The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by sachinisgod
Yh but its not like you are left alone with patients without anyone being there. I think the proffessors are there with you and for some reason u cant understand a particular word or sentence, they'll translate it for you.

True, but would you want a doctor like that to treat you? If the patient doesn't know your background (that you don't soeak the langauge fluently) they might think that you don't know your stuff.

I think I'm probably over thinking this since loads of people have done it and graduated without any problems I suppose.
IM thinking of applying to europe too...im 19 this year and if i reapply i will be 20 when i go to uni i will be too old....
Reply 162
Original post by Ronove
That's some pretty odd and far-fetched conjecture you've got going on there. Do you not think the Med School would make sure medical terminology is included in what you learn in your language classes at some point? And why would you not have picked up colloquial phrases after three years?! All you need to do to pick up colloquial stuff is watch films with subtitles and read fiction.

The medical school will definetly teach the required terminology obviously and 3 years is enough to learn the langauge. I'm just saying that having both medicine and the langauge to learn might mean you don't have enough time to learn the langauge fully.
I just feel that there may be a barrier between doctor and patient in a situation like this. Anyway... I've probably over thinked/ complicated this since loads of people have done this successfully but that's what I think and its the main con against me wanting to apply just yet.
Original post by Doctor.
From what I have read andI even had a word with current 5th year student from plusmed the course Is taught in English! Of course during clinicals I will have to learn a bit which isn't too bad I guess as you only get paitent contact during 3/4/5 year. People from that company told me that you just need to pass an english exam and have passes at alevel and you're in.

I agree completely with the Alevels bit! Really do need a minimum of AAB just to ensure I do have options open!

The course itself is taught in english so it isnt too bad. UCAS sent me an email regarding the Carol Davil uni :s-smilie: So i assume Its popular with UK students.

LOL I like how were in exactly the same situation :tongue:.

If that's the case, go for it! ;-) I can't say I know much about Carol Davil Uni as Romania only joined the EU in 2007 (so I didn't need to know) and I don't know anyone who has considered going there. It's sounds quite promising. Again, just make sure you've done the homework on the fees, (which can vary from anything a low as €300.00/year at some med schools to €10000.00/year at others), entrance requirements, length of course, type of course (is it the US-style MD course or the UK/international style MBChB/MBBS/BMBS), accreditation in Romania, (which is key to working anywhere else in the EU including the UK) and preparation for 1st year exams (European med schools have the habit of setting "elimination" exams at the end of the first year to refine the cohort of potential medics).

Good luck with the A-levels and applying to Carol Davil uni.
Reply 164
Original post by sunshinesmile10
IM thinking of applying to europe too...im 19 this year and if i reapply i will be 20 when i go to uni i will be too old....

:rofl:
Reply 165
Original post by medic_armadillo7
If that's the case, go for it! ;-) I can't say I know much about Carol Davil Uni as Romania only joined the EU in 2007 (so I didn't need to know) and I don't know anyone who has considered going there. It's sounds quite promising. Again, just make sure you've done the homework on the fees, (which can vary from anything a low as €300.00/year at some med schools to €10000.00/year at others), entrance requirements, length of course, type of course (is it the US-style MD course or the UK/international style MBChB/MBBS/BMBS), accreditation in Romania, (which is key to working anywhere else in the EU including the UK) and preparation for 1st year exams (European med schools have the habit of setting "elimination" exams at the end of the first year to refine the cohort of potential medics).

Good luck with the A-levels and applying to Carol Davil uni.

Aw well thanks for all the Information :smile: Just sucks that hardly anyone knows about Romania schools :frown:

Yeah ive heard about these elimination exams, got me worried lol. Just really want someone to say "Yeah I go there...its a good course" -ya know? It kinda reassures me :lol: I worry over everything!

again, many thanks :h:
Reply 166
Original post by Doctor.
Aw well thanks for all the Information :smile: Just sucks that hardly anyone knows about Romania schools :frown:

Yeah ive heard about these elimination exams, got me worried lol. Just really want someone to say "Yeah I go there...its a good course" -ya know? It kinda reassures me :lol: I worry over everything!

again, many thanks :h:

Have you looked at any other med schools or is this the main one you're looking into? Charles Uni in Czech seems good too.
Reply 167
Original post by Aysha92
Have you looked at any other med schools or is this the main one you're looking into? Charles Uni in Czech seems good too.

It's really expensive, so I have heard anyway :s-smilie:

Will have to do some research though :smile: Thanks
Reply 168
Hey guys,

Has anyone applied to Budapest to study medicine for next year? would really appreciate any info on this xoxo
Original post by Ronove
:rofl:

Point taken :P
Reply 170
Original post by Aysha92

hi have you applied to any universities yet if so how? thanks Adeel
Reply 171
Hi, im currently doing my A2 levels in bio, chem and maths. I'v received my 4 rejections for medicine in the UK which is why i'm now looking into studying medicine in europe at a university which is recognised by the GMC. But i don't know which unis/websites to trust. If anyone can steer me in the right direction, give me tips and advice about how to go about applying and if any current students in europe can explain to me how they achieved their place at their european uni for medicine i'd really appreciate it. Thank You!
Is there any testimony on the TSR forums from UK students who've gone to Europe to study then come back here to work in F1/F2 positions?

I think it would be interesting to see how this actually works out in reality.
I know a load of people studying in Kosice in Slovakia. I study vet med over there and we have a lot of interaction with the meds and they all seem to be having a good time. Just thought i'd add another option to the list. http://www.upjs.sk/en
Original post by HannahUVM
I know a load of people studying in Kosice in Slovakia. I study vet med over there and we have a lot of interaction with the meds and they all seem to be having a good time. Just thought i'd add another option to the list. http://www.upjs.sk/en

You study Veterinary Medicine in Kosice? I went snowboarding earlier in the Tatry's by Liptovsy Mikulas. How is that going, because Slovak is pretty difficult. Although, it beats having to pay £25,000/year as a uni graduate doing veterinary med back in UK. lol
You study Veterinary Medicine in Kosice? I went snowboarding earlier in the Tatry's by Liptovsy Mikulas. How is that going, because Slovak is pretty difficult. Although, it beats having to pay £25,000/year as a uni graduate doing veterinary med back in UK. lol

Yup I do indeed. I've had a great time here. I graduate this June so I've been here nearly 4 years now. It def beats having to pay crazy fees back in the UK and I've loved the opportunity to live abroad. The vets don't really have to speak any slovak so although there's a half hearted course in the first semester not too many of us know more than the basics. Our patients bark/miaow anyway and there's always a lecturer on hand in the clinics if you can't understand something the owner says. Did you go to Jasna for the snowboarding? We go there all the time in the winter since it's only 2 hours away and dirt cheap as a student. :smile:
Original post by HannahUVM
Yup I do indeed. I've had a great time here. I graduate this June so I've been here nearly 4 years now. It def beats having to pay crazy fees back in the UK and I've loved the opportunity to live abroad. The vets don't really have to speak any slovak so although there's a half hearted course in the first semester not too many of us know more than the basics. Our patients bark/miaow anyway and there's always a lecturer on hand in the clinics if you can't understand something the owner says. Did you go to Jasna for the snowboarding? We go there all the time in the winter since it's only 2 hours away and dirt cheap as a student. :smile:

Cool. That was a mildly silly thing to ask about the Slovak as your patients don't speak Slovak anyway? Yeah, I was in Jasna!! It was really pretty and really cheap , by far the cheapest trip I've ever been on and coldest. We went during the cold snap so it was -25*C. Ouch! Are you moving back to UK come summer or might you stay and try your luck on the continent?
Cool. That was a mildly silly thing to ask about the Slovak as your patients don't speak Slovak anyway? Yeah, I was in Jasna!! It was really pretty and really cheap , by far the cheapest trip I've ever been on and coldest. We went during the cold snap so it was -25*C. Ouch! Are you moving back to UK come summer or might you stay and try your luck on the continent?

Oh yeah it gets really really cold here sometimes. Even down it gets to -20 in the winter time. Can't complain too much when I can go skiing 10 minutes away from where I live though!
I think I'll head home in the summer. I'm spending a month working for a charity neutering dogs in the Ukraine and then I need to get down to real life and look for a job. I'd love to work in Sweden or somewhere like that but I can't speak Swedish. I know a few people that have gone and done it but said it was pretty challenging and were glad enough to come home after a year.
Reply 178
Most Unis do M.D's but take student without a bachelors degree, an M.D is a masters, so I'm just wondering if this is allowed... Anyone know????
Reply 179
Original post by kowthem
Most Unis do M.D's but take student without a bachelors degree, an M.D is a masters, so I'm just wondering if this is allowed... Anyone know????

I can't say I really understand what you're asking but perhaps this is relevant: the course in Denmark is 6 years but broken into two parts, the Bachelors and the MD. You can't do the latter without the former and you can't be a doctor without both.

Latest

Trending

Trending