Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle accommodation thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by babes1112
victoria hall , windsor terrace then central link for single ensuite
then
windsor terrace and marris house for single with washbasin. wbu?

castle court, windsor terrace, castle leazes single en suite
windsor terrace, marris house, castle leazes single washbasin :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 101
Applied a few weeks ago myself

Ensuite:
- Castle Court
- Windsor Terrace
- Castle Leazes

Washbasin:
- Marris House
- Windsor Terrace
- No third choice

Hopefully having an unconditional offer will mean i get my first choice, Castle Court looks great (even if it is on the expensive side)
Reply 102
Original post by Alice.
Anybody know when unconditional offer holders hear about accommodation?

I think i asked about this and they said some time in May/June for those of us with unconditional offers.

Not 100% sure though...
Reply 103
Original post by Alice.
Anybody know when unconditional offer holders hear about accommodation?

august too. but you get allocation before conditional! :smile:
Reply 104
Original post by -Taz-

Ensuite:
- Castle Court
- Windsor Terrace
- Castle Leazes

Washbasin:
- Marris House
- Windsor Terrace
- No third choice

Hopefully having an unconditional offer will mean i get my first choice, Castle Court looks great (even if it is on the expensive side)

ooo thats lucky! seen some pictures of castle leazes before and it looked nice! there is nooo where else i considering staying apart from the 3 i put down apart from castle court , and if i dont get them there is no way i am moving in to any of the others as they look dingy and just not nice!
Original post by -Taz-

Ensuite:
- Castle Court
- Windsor Terrace
- Castle Leazes

Washbasin:
- Marris House
- Windsor Terrace
- No third choice

hahaha its so weird that i applied to the exact ones but washbasin i put a castle leazes as the 3rd, and the orders might be different. same course and possibility of ending up in the same place :tongue:
Reply 106
Original post by babes1112
ooo thats lucky! seen some pictures of castle leazes before and it looked nice! there is nooo where else i considering staying apart from the 3 i put down apart from castle court , and if i dont get them there is no way i am moving in to any of the others as they look dingy and just not nice!

Yeah Castle Leazes looked to be quite nice from the pictures on the website but i thought Castle Court and Windsor Terrace were just a little better. Castle Court is probably better than Windsor Terrace in terms of what you get, but i hear Windsor Terrace is better for the social side of things. It was a bit tricky choosing one, but i went for Castle Court in the end

Hmm, i'd probably be disappointed if i didn't get into one of my top 3 or Marris house, but if i had to i'd take wherever else i was offered. I just don't like the idea of not living amongst students during my first year :eek:

Original post by aeyurttaser13
hahaha its so weird that i applied to the exact ones but washbasin i put a castle leazes as the 3rd, and the orders might be different. same course and possibility of ending up in the same place :tongue:

I was reading your post thinking the exact same thing :wink: I'd imagine loads of people apply to places like Castle Court though, it really stands out

How important is ensuite to you? I wasn't sure about it at first (high costs) but my mum really pushed me to go for ensuite just for that extra bit of convenience
Original post by -Taz-
Yeah Castle Leazes looked to be quite nice from the pictures on the website but i thought Castle Court and Windsor Terrace were just a little better. Castle Court is probably better than Windsor Terrace in terms of what you get, but i hear Windsor Terrace is better for the social side of things. It was a bit tricky choosing one, but i went for Castle Court in the end

Hmm, i'd probably be disappointed if i didn't get into one of my top 3 or Marris house, but if i had to i'd take wherever else i was offered. I just don't like the idea of not living amongst students during my first year :eek:

I was reading your post thinking the exact same thing :wink: I'd imagine loads of people apply to places like Castle Court though, it really stands out

How important is ensuite to you? I wasn't sure about it at first (high costs) but my mum really pushed me to go for ensuite just for that extra bit of convenience

It is important cz as u sai its convenient.. But i really wudnt mind if i dont get it anyway, really hoping for castle court tho :smile:
Reply 108
Just applied for single standard at Richardson Road as my first choice, anyone have any idea what my chance of getting in will be? I know I'm a bit late, but I desperately want to go there!
Original post by Rich C
Just applied for single standard at Richardson Road as my first choice, anyone have any idea what my chance of getting in will be? I know I'm a bit late, but I desperately want to go there!

troll?
Reply 110
Original post by Steerforth
troll?

Haha no not a troll?
What would make you think it was?
Original post by Rich C
Haha no not a troll?
What would make you think it was?

Richardson Road isnt exactly oversubscribed and not many people put it as their first choice so youre highly likely to get your accomodation there :smile:
That doesnt mean that I think its bad by the way, I've applied there (although not as my first choice) and would still be amazingly estatic to live there :smile:
Reply 112
Original post by spoinkytheduck
Richardson Road isnt exactly oversubscribed and not many people put it as their first choice so youre highly likely to get your accomodation there :smile:
That doesnt mean that I think its bad by the way, I've applied there (although not as my first choice) and would still be amazingly estatic to live there :smile:

Ricky road is normally over subscribed, it is one of the most popular based on the party atmosphere it has. I know quite a lot of people who had Ricky road as
1st choice but didn't get it.

Thats not to say you won't get it because circumstances may be different :biggrin:
Just did my application:

1. St Mary's
2. Henderson Hall
3. Windsor Terrace

As you can tell I'm looking for the quieter options.
Original post by Abcrew
Single glazing isn't too much of a problem, but I have heard people say that they will be putting double glazing in over the summer (not sure how true this is though) :smile:

Ricky road only has the location really, but like you say no washbasin, strange shaped rooms (my mate's room has 7 walls :confused: ) Another annoying thing about Ricky Road is the fact that there are no supermarkets near by. You have to either go to the local corner shop or venture into town and go to the tesco metro, both are really expensive!

Plus, St marys can be quite sociable, it's what you make of it really. If everyone is up for partying and having fun then you can guarantee to have a good time.

Yep :biggrin: From Manchester and support the best team too, I have good parents :biggrin:

Oh, well that would be good. Problem solved over the single glazing if they are. But like I said, doesn't really bother me.

The room I saw when I went to Ricky Road on the open day was like that. I just really didn't like it. Like, on here everyone was like "the rooms aren't that bad, everything else makes up for it" but I looked and thought no, this really isn't me, I don't think anything could make up for it. And Social situations are what you make of it - if you sit in your room/flat all the time and never venture even next door, then you're never going to make friends/have parties/have a social life at all.

I wouldn't quite go that far, but on this note we're definitely going to have to agree to disagree before we turn this thread into a football debate or something :smile:
Original post by Jonnyy
I'm guessing a lot of you are starting to get offers by now and was wondering whether people have looked much into accommodation at Newcastle University?

IMO richardson road looks pretty appealing for non-catered and castle leazes for catered, thoughts?

troll?

Hahahaha ricky road. Good memories man! Amazing halls, best people and right by the med school! Literally roll out of bed at the start of lecture and still make it.

But, word of advice: you'll get NO WORK done at all. Albeit, it is 1st year so not really all that important!

And...castle leazes is for the rahs:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ArcaneAnna
Hahahaha ricky road. Good memories man! Amazing halls, best people and right by the med school! Literally roll out of bed at the start of lecture and still make it.

But, word of advice: you'll get NO WORK done at all. Albeit, it is 1st year so not really all that important!

And...castle leazes is for the rahs:

Would you say there is much rivalry between halls?
Reply 117
Original post by weirdwakkidolli
Oh, well that would be good. Problem solved over the single glazing if they are. But like I said, doesn't really bother me.

The room I saw when I went to Ricky Road on the open day was like that. I just really didn't like it. Like, on here everyone was like "the rooms aren't that bad, everything else makes up for it" but I looked and thought no, this really isn't me, I don't think anything could make up for it. And Social situations are what you make of it - if you sit in your room/flat all the time and never venture even next door, then you're never going to make friends/have parties/have a social life at all.

I wouldn't quite go that far, but on this note we're definitely going to have to agree to disagree before we turn this thread into a football debate or something :smile:

Absolutely, when I went on an open day to Ricky road it reminded me of a prison cell :biggrin: it was so small and the walls are basically just bricks which have been painted :confused: Uni life is what you make of it and I have found St Marys to be really sociable, plus there are always events going on in the common room so you cen carry on meeting new people throughout the year!

Is Newcastle your firm choice? What course are you doing?
Would you say there is much rivalry between halls?

Not really. It's all pretty jokey-rivlary.
Ok this might sound stupid but I was just applying for accomodation and one of the questions is "What is the most important factor to you?" and the 3 options are
- Wash facilities
- City location
- Low budget

By wash facilities do they mean access to laundrettes or are they talking about en-suites etc?? Sorry if this sounds really stupid!!

Oh AND what exactly is the difference between single standard en-suite and premium/deluxe en-suite??
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending