The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Language 10 Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Good luck everyone!
Reply 41
i was wondering are you able to re-sit this exam? because i'm not feeling very confident:confused:
Reply 42
how did everyone find it ?
Reply 43
Original post by cacatron
how did everyone find it ?

I thought it was ok, I think I might have done better at the end of the paper. Not so good at the start.
It wasn't bad, but not particularly good either. What did you write about the headline in the presentational devices question. I stated that the three figures adds more emphasis on the words that followed them. I also wrote other stuff but not really bothered to type.
Also, for the question about young people, i wrote that their lives are not easy as the current economy is in downfall and job prospects are low etc. also talked about gcses and stuff...
hopefully an A.
I also remember for the describing question that i stated christopher thought that the sun was so red so it actually resembled a rose due to the intesity of the colour.
Reply 46
I'm a little worried about Section A in general... did anyone else find the sources really quite hard to write a lot about?
Original post by GeekChic7
I'm a little worried about Section A in general... did anyone else find the sources really quite hard to write a lot about?

That's what i was thinking, but only for the first couple of questions. The first text made points which were quite similar throughout, so i had a little problem in describing various issues facing britain's weather.
The presentational question went ok. Enough to write about. Thoughts and feelings wasn't too bad, but the comparing one was a little difficult...
Reply 48
Original post by Tactical Nuke u UP
That's what i was thinking, but only for the first couple of questions. The first text made points which were quite similar throughout, so i had a little problem in describing various issues facing britain's weather.
The presentational question went ok. Enough to write about. Thoughts and feelings wasn't too bad, but the comparing one was a little difficult...

That's exactly what I thought!! My teacher had given us a basic structure where we gave a point, gave a quote to back it up, then said what the quote suggested, but I found it really difficult to stop myself totally repeating the source as it was SO factual!!
And as for the comparison question, I ended up repeating myself a little...
That's exactly what I thought!! My teacher had given us a basic structure where we gave a point, gave a quote to back it up, then said what the quote suggested, but I found it really difficult to stop myself totally repeating the source as it was SO factual!!
And as for the comparison question, I ended up repeating myself a little...

I guess the structure your teacher had given to you was in th P.E.E format?
Anyway, yeah i also repeated myself in the comparison question. I pointed out a few things and said that they emphasise what the writer is pointing out. done that a couple of times but said it in different ways. Hope the examiner is a little lenient.

Do you know last years grade boundaries? do you think around 60-65 marks will be an A?
Reply 50
I guess the structure your teacher had given to you was in th P.E.E format?
Do you know last years grade boundaries? do you think around 60-65 marks will be an A?

Yes!!! Wow, I thought that was just our school using that... And I THINK according to AQA website that it was 63/80 for an A* !!
Section A was a bit of a bitc*, but i guess section B made up for it.
Yes!!! Wow, I thought that was just our school using that... And I THINK according to AQA website that it was 63/80 for an A* !!

Really? 63? I tought that would be a bit too low...
I was expecting an A* to be in the low 70s. Now i think i got lower than 60...
Nevermind, all i can do now is hope.
How did the exam go for you? What was your target grade? mock results?
And also can you give me the link where you found the previous boundaries?
Thanks
Reply 53
Well, it would have done, but my 'inform' ended up being a bit more persuasive... I was pretty pleased with my persuade though... Our teachers were all adamant that it would be a 'describe' question, so there was no emphasis on 'inform' in classes...
Reply 54
Well I'm predicted A* and I got A* in my mocks, and the link is... http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php You might have to click a few things to get where you need to be, but I looked on the January 2011 index to find it.
Well, it would have done, but my 'inform' ended up being a bit more persuasive... I was pretty pleased with my persuade though... Our teachers were all adamant that it would be a 'describe' question, so there was no emphasis on 'inform' in classes...

Do you mean the persuade question? I don't remember it. Didn't section B consist of a writing to inform and writing to argue??
Well I'm predicted A* and I got A* in my mocks, and the link is... http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php You might have to click a few things to get where you need to be, but I looked on the January 2011 index to find it.

Whoah, thanks. 55 for an A? OK. Hopefully this years grade boundaries are a little lower just in case.

Do you mind if i ask you what your exact marks were?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
Do you mean the persuade question? I don't remember it. Didn't section B consist of a writing to inform and writing to argue??

I'm sure it was a write to Inform and then a write to Persuade.
Reply 59
I sat this exam after being entered by my school without them even asking me. Last time I was 5 UMS of an A* (My target which they said everyone who didnt hit had to resit even if their coursework secured them an overall grade of A* I mean wtf is that logic...) Anyway I had 10 mins left to do Q5 and that was interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending