The Student Room Group

Work programme advisor insisting I give employer's information.

I previously been put on a work programme with a job agency after claiming JSA for a while. The advisor knows I'm now working for Sainsburys outside of my home town, and keeps encouraging me to apply for a job back at home. He knows I'm still looking for a better job. He keeps asking for my employer's address, manager's name, and contact details. Claims it's vital for DWP. For my last temp job in my home town, my advisor never asked for this information. Why do I suspect he's trying to inform Sainsburys I'm thinking of leaving so they can sack me? Am I overlooking things? :confused: He's already attempted to contact HR but they, according to him, gave him a shove off lol. If it's so official and mandatory wouldn't HR had helped him?

I've already contacted Job Centre Plus to stop my JSA in between jobs, and I've filled in my P46 form to pay tax.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by theamazingcookie
I previously been put on a work programme with a job agency after claiming JSA for a while. The advisor knows I'm now working for Sainsburys outside of my home town, and keeps encouraging me to apply for a job back at home. He knows I'm still looking for a better job. He keeps asking for my employer's address, manager's name, and contact details. Claims it's vital for DWP. For my last temp job in my home town, my advisor never asked for this information. Why do I suspect he's trying to inform Sainsburys I'm thinking of leaving so they can sack me? Am I overlooking things? :confused: He's already attempted to contact HR but they, according to him, gave him a shove off lol. If it's so official and mandatory wouldn't HR had helped him?

I've already contacted Job Centre Plus to stop my JSA in between jobs, and I've filled in my P46 form to pay tax.

If I'm reading this right, you're not claiming JSA at the moment correct? If that's the case and you've signed off, then the adviser has no reason to request that information. Honestly, if he's phoning your HR department then you should contact the manager of the Jobcentre he's working in and ask them to have a word with him.

However, if you are still claiming and also working part time, they do need to know about your work.
Original post by gateshipone
If I'm reading this right, you're not claiming JSA at the moment correct? If that's the case and you've signed off, then the adviser has no reason to request that information. Honestly, if he's phoning your HR department then you should contact the manager of the Jobcentre he's working in and ask them to have a word with him.

However, if you are still claiming and also working part time, they do need to know about your work.

I'm not claiming JSA. Stopped that before I started working. He just said he needs this info to confirm my work status for DWP. Doesn't that info get taken from my P46 anyway? That's what my national insurance number is for, right? I haven't been singing in with Job Centre Plus or the job agency for my work programme anymore now. I'm in a two year contract for the work programme so he's suppose to keep in touch with me during this period.
Original post by theamazingcookie
I'm not claiming JSA. Stopped that before I started working. He just said he needs this info to confirm my work status for DWP. Doesn't that info get taken from my P46 anyway? That's what my national insurance number is for, right? I haven't been singing in with Job Centre Plus or the job agency for my work programme anymore now. I'm in a two year contract for the work programme so he's suppose to keep in touch with me during this period.

Assuming you signed off either over the phone or by filling in your ES40 booklet and handing that into your Jobcentre (or posted it there), then there's no reason I can think of that he'd need that info.

There's a possibility it's a work programme thing I'm not aware of, since it was introduced after I left, but honestly if you don't get JSA then I dunno why he'd care. Give the JCP he works at a ring and ask someone there if they know why he'd need it.
Different question but I can't be arsed creating a new thread.

My p45 is in my home town. Already filled in my p46 for Sainsburys. If I'm going to be leaving for a new job, do I still need to hand in my p45 form and fill in a p46 form for the new job until I receive the p45 form back? Or should I just leave it as p46 and hand in my p45 for the new job? :confused:
You'll get a new P45 once you leave Sainsbury. That's the one you'll need to give to a new employer.
After doing some research I found out why.

Companies contracted to participate in the work programme get paid whenever someone on JSA and signing on with them manages to secure a job.

1) The advisor can't get paid if i sign off JSA saying I'm going on holiday instead of I've found a job.

2) Even if I say I've found a job, the advisor needs to get my employer's details, emailing them a form to fill in and return before DWP pays out.

I'm in a two year contract for the work programme, and according to DWP, the longer I remain employed during this period the more money the work programme contracted company will be earning, and this amount is much higher than what I'll be working my arse off to earn.

HR probably has a policy to refuse giving internal info to outsiders lol. Good for them. Besides, I got the job entirely on my own effort and travelling expenses.
Reply 7
Yes your research is correct
And the response from hr to deny him the information is allso spot on as it seems to be a breach of the data protection act

Further more you can send the workprogram you were enslaved under a
Withdrawal Of Consent letter to deny them any opportunity to distribute your CV or other personal information, and to prevent them attempting to contact any past/present/future employer

Why should he profit from your hard work as i suspect he did very little if anything to help you while you were there, and im sure he would of sactioned you in a heartbeat at any non compliance of his demands..

You do not even have to tell the jobcentre your new employer if you sign off you just lose out on a small roll on benefit of 1 month

just google work program withdrawl of consent letter all the info is there including an upto date draft of the letter i have only been looking into this for the first time tonight myself so am no expert but i found this site most helpful
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?309173-Ingeus

Turns out we never had to sign these forms in the first place its voluntary for you to share this information not mandatory they just dont tell you that or we never read the form, either way you have the right to withdrawl your concent to share it
Reply 8
Yes your research sounds about right
Allso the response from hr to withould the information from him would allso seem correct as it could be a breach of the data protection act..
When you were first inducted into the workprogram you will have signed some forms, one of these forms would have been a concent form for them to use your personal data and contact employers etc...
I bet they didnt tell you that signing this form is optional rather than mandatory and you would of incurred no sanction to your benefit for refuseing to sign.
You can withdraw your consent
send the WP company a Withdrawal Of Consent letter to deny them any opportunity to distribute your CV or other personal information, and to prevent them attempting to contact any past/present/future employer.
Here is a link to the letter
http://consent.me.uk/workfareconsent/
I have allso found usefull information at this site
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?309173-Ingeus
Once your consent is withdrawn it will be illigal for him to contact your employer again and they could face a hefty fine if they breach..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending