The Student Room Group

PWC Risk Assurance 2012 First Interview

Hello,
I have an interview for PWC risk assurance. It is the first interview and it will be in their London office (There was also a telephone interview option, however, I chose to do it face to face).

In their website it says that the applicant has to
- provide evidence of the skills PWC is seeking
- reassure PWC that he/she has thought about his/her career choice
- demonstrate clear interest in the business world and PWC

Do you have any suggestions for me?
The first interviews I had so far were over the phone and usually they have asked me to tell a bit about myself and about my past internships..
Do you think the interview with PWC going to be very different?
Reply 1
Regards the first part, this will be standard competency based interview questions. They're very keen on their "10 core competencies" and will almost certainly ask you to show evidence of these. See here: http://www.pwc.com/uk/en/careers/student/applicationprocess/our-competencies.jhtml

The final point about clear interest in the business world you can show by your internship experience, as well as research you've done and current affairs knowledge (they'll probably ask you about a current business issue). Know about PwC (website is a gold mine) and be prepared to justify why you want to intern with them and not EY or KPMG - standard stuff.
Reply 2
zeh
OP
hey chachu201 thank you very much.
I have applied for their graduate position. did you apply to pwc before?
Reply 3
Yeah, I've been interviewed by them before, but for an internship not a graduate position - your interview may very well be different to mine, but I think what I wrote above should still stand for any PwC interview.
Reply 4
zeh
OP
are there any people applying for the risk assurance position in London?
Reply 5
Original post by zeh
Hello,
I have an interview for PWC risk assurance. It is the first interview and it will be in their London office (There was also a telephone interview option, however, I chose to do it face to face).

In their website it says that the applicant has to
- provide evidence of the skills PWC is seeking
- reassure PWC that he/she has thought about his/her career choice
- demonstrate clear interest in the business world and PWC

Do you have any suggestions for me?
The first interviews I had so far were over the phone and usually they have asked me to tell a bit about myself and about my past internships..
Do you think the interview with PWC going to be very different?

I worked in RAS at PwC for a few years.

The gist of the work is analysing the internal controls of a company. By this I mean checking that all the small processes that make up the workings of a company are operating effectively. For example:

At the end of the year a company has a cash balance of £200m

You need to check that all monies have cleared the checking account, that all monies owed have been received etc etc - just loads of little things to ensure that the overall balance is correct.

For the second point, tell them that you have a fantastic eye for detail, research the ACA exams and tell them why they will benefit you and them. Just loads of shizzle that makes it look like you WANT to work for them rather than anyone else.

For the thrid point, the question will be "tell me a about a story you have read in the news recently regarding a business that may or may not have an affiliation with PwC"

Right, here you will need two examples (even though theonly want one). PwC's biggest RAS client is Shell, so that may be a good place to start. Always link it back to the role you are applying for - so you could talk about a recent acquisition Shell have made, and how it would affect you if you were working in RAS. i.e - you would check that all the assets acquired were recognised, the cash consideration was correct, additional work going forward.

You should be set with that.

Good luck
Reply 6
zeh
OP
Original post by Samtheman1
I worked in RAS at PwC for a few years.

The gist of the work is analysing the internal controls of a company. By this I mean checking that all the small processes that make up the workings of a company are operating effectively. For example:

At the end of the year a company has a cash balance of £200m

You need to check that all monies have cleared the checking account, that all monies owed have been received etc etc - just loads of little things to ensure that the overall balance is correct.

For the second point, tell them that you have a fantastic eye for detail, research the ACA exams and tell them why they will benefit you and them. Just loads of shizzle that makes it look like you WANT to work for them rather than anyone else.

For the thrid point, the question will be "tell me a about a story you have read in the news recently regarding a business that may or may not have an affiliation with PwC"

Right, here you will need two examples (even though theonly want one). PwC's biggest RAS client is Shell, so that may be a good place to start. Always link it back to the role you are applying for - so you could talk about a recent acquisition Shell have made, and how it would affect you if you were working in RAS. i.e - you would check that all the assets acquired were recognised, the cash consideration was correct, additional work going forward.

You should be set with that.

Good luck

Thank you very much :smile:)
I want this job so much. It has everything that I am particularly interested in.. Audit+Risk Management.. and I am also interested in IT and Information Security.. I cant explain how much I want it... so I am getting more and more excited and of course more stressed as the interview is approaching...

Regarding the business news.. do you think it would be bad to talk about the fine PWC paid for the JP Morgan audit. I mean I was going to talk about the risks to their services??
Reply 7
Original post by zeh
Thank you very much :smile:)
I want this job so much. It has everything that I am particularly interested in.. Audit+Risk Management.. and I am also interested in IT and Information Security.. I cant explain how much I want it... so I am getting more and more excited and of course more stressed as the interview is approaching...

Regarding the business news.. do you think it would be bad to talk about the fine PWC paid for the JP Morgan audit. I mean I was going to talk about the risks to their services??

Yeah I'd probably steer clear of that - there are a lot of other business related things you could mention and there is a slim chance that the inteviewer may have strong feelings on the fine etc.

Glad to hear you really want it, this should shine through in the interview.

Write out every possible question you think they will ask and have examples ready. Here's a few:

Why PwC instead of KPMG, EY etc etc?
Tell me about a time you have gone above and beyond the usual duties?
Tell me about a time you have led a task?
Tell me about a time you have had to deal with a difficult situation?
What would you do different now (re above q)?
Why do you want to do ACA?
What have you done to prepare yourself for ACA?
How would you audit cash, receivables, payables?
Tell me about yur average week at Uni?

If you need any ideas on the above, let me know.
Reply 8
Guys, I have just completed a long and horrible series of online tests for pwc risk position.
Can anyone tell me how quickly they will inform me about the results of these tests.

Maybe someone who has done these tests can advise me.

Cheers
Reply 9
zeh
OP
Original post by Carlos_Vela
Guys, I have just completed a long and horrible series of online tests for pwc risk position.
Can anyone tell me how quickly they will inform me about the results of these tests.

Maybe someone who has done these tests can advise me.

Cheers

I think it takes a week for them to invite for an interview...
Reply 10
zeh
OP
Carlos, I have been to a face to face interview last week. tell me if you need help with the interview.. My honest opinion is, even though it is a bit intense experience, the people at PWC are very nice and they make you feel comfortable and they really listen to you and try to help you even though you struggle from time to time:smile: so just be yourself and relax :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending