The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chrisateen
This is normal so don't give up!!!!!! This happens to me all the time. When I got down to 11st 1lbs in October the weight loss stalled and I fluctuated between 11st 1lbs to 11st 4lbs till mid January. Even now that the weight has started moving again I sometimes get weeks were my weight barely moves. (its taken me 6 months to lose 5lbs)

What I am trying to say is that its not your fault. Your weight is getting closer to your goal and as a result if you want to keep losing you cannot rush it or expect to lose it at the same rate that you were losing before. Patience is key!!!

Also what on earth do you mean by the word you cannot do it. You have done it as you have lost so much weight so far. How many people are able to do what you have done.

Also I may recommend that it may be time for you to increase you calories as it seems that you are hitting a plateau. How many calories are you currently eatting and how much exercise do you do in a week? Upping my calories to 2220 (which is my maintenance calories) and burning 3500 calories in the gym is what helped me to break my plateau

Do you mean you burn 3500 calorie in the gym per week or per day??
Original post by dreaminchicken

I'd vote she means per week - for a 1lb per week weightloss. Makes sense actually. I might try that method if I start to get stuck this month :smile:

I go to the gym 4 times a week and in each session I burn about 900 - 1000 calories. So I create a 3500 calorie deficit through exercise alone.
Reply 1783
Ended up having chips, rice & curry sauce from the Chinese last night. It was so tasty but I felt ill after and then still felt all bloated and horrible this morning. Oh well, it's got rid of the Chinese cravings and put me off it for another few months! Craving a Subway now...but that's healthier I guess :p:
Original post by Chrisateen
I go to the gym 4 times a week and in each session I burn about 900 - 1000 calories. So I create a 3500 calorie deficit through exercise alone.

That's ok then, I thought that's what you meant otherwise it'd be crazy lol. Do you wear a HRM or just go by what it says on the gym machines?

Original post by marmalady
I'd vote she means per week - for a 1lb per week weightloss. Makes sense actually. I might try that method if I start to get stuck this month :smile:

I have been doing that the past 2 wks using targets set by my HRM. I'm meant to do just over 4000 per wk I think. I managed it last week but not this week. Think I did roughly 3500 this week. Seems to be keeping me in check weight wise so far x
(edited 12 years ago)
Have had a really awful week and a half... think I've put on at least 1lb but can't really tell because I'm using different scales at home. :/ Guess April is a chance to put it all behind me and move on! New month, new habits.
That's ok then, I thought that's what you meant otherwise it'd be crazy lol. Do you wear a HRM or just go by what it says on the gym machines?

Gym machines as its been consistent with my weight loss so i just use that as a guide
Weighed in this morning for the first time in a long time..gained about 3lbs in the last two months. It could be worse though considering I've literally been eating what I want, when I want it..no seriously. Maybe it's because I've been exercising still. I need to get back on track though food wise because before Christmas, I was doing amazingly. It may not be alot of the scale but my family/friends have noticed and I feel different/flabbier. My family have said I look better for it though but I just feel sluggish. Thing is, i'm not concerned about the weight i've gained too much in terms of the scale but it's more that i'm concerned about the unhealthy habits I've been getting back into and the weight I will pile on if I continue at this rate.

I have four weeks until my first exam and I just can't use study season as an excuse to pig out. My mum got me lots of healthy things this morning like wholewheat pasta and pitta breads, low fat yoghurt, porridge, fruit, stirfry, meat, tuna etc so I have absolutely no excuse. My focus is to cut out the **** food really and eating nutritiously. Cutting sugar out of my diet will be a massive achievement. I think I need to go cold turkey with sugar but I'm like an addict at four days or so.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

Spoiler

:laugh: You're evil!

I have not had a good week, foodwise. Great week otherwise though :colondollar: Birthday dinner was divine but because my (food filled) party is tomorrow, I've been very relaxed all week. Read as: eaten a lot of crap. Lol. Oh well, after tomorrow I will draw a line under it and get back on it. Everyone else seems to be doing really well, congrats :smile:
Original post by *GoLdSeQuIn*
Weighed in this morning for the first time in a long time..gained about 3lbs in the last two months. It could be worse though considering I've literally been eating what I want, when I want it..no seriously. Maybe it's because I've been exercising still. I need to get back on track though food wise because before Christmas, I was doing amazingly. It may not be alot of the scale but my family/friends have noticed and I feel different/flabbier. My family have said I look better for it though but I just feel sluggish. Thing is, i'm not concerned about the weight i've gained too much in terms of the scale but it's more that i'm concerned about the unhealthy habits I've been getting back into and the weight I will pile on if I continue at this rate.

I have four weeks until my first exam and I just can't use study season as an excuse to pig out. My mum got me lots of healthy things this morning like wholewheat pasta and pitta breads, low fat yoghurt, porridge, fruit, stirfry, meat, tuna etc so I have absolutely no excuse. My focus is to cut out the **** food really and eating nutritiously. Cutting sugar out of my diet will be a massive achievement. I think I need to go cold turkey with sugar but I'm like an addict at four days or so.

Have you seen the stumptuous guide to cutting out sugar? Link. I drew the line at carbs, I could not give up sugar if you paid me millions.
Original post by *GoLdSeQuIn*

3lbs in 2months is not much at all. It works out that you were eating about 175 calories more than you should have. So you may just need to cut out an extra snack each day in order to get back on track and not gain any more. Plus also remember that our weight fluctuates between a few pounds when we maintain as well.
Original post by lolo66
There's an old saying: you should eat like a king for breakfast, a prince for lunch and a pauper for dinner. That may sound a bit random, but it's far better to eat a large part of your calories in the beginning of the day, as that is when your body needs energy and it gives you the chance to burn the calories off. If you eat a low calorie breakfast, it is more likely that your body may go into fat storage mode or your metabolism will slow down as you're not feeding it enough. Then if you eat a massive dinner, particularly if you eat it too late, you're not giving you're body the chance to burn the calories off again.

No it doesn't sound random at all, I've heard that saying before.
Original post by marmalady
tumblr_m1phqmuUci1r6u05ro1_500.png

Little something for y'all. This applies to me very much; March was crap!

Love it!

My April is going to start tomorrow though as I kind of ate a tub of ben and jerry's and a pack of jaffa cakes today :colondollar:
Original post by _Shanice_
Love it!

My April is going to start tomorrow though as I kind of ate a tub of ben and jerry's and a pack of jaffa cakes today :colondollar:

Snap! Cooked breakfast, Subway for lunch, and just on my way home for a roast dinner. Oh, and I had a slice of birthday cake. Oops :colondollar:

Going to get up nice and early tomorrow for a run, get the week off to a good start
Hello lovelies. :sexface:

Breakfast: Avocado smoothie.
Lunch: Egg salad with cucumber and all these funny vegetables whose names I don't want to know.
Dinner: Grilled chicken.
Snacks: green tea, apple slices with peanut butter, protein supps.

Nice and hot today so I went swimming for almost 2 hours and jogged the way home instead of taking the Tube. Reckon I burnt about 700 calories so April is going pretty well so far. A bit gutted that tomorrow is rest day actually! :colondollar: I can't wait to go back to weights. Noob gains are the best gains. :colone:
Reply 1795
Original post by Strüberry
Hello lovelies. :sexface:

Breakfast: Avocado smoothie.
Lunch: Egg salad with cucumber and all these funny vegetables whose names I don't want to know.
Dinner: Grilled chicken.
Snacks: green tea, apple slices with peanut butter, protein supps.

Nice and hot today so I went swimming for almost 2 hours and jogged the way home instead of taking the Tube. Reckon I burnt about 700 calories so April is going pretty well so far. A bit gutted that tomorrow is rest day actually! :colondollar: I can't wait to go back to weights. Noob gains are the best gains. :colone:

oh wow I really want to go swimming now
Feeling incredibly frustraed with being at home and not having control over my food right now.

Family are veggie during the week, which means carbs, carbs and more carbs for dinners. Plus, I'm being made to feel guitly for not eating things that I don't like, even though I've said that I'll just make my own stuff - e.g. Tuesday night my brother is making a potato, shallot and goat's chees tart. I cannot stand goat's cheese, but my mother doesn't seem to understnad why a potato and shallot tart (with the cheese taken off) doesn't exactly appeal to me for dinner.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Have you seen the stumptuous guide to cutting out sugar? Link. I drew the line at carbs, I could not give up sugar if you paid me millions.

I forgot about this... Time to re-start it tomorrow!

---

I love my parents, I really do. But they know I'm trying to diet. They bought me three Easter eggs. Three. And they're not exactly small ones. Needless to say, only some of it has even so far survived! For shame. I'm going to try to really kick sugar tomorrow but with Easter next weekend that's when the real sugar kicking will happen.
I hate it when you KNOW full well you've lost fat, and you know you've never eaten more than 1,700 cals in a day (been around 1,400 most days, plus several hundred more burned each day with exercise) so couldn't POSSIBLY have gained weight or even stayed the same.. yet you have water retention so the scales just bloody lie.

This is something I'm suffering from this week, due to my food choices this weekend not being the best. Yesterday I had a handful of salty crisps, and today Dad made really salty gravy with the roast, so I doubt a loss will have shown on the scales. But I know I deserve a loss because I've exercised loads and my calories would certainly equate to a loss.

But we shall just wait and see I suppose.

Could have done with a loss this week, especially with next weekend being Easter, and there will be a heck of a lot of chocolate around and about.. meaning temptation.

I just want the scales to be nice to me in the morning then I can edge a bit more towards my goal!
Original post by Aemiliana

I love my parents, I really do. But they know I'm trying to diet. They bought me three Easter eggs. Three. And they're not exactly small ones. Needless to say, only some of it has even so far survived! For shame. I'm going to try to really kick sugar tomorrow but with Easter next weekend that's when the real sugar kicking will happen.

I know what this feels like.. There's so much chocolate in this house at the moment! I have three Easter eggs as well so far, plus whatever "Easter bunny" brings (yes, my youngest sibling is 16, it still happens..) and I know my boyfriend's got me one as well.

I even said I'd much prefer something else, like maybe some nice shower stuff, that I can enjoy but won't affect my diet.

If I could limit myself to maybe 1/8 of an egg each day, then it would be fine, and a lovely treat that would last me over a month.. but that never happens for me.

The only thing I can think to do is to make damn sure I exercise extra over Easter.

Latest