The Student Room Group

Should Diane Abbott Resign, I'd expect if she was white she would have to.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16423278

Is it generally agreed if this was a white MP the chances of them being forced to resign would be extremely high.

If we do not see her resign is this just another example of Double Standards?

What do you think, my personal opinion is that in our current society the levels of hypocrisy and double standards relating to race are extremely high.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
she should be sacked. if labour party do not sack her then obviously they will be proven to be a racist party.
Reply 2
Yes, she should resign/be sacked. If a white person had said the same thing this would be the result.
Reply 3
She should resign, this is not the first time she has made such remarks either. It is unacceptable to have an MP let alone a member of the shadow cabinet come out with these views, be they black, white or purple.
(edited 12 years ago)
She definitely won't be sacked I imagine, for fear of [The Labour Party and Ed Miliband] being accused of, somewhat ironically, racism.

I personally think she should resign, she hasn't done herself any favours, or alleviated the racial tension that unfortunately still exists. That said, I also don't believe that phrases like 'the black community' or 'black community leaders' does any use to this issue either.

EDIT: We also mustn't forget some of the things she's said in the past which is leading people to believe she does infact have some issues with 'whites'.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yes she should resign. Racist comments are racist comments regardless.

Edit: I would quite like the person who nagged me to explain when a racist comment isn't a racist comment ...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DdotT

Is it generally agreed if this was a white MP the chances of them being forced to resign would be extremely high.

If we do not see her resign is this just another example of Double Standard?

What do you think, my personal opinion is that in our current society the levels of hypocrisy and double standards relating to race are extremely high.

Well, she didn't call me a cracker but all the same, she is clearly trapped in a racial mindset.

No place for a 'dem whiteys' or any ethnic slant in government.

Hopefully she gets the sack. She should be free to think whatever she wants of white people....but not in government.
No she shouldn't be forced to resign, Diane Abbott is terrible at getting her point across sometimes but I agree with her that the white political establishment's adoption of phrases like 'black community leaders' creates a kind of rift which distances the MPs of black communities from the 'normal politicians'. Diane Abbott should however be forced to run **** by her PR people before saying it because using 'white people' as shorthand for the political establishment is scandalous in her position and this isn't the first time she's made a pretty damaging gaffe

Besides which, she is the democratically elected representative of Hackney and that is meant to mean something. There's a good deal of politicians who have enraged me but their position is democracy in action and the only people who should call for them to resign is their constituents, not me
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Nope I don't. I believe she shouldn't of said it but black people have been at the root of discrimination for centuries.

Plus any white people who take this seriously and get offended are racists themselves, because IMO being proud to be white makes you a racist. If you didn't care about being white, then this wouldn't offend you.
Reply 9
Resign/sacked - as per the original poster.
Here's a good example of the double standard at work right now

BBC News invite the Chief Executive of the Race Equality Foundation to comment on Diane Abbot's tweet.

If Nick Clegg had said "Black people love to commit crime. We should not expose ourselves to them where we could be vulnerable" the Chief Executive would be calling for his resignation. We all know this.

But when it's Diane Abbot making the comment, implying white people are scheming and plotting to divide the black community, the person who is supposed to protect the British public from such rhetoric ends up DEFENDING her!

It's bull****. It's double standards...and she's going to get away with it.
she has form for this.

The infamous 'blonde blue eyed white nurses' comment

And calling cameron and clegg 'posh white boys'. This calls into question her suitability to be a member of parliament as she must represent people of all ethnic groups fairly and without prejudice

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1280358/Diane-Abbott-race-row-calling-Cameron-Clegg-posh-white-boys.html
Original post by Gnobe

Plus any white people who take this seriously and get offended are racists themselves

Or maybe just trying to protect themselves from double standards?

Original post by Gnobe
because IMO being proud to be white makes you a racist.

As does being proud to be black right?

Original post by Gnobe
If you didn't care about being white, then this wouldn't offend you.

Many people don't care about being white. They care about discriminated against and generalised for being white by a black racist politician.
Reply 13
Original post by Gnobe
Nope I don't. I believe she shouldn't of said it but black people have been at the root of discrimination for centuries.

Plus any white people who take this seriously and get offended are racists themselves, because IMO being proud to be white makes you a racist. If you didn't care about being white, then this wouldn't offend you.

Sorry wtf are you going on about, seriously wtf?!
Original post by Gnobe
IMO being proud to be white makes you a racist. If you didn't care about being white, then this wouldn't offend you.

Would you say the same about being proud to be black?
Of course she should. Imagine the **** this would cause if a white PM said something about black people in a similar context, or any other race for that matter!
Reply 16
Original post by JCC-MGS
No she shouldn't be forced to resign, Diane Abbott is terrible at getting her point across sometimes but I agree with her that the white political establishment's adoption of phrases like 'black community leaders' creates a kind of rift which distances the MPs of black communities from the 'normal politicians'. Diane Abbott should however be forced to run **** by her PR people before saying it because using 'white people' as shorthand for the political establishment is scandalous in her position and this isn't the first time she's made a pretty damaging gaffe

Besides which, she is the democratically elected representative of Hackney and that is meant to mean something. There's a good deal of politicians who have enraged me but their position is democracy in action and the only people who should call for them to resign is their constituents, not me

Yeah I hate talk of these self appointed community leaders.
Reply 17
Make a poll!!!

and yes she should be sacked. Her being let off gives the idea that white people can never be the victim of racism, and are only ever the source.

and i say that being mixed race
Reply 18
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Would you say the same about being proud to be black?

Potentially, it would depend on the context.

Usually when a black person says they're proud to black they say it because of the discrimination they've suffered over the years and the fight for the same rights/freedoms as others and are proud of that. That to me is fine.

If a black person said they're proud to be black because they feel racially superior to other races, then no that is wrong. But I don't think most black people say that.
Reply 19
Original post by DdotT

If we do not see her resign is this just another example of Double Standards?

make a poll!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending