The Student Room Group

Hi all. Question about SLC

Hi People.

I have just found this forum and I am not sure where to post the questions I need to ask. It is regarding funding.

I am the second year of a foundation degree and I feel it was completely mis-sold to me. I was told that I would be perfectly able to complete the degree with no prior experience in the field, and this has turned out to be entirely untrue. Half the class which began with me have already dropped out for the same reason, the only remaining members have all been studying for two and three years at the same institution leading to this point.

So, one question is - am I able to demand that the funds for tution fees are returned to the SLC so that I may begin a different degree? Is there any kind of infrastructure in place to have the situation at least investigated? I am not alone in this, as I have said.

Further to that, if I drop out now, I think I have two years funding left - in which case I could begin a foundation degree in a different subject, though not receive funding to top it up to a bachelors degree.

I know this is a lot, and there are blanks, but if anybody has any knowledge and needs any areas filling in, just ask.

I am sure the mods can move this post if it is in the wrong place :smile:
Reply 1
You do not have two years funding left. You have: length of course + 1 year - previous study

If you took a 2 year foundation course now you would have a maintenance loan only in your first year and full funding for the final year. If you started a 3 year degree now, you would have maintenance loan only in your first year and full funding for years 2 and 3. Basically, whatever course you do now, you will have to fund the first year's tuition yourself.

As for compaining - it would be you V the university's legal team. You would have an extremely difficult fight on your hands. And, even if they did re-pay your tuition fees, you would then have another fight with SF, as they don't care if fees are repayed, or never taken in the first place - they count your previous study, regardless of previous financing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Fantastic. So because some course head was trying to ensure his job for another couple of years, I (along with several other people) have been mis-sold a degree and, in a nutshell, had any hope of an education taken away from me?

That is just brilliant. And you think there is no way to take this further? I will, in that case, see a solicitor. I am entitled to legal aid. I will contact the nine other people who were all mis-sold the same degree and who have already dropped off. It seems none of them have any thing left to lose by telling their story either.

I know for a fact that one of the tutors wives did the same course and plagiarized almost every word of her final project. It is a running joke on the campus. I won't be the only one wishing I had never been mis-sold this course it seems.

Again, thanks for the help.
Reply 3
Which uni btw?
Reply 4
Your only option, other than two very lengthy legal battles (and I'm talking years) is to try to get onto the second year of a degree course. You would have more of a chance of that, than winning your case, IMO.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending