connections between history and (modern) languages as part of the course is a bridge paper. I think this covers stuff like the 'linguistic turn' in history. Although much of the the course is drawn from the two subjects I believe you will need to show some grasp of the interconnections. There are very few places for the joint schools so make sure it is what you really want to do and isn't seen as lack of focus.

In terms of the PS there is never an easy fit when a uni has an unusual course and it's your first choice. Unfortunately you probably need to risk it bothering the other unis to get your point across.
Reply 3
jamierwilliams
i have the intentions of studying History (modern) & Modern Languages at Oxford. How on earth would I go about writing a personal statement for this: would I have to talk about history and modern languages separately since no other universities offer this course??

Loads of universities offer this course.
I was told that your PS is sent to all the unis you apply to but you can also send a specially amended one to oxford with all the extra stuff you have to send them when you apply. Thats might get around the problem nicely... :smile:
Reply 5
Which language are you hoping to study? If it was Spanish for example you could mention that you have a particular interest in Spanish culture and history as languages at Oxbridge have a literary focus. Just an idea.
Reply 6
it would probably be french, maybe german
Reply 7
There are many uni's that offer similar courses-

Latest

Trending

Trending