The Student Room Group

Is doing only 7-8 GCSEs bad?

Well, i'm in year 10.. and i'm doing 8 GCSEs at the moment..(maths, english, science ,spanish, history, IT, R.E. and a BTEC in P.E. (which i think is totally useless)).. and i hate to mention but i am terrified that i am not doing nearly as much.. but i AM predicted A*-Bs in all but i guess 7's too little, as reading the forums and seeing many other who are doing 11 and more..

Is 7 a bad thing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jennifer.tariah
Well, i'm in year 10.. and i'm doing 8 GCSEs at the moment..(maths, english, science ,spanish, history, IT, R.E. and a BTEC in P.E. (which i think is totally useless)).. and i hate to mention but i am terrified that i am not doing nearly as much.. but i AM predicted A*-Bs in all but i guess 7's too little, as reading the forums and seeing many other who are doing 11 and more..

Is 7 a bad thing?

It isn't a bad thing... why did you only count "science" as one subject? Don't you do Biology, Physics and Chemistry?

*edit*: i'm confused as to why i'm getting negatively repped... i was asking a serious question regarding her perhaps having more GCSEs than she thought. :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Nope, its fine. I done 9.

I assume you're doing English Lit and Lang, and for Science you're doing double award? (Perhaps even triple award which is 3 GCSEs?) So that means you're doing 9, which is pretty much the average number of GCSEs.
Reply 3
Firstly, don't presume that the majority people on TSR are 'average students', without sounding big-headed, the majority are at the upper scale academically.

I wouldn't worry about doing 7-8 GCSE's, provided they're all at a reasonable grade (which fits with A*-B), you shouldn't have a problem.

If you have any further worries or questions don't hesitate to drop me a PM or something and I'll help however I can :smile:
Reply 4
No, some people do even less.

Its quality not quantity. Always remember that.
Original post by kaying
It isn't a bad thing... why did you only count "science" as one subject? Don't you do Biology, Physics and Chemistry?

I am doing, All three but.. it only counts as 2 Gcse's Core & Additional. but i'm afraid i will have to retake core next year.. because my knowledge in Science is very little.
Original post by 344302
Nope, its fine. I done 9.

I assume you're doing English Lit and Lang, and for Science you're doing double award? (Perhaps even triple award which is 3 GCSEs?) So that means you're doing 9, which is pretty much the average number of GCSEs.

Yes i do both but i am only awarded 1 gcse for english
Reply 7
I was always told that universities would only look at you if you were doing at least 8 GCSE's. But I'm sure you will be fine. GOOD LUCK!

<3 x
Reply 8
I did 5, now I am doing my PhD...
I have the same amount of GCSEs as you and it is not bad at all because not all schools let pupils study 10 or more GCSES because it causes more stress on the pupils and that is why the government want students to get a least Five GCSEs - including English, maths and science. These are the main subjects and you have more than five. Well done for achieving them grades and you worked hard for it.
Original post by LETSJaM
I was always told that universities would only look at you if you were doing at least 8 GCSE's. But I'm sure you will be fine. GOOD LUCK!

<3 x

Nonsense. Many unis will only ask for Maths and English at B if at all.
The headmaster of Eton College once even suggested pupils should only take 5 GCSEs.
Thank you guys! You have given my a different perspective of my subjects.. i was being to think my school was the fault as they only let me choose 3 as i selected to do the english bac. But yeah. thanks a bunch!
Original post by jennifer.tariah
I am doing, All three but.. it only counts as 2 Gcse's Core & Additional. but i'm afraid i will have to retake core next year.. because my knowledge in Science is very little.

It's okay I only did 9 GCSE's and I had to do science and additional science but I still went on to do Higher (Scottish equivalent of As level) Chemistry and Physics. I now have offers from 3 pretty good universities for maths (so far) so I wouldn't worry about the quantity of GCSE's you are doing, it's how well you do in them that matters (if anything matters at all).
Reply 13
I don't do many.

I do: Childcare (which isn't a GCSE qualification), Maths, English, Core Science, Additional Science, RE, Art, Ict

So yeah I do 7, because we were only allowed to pick 3 options and childcare is a double, apparently you get 2 gcses in english though
Original post by iJess
I don't do many.

I do: Childcare (which isn't a GCSE qualification), Maths, English, Core Science, Additional Science, RE, Art, Ict

So yeah I do 7, because we were only allowed to pick 3 options and childcare is a double, apparently you get 2 gcses in english though

I'll ask my English teacher but i was pretty sure she said 1.. though..
What are your predicted gradee?
Reply 15
I don't think it's too much of a barrier. I only did 8 (which was normal at my school) and now, in year 13, I'm sitting here with 5 offers, 4 of which are from Russell Group universities. I reckon having a high proportion of A* / A's is better than having a high number of A* / A's.
Reply 16
I saw in Science you got 3 GCSEs out, and English you got 2 for Lang and Lit? and PE you get doubel Distinctions? Therefore you will end up with loads: around 10 or 11???
No, they are fine.
Just concentrate on them and try to achieve those A*'s :biggrin:
You're absolutely fine with 8 GCSEs. Many university courses only ask for 5 at grade C or above including Maths and English (sometimes Science) so providing you get decent grades the amount won't hinder you.

Try not to compare yourself to the people of TSR, there are a lot of intelligent people on this forum and opinionated views on what success actually means/what university is good/what course is good etc. but there is more to a person than the number of qualifications you have.

Quality, not quantity.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
You're absolutely fine with 8 GCSEs. Many university courses only ask for 5 at grade C or above including Maths and English (sometimes Science) so providing you get decent grades the amount won't hinder you.

Try not to compare yourself to the people of TSR, there are a lot of intelligent people on this forum and opinionated views on what success actually means/what university is good/what course is good etc. but there is more to a person than the number of qualifications you have.

Quality, not quantity.

No its Quality and Quantity.

Quick Reply

Latest