The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I wanna know what happened! *subscribes*
OP still not back. The suspense is killing me.
Reply 182
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
OP still not back. The suspense is killing me.

Me too. I wonder if they did lock her in a cell after all :tongue:
OP, we are all waiting :colondollar:, please update us on what happened.
no internet for OP :biggrin:
:giggle:

I promised myself I wasnt gunna look here again...oops
Reply 186
Original post by a.partridge
If performance is so much governed by measurable statistics like parental earnings, area, school... Then how can you explain that people in my school, who have grown up in the same area as me, with more affluent parents than me, been taught by the same teachers in the same room for the 7 years (was a 6th form) and the 5 or so before, can have achieved such different things? How can we have people who have done this and are now doing great subjects at Cambridge and we have in fact more people who are scraping in UWE, oxford brookes etc.. with some not even bothering to go to university and everything in between. How can this explain a difference that spans the entire further education spectrum from an almost completely homogeneous group of kids (It's very homogeneous here, small town small school virtually the same childhoods and parent income.)

I posit that the vastly determinant factor here is the personality and natural intelligence of the individual!

P.s sociology at A-level should not be flaunted. Hide it, hide it well.

i suppose scraping into uwe and oxford brookes is deamed failure by you is it? i would say 2/3rds of my year group would be extremely lucky to get into them universities. guess how many have got into cambridge? oh yeah.. none. i'm not saying everyone who goes private does amazing, but it does support students more in getting where they want to be in life if they have the right attitude, which middle class students are more likely to have from their upbringing. putting aside your argument, you just have to look at statistics to show that students do better at private than at state. so i really don't even know why i'm still typing.

surely you're not implying that you parents forked out thousands and thousands of pounds for nothing? you're REALLY telling me you would have done the exact same in state school? if that's the case i feel really sorry for your parents. if only they knew your viewpoint! they should have just stuck you in the local comp with all us commoners, seeing as reading a text book is enough to pass exams :smile: i'm sure when you're considering your children's education, you'll do that because a levels really are THAT EASY.

p.s. all the top universities i've applied to beg to differ, mate. i challenge you to get 100 ums in humanities subjects. it's not as straightforward as solving a calculation. in fact, people who excel in sciences often can't write a decent essay to save their life. i would rather study something that is enjoyable and actually relevant so i can talk about current issues with knowledge, than work my arse off in subjects i hate, to gain knowledge no one needs to know so i can sit on an almighty throne of self righteousness with people like you, who in their spare time talk about issues on tsr that they clearly know nothing about.
Reply 187
Original post by StarsAreFixed
Ah no I didn't mean that stealing is the major factor, the downturn is of course the main thing. The point is that on top of all the crap stores are dealing with from poor sales, stealing hurts them further so it's as if it's extra unfair in these times. Sorry if that was unclear. Well stealing is what's noticed by store managers and security moreso than staff, and it's the stocktake that reveals how bad it is.

Yes it is the store implementing their policies but it is highly unfair if people didn't bring back extra change if they knew that the operator would then head for a warning. The point is that people assume that it's the actual head office who are able to absorb the loss without realising that shoplifting and the backlash over till shortages affect particular people and particular stores.

I can tell you that Dunnes and Tesco implement the warning thing. Xtra-vision, newsagents and pubs make people pay it back themselves- unfortunately this tends to be stores where several people use the one till so a loss affects everyone. It's not big corporations that do that, it's the very small ones.

It's really easy to lose money from your till, especially if you're on it for your whole shifts all the time, in a really busy store where you're under pressure to clear the queue. It can be from cashback you forgot to give to someone, being the victim of a change scam, or something stupid like giving out two 10's instead of 1 because they're so crisp they're stuck together. Or your till could have an incorrect float or be counted off wrong. It's not as if you have to lose £20 to have your loss noted down- plenty of places start highlighting at £2 or less.

yeah i understand what you're saying about the till thing, but it isn't stealing, it's more the cashiers fault. part of my role at work is a cashier and sometimes money just goes missing no matter how careful you're being. but this is a bit off topic from the point i was making. i just wanted to address what you said about stealing hurting individuals because i don't believe this to be true. yes i probably didn't notice it being just general staff, but i can't say stealing hurts individuals in terms of jobs etc. the profit big companies make is huge so petty stealing doesn't hurt them to the extent of cutting jobs and whatever. obviously this is different for small businesses but i wasn't talking about them.
Listen people

Stop posting.

I keep thinking its OP coming to tell us what happened lol! :giggle:
Either

A) It was all rubbish (which I think is mostly likely, i don't know anyone who would admitt to shoplifting online and the story seems a tad fabricated) :rolleyes:

B) Shes been arrested

C) Her parents have chained her up in a cellar with no food or water

Reply 190
Original post by Annie72
Her parents have probably stopped her from using the internet/grounded her till she's 65 :tongue:

Did her parents destroy her laptop and post it on youtube as well? :smile:
Reply 191
Original post by Herr

They put a bullet through it.
Original post by Herr

Reply 193
ahh the suspense is killing me people!!
I smell cowpat...
OP wouldn't be held in a cell, they'll just interview her and let her go. If doesn't matter if Boots decide not to prosecute, in this country it's the police's decision. They'll probably warn her and say some things to scare her hoping she won't do it again. The police are more pressing matters to deal with so she'll get away with the slap on the wrists. Obviously this is just me bull****ting what might happen! :biggrin:
Original post by SophiaKeuning
Because I don't like giving my money to multi-million worth businesses.

And I presume you call anyone that disagrees with you a 'fascist pig' :rolleyes:
Reply 197
[QUOTE="ilovehobnobs;36338721"]
Original post by katerawlinson
Ok, I know we shouldn't of done it but.... It happened.

Well aren't you an idiot. You might as well leave here, as your never going to be a student. Messing up your whole life for a few cosmetics? You need to smack your head against a brick walk girly.

Ah well, another person to spunk my tax on their council housing and 35 kids.

People like you make me sick.

You have more to worry about than what your parents think. I would be ashamed of you tbh.

Who are you to judge what is right or wrong?

You think the big companies can't afford a few things going missing?
[QUOTE="Rant;36352833"]
Original post by ilovehobnobs

Who are you to judge what is right or wrong?

You think the big companies can't afford a few things going missing?

:rofl:

I'm not even going to justify that with an answer :facepalm:
Original post by vcarey
Wow, don't listen to these people. They know absolutely nothing, obviously. You will generally only need to declare it if you are going into a job working with vulnerable people, law, things like that. Even so, declaring it will NOT stop them from hiring you. In some cases if you can really explain how it has taught you something valuable it might even go in your favour. It will not prevent you from going to university either. If you want to do certain courses such as social work, nursing etc. then you will need to declare it and have a CRB check but, again, it might even work in your favour. I got a reprimand for shoplifting when I was 16 - I'm 19 now and have had CRBs to work in the care sector (with vulnerable people) and have just had an offer from Bath university to study social work there. Ignore these people please! Shoplifting when you're 17 is a minor offence. Employers/ admissions tutors will be looking more for your skills etc. than whether you once made the silly mistake of shoplifting when you were young and naive - it's a mistake that many make, so don't worry.

Oh, and with regards to "you will have to declare it for the rest of your life" - that is nonsense. It is written of after 5 years.

No but in reality employers have a lot of people to choose from and so to look at their CRB check is a quick way of doing it. Yes, you an say that and all that employers won't mind but the will. Ok you can get into university but after that...

Latest

Trending

Trending