The Student Room Group

second and final year, yet productivity at its lowest

hey, so i made a plan for myself that i would finish all my IA's at the beginning of the year
as soon as possible. at the moment i have 3 economic commentaries, my extended essay, my extended research assessment for biology plus all my homework and necessary study and it is just the end of the fist week! i am definitely motivated to do my work but and make a plan at the start of the day on weekends and then tell myself what i need to accomplish each night but i am just not getting what i need and think i will get done, done! how can i combat this? also, is this happening to anyone else? im in grade 12 which is my most important year and i am still not acting crazy smart and productive! i am aiming for scores from 5 and above for each of my subjects but i doubt that will happen at this pace!
im even procrastinating writting this!
oh god what is wrong with me hahaha
Reply 1
I think this is happening to everyone in my year too :frown: Welcome to the life of an IB student.

My IA'a are 90% finished, EE and TOK completely over with, but I've never wanted time to move quicker. Come July 7th, and we'll know our results and where we're headed. Yeah, I'm aiming for 7, 7, 6, 6, 5, 5, and 3 bonus, but I wouldn't be surprised if both those 5's dropped to 4's, and if I missed one of those 7's.

Sorry I can't offer advice because I'm in the same position :frown: And yea, I'm procrastinating too, just by writing this post. :tongue:
Reply 2
wow! we are exactly the same.
but i cant believe u have completed your extended essay and TOK and pretty much your IA's.
but my final exams are in november not july so i guess i have some more time.
therefore, considering you have finished TOK and EE any advice you would like to offer?
and what subjects are you doing? i am doing:
math SL, eng HL, bio HL, chem SL, eco HL and beginners italian.

ps. im jealous u live in india i wish!
Reply 3
Original post by blink bill
wow! we are exactly the same.
but i cant believe u have completed your extended essay and TOK and pretty much your IA's.
but my final exams are in november not july so i guess i have some more time.
therefore, considering you have finished TOK and EE any advice you would like to offer?
and what subjects are you doing? i am doing:
math SL, eng HL, bio HL, chem SL, eco HL and beginners italian.

ps. im jealous u live in india i wish!

Haha, you really want to live in India? :P It's okay I guess, I mean, it's home, but to me it's dusty, overcrowded, and too big!

If you have till November then you're good, my exams are in May. I actually enjoyed TOK and EE, so that's the best advice I can offer- just do EE in something you love. I did it in English HL, it was fun. :smile: As for TOK, I think it's quite easy to score well on the presentation, I got full marks, so try and ace that- if you do, then even if the examiner doesn't like your essay much you still stand a high chance of getting an A, or at least a B. So B+C= 2 bonus points at least.

I'm doing English HL, Art HL, Geo HL, Math Studies, French SL, and EVSS SL. I'm hoping for 7's in English and Art HL, and 6's in Geo and EVSS, but honestly I'm so bad at French and Math that I'll be really lucky to scrape a 4. Even though it's Math Studies...
Reply 4
same here, im in my second year but I worked harder last year
I'm still in my first year of IB, the deadline for the extended essay is coming up pretty soon... any advice? and do you know if I can find anything for an ITGS topic? thanks
Reply 6
I'm actually far more motivated than last year. My productivity is however poor. I've still got to finish my EE (2,500 very French words to go and I told myself it'd be done by sunday evening. ****), two Economics IAs, twoBiology IAs and CAS forms. The thing is that I justify procrastination by doing past exams / revision. I find revision a lot more satisfying I guess, since it feels like progress whereas coursework is just a drag.

That's probably why I started revisiting and practising old maths topics last summer, and I've started revision proper for psychology, biology and economics too. I've been getting 6s in entire maths and French papers, which is encouraging as it gives me a (rather small) chance of 7s in them come May!
Reply 7
hey, so i made a plan for myself that i would finish all my IA's at the beginning of the year
as soon as possible. at the moment i have 3 economic commentaries, my extended essay, my extended research assessment for biology plus all my homework and necessary study and it is just the end of the fist week! i am definitely motivated to do my work but and make a plan at the start of the day on weekends and then tell myself what i need to accomplish each night but i am just not getting what i need and think i will get done, done! how can i combat this? also, is this happening to anyone else? im in grade 12 which is my most important year and i am still not acting crazy smart and productive! i am aiming for scores from 5 and above for each of my subjects but i doubt that will happen at this pace!
im even procrastinating writting this!
oh god what is wrong with me hahaha

Follow these simple steps:

1) Create REALISTIC GOALS. - You need to give yourself plenty of time to complete the task. My main issue in revision was saying "Complete this by then" and when I didn't, I panicked and then nothing went into my head, so I spent days on it trying to remember it.
2) Use mechanisms of reward to encourage yourself to complete the task. - "If I do this task, I will reward myself with 30 minutes of TV, provided it is of a good standard of work".
3) Remove all distractions - Most of the time, whether it's just having a cheeky read of emails, you will waste SO much time by reading your emails or when 'checking' Facebook, reply to many messages, and so on, don't! Do this at the end of the day when you give yourself an hour off before bed or whatever you allow yourself.
4) Set up a weekly schedule. - Say what you intend to complete by a certain date. Make room for 'spare days' to catch up on work you may be behind on, then your timetable won't be ruined. If you meet the needs of work for a week, and have a day off for example, don't take the day off, because you could end up being short on time the next week. Obviously, take breaks, but don't procrastinate for a whole day, ever, because one day becomes two and it will all catch up on you.

If I think of any more, I'll add them in.
Good luck, hope I've helped. (:
Reply 8
Original post by lizolove
Follow these simple steps:

1) Create REALISTIC GOALS. - You need to give yourself plenty of time to complete the task. My main issue in revision was saying "Complete this by then" and when I didn't, I panicked and then nothing went into my head, so I spent days on it trying to remember it.
2) Use mechanisms of reward to encourage yourself to complete the task. - "If I do this task, I will reward myself with 30 minutes of TV, provided it is of a good standard of work".
3) Remove all distractions - Most of the time, whether it's just having a cheeky read of emails, you will waste SO much time by reading your emails or when 'checking' Facebook, reply to many messages, and so on, don't! Do this at the end of the day when you give yourself an hour off before bed or whatever you allow yourself.
4) Set up a weekly schedule. - Say what you intend to complete by a certain date. Make room for 'spare days' to catch up on work you may be behind on, then your timetable won't be ruined. If you meet the needs of work for a week, and have a day off for example, don't take the day off, because you could end up being short on time the next week. Obviously, take breaks, but don't procrastinate for a whole day, ever, because one day becomes two and it will all catch up on you.

If I think of any more, I'll add them in.
Good luck, hope I've helped. (:

thank you thank you thank you! this is amazing help as i am doing all the bad things you have said.
i will definately be following these as they seem to be a massive help.
i hope it works! im scared t be honest.

i will let you know, :smile:
Reply 9
thank you thank you thank you! this is amazing help as i am doing all the bad things you have said.
i will definately be following these as they seem to be a massive help.
i hope it works! im scared t be honest.

i will let you know, :smile:

Brilliant, so glad I can help! Had the exact issue and worked it out, followed my new plan and it worked!

You just need to get it into your head that TSR or checking emails is a reward and do it once/twice a day, for a SET amount of time. If you want to reply to a message, but have gone over your time, do it later!

Also, if any of the work gets too hard, make sure you break it down into smaller chunks and work at it from that. :smile:
Reply 10
oh gods same. I'm sat here with a maths past paper to do, a french orale to write and 2 world lits to edit...by tomorrow morning. its 10:35...hahaha..hahaha HAHAHA oh my god so utterly utterly ducked
Reply 11
Original post by DaitaG
oh gods same. I'm sat here with a maths past paper to do, a french orale to write and 2 world lits to edit...by tomorrow morning. its 10:35...hahaha..hahaha HAHAHA oh my god so utterly utterly ducked

My situation EXACTLY. I just finished editing my World Lit 2. French orals next Friday, Interactive Oral this Friday. Oh, and Geo IA due tomorrow too. And let's not forget the EVSS labs (4 of them!), Math IA, as well as all the revison that needs to be done! :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by saachi
My situation EXACTLY. I just finished editing my World Lit 2. French orals next Friday, Interactive Oral this Friday. Oh, and Geo IA due tomorrow too. And let's not forget the EVSS labs (4 of them!), Math IA, as well as all the revison that needs to be done! :frown:

doncha just LOVE IB!

its actually ruining my life....

4 months left. I got this :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending