The Student Room Group

Can my As levels be found out?

I never certificated my As levels, read that I don't have to tell UCAS if they haven't been certificated, it's been a year and it's college policy to dispose of the certificates, plus I never cashed in my qualifications to get an overall grade, do my As levels even count? Is there a risk of them still being found out?

Applying to college again and to be honest I'd rather admissions not know i did so poorly
Reply 1
Any answers ?
Reply 2
Please answer!
Yes they count. Just because you never picked up the certificates doesn't mean that they don't exist. You did cash them in by getting AS grades.

In short, you don't have to tell UCAS, but if the unis find out you lied (it's UCAS's policy that you must declare all qualifications), then your place at university will be in jeopardy.
Reply 4
It says on another slip that I have to cash in as qualifications by a date I didn't cash in by though?
Reply 5
Original post by agoetcherian

Yes they count. Just because you never picked up the certificates doesn't mean that they don't exist. You did cash them in by getting AS grades.

In short, you don't have to tell UCAS, but if the unis find out you lied (it's UCAS's policy that you must declare all qualifications), then your place at university will be in jeopardy.

Only there was a date to cash in to get the overall grade and I missed it.
Reply 6
Original post by mgarta11

It says on another slip that I have to cash in as qualifications by a date I didn't cash in by though?

Ring the university. Different universities handle these things differently, so unless there's an administrator lurking from the university in question, we can't help. :smile:
Only there was a date to cash in to get the overall grade and I missed it.

You don't physically cash it in. That's done automatically by your college for you. I don't know the situation. Were you AS grades unsatisfactory so you're retaking?

Essentially, if you know what grades you got for AS, they've been cashed in. They're not cashed as part of an overall A-level, but they're a qualification by themselves. If the case is that they're bad, universities by and large don't care. So don't worry about it.
Reply 8

You don't physically cash it in. That's done automatically by your college for you. I don't know the situation. Were you AS grades unsatisfactory so you're retaking?

Essentially, if you know what grades you got for AS, they've been cashed in. They're not cashed as part of an overall A-level, but they're a qualification by themselves. If the case is that they're bad, universities by and large don't care. So don't worry about it.

The situation is that I'm applying for a new college and I don't want them to know I've failed As levels before well not failed but (BCD), I don't mind about ucas and unis knowing because by that time I should have new As levels that are stronger than myoldones
I think I'm going to apply as an independent applicant and take a reference from my college without them being a larger part of my application, that way they won't find out about those annoying little grades haha
You have to let them know by law. Sorry.
Reply 10
I never certificated my As levels, read that I don't have to tell UCAS if they haven't been certificated, it's been a year and it's college policy to dispose of the certificates, plus I never cashed in my qualifications to get an overall grade, do my As levels even count? Is there a risk of them still being found out?

Applying to college again and to be honest I'd rather admissions not know i did so poorly

You seem to be saying two different things. Whether or not you have collected certificates, and whether or not they have been destroyed is completely irrelevant; destroying the certificate does not mean the qualification does not exist. If you genuinely never got an overall grade in the subject but only module scores (i.e. you were never cashed-in) then you do not officially have an AS.

However, it would be simpler by far if you came clean about your past course, your new college won't be able to see the results electronically but they may find out in other ways.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest