Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King’s College London Open Week 12-16 March

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by EMT
Hi
I was wondering if you could give me a bit of information about the Politics, Philosophy & Law course, which i think is new for 2012-13. Sorry i know thats a bit of a broad question, but i really wanted to apply for history and politics/philosophy, and wondered if there were certain modules I could take that may be more history inclined.

Also, i know that in Scottish universities and at Leeds you are able to use a certain amount of credits on 'elective' modules which can be in a subject different to that which you are studying. Is there anything similar to this available at Kings?

Just one more thing :/ Are there many jobs available in the university itself?
ooh and lastly, how easy is it to undertake work placements, or experiences abroad during the summer/part of the year??

Sorry if thats a bit longwinded, and thanks so much for this opportunity to ask,
thank you! :smile:

Dear EMT,

With respect to the 2nd half of your queries, I’m happy to report that there are plenty of work opportunities both at King’s and off campus :biggrin:!

Many students, both from the UK and overseas, work part time during term time (and often work full time during the vacations particularly to help fund their studies). If you are from an EU country, you will not be restricted as to the type of work you can do or the hours you can work, but make sure you don’t overwork yourself to the point where your college work suffers! If you are applying as an International student then some restrictions may be made on the type of work you are able to do as well as the number of hours.

A great place to look for work opportunities is http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/services/careers/Jobs.aspx

One awesome position in particular is working as a Student Ambassador (e.g. the individuals who are responding to your questions here on the Student Room :cool:). As a student ambassador you act as a student representative, where your job description can range from giving new students campus tours to travelling to local schools to talk about King’s to future prospective students.

The careers centre at King’s is a great place to start. They can offer help in putting together or updating your CV in addition to offering workshops on how to gain work experience. They also offer sessions to introduce students to potential employers. The Internships Office would be able to help you in terms of setting up how to go about undertaking work placements or gain experiences abroad: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/abroad/contactus/internoffice/index.aspx

I hope this information was useful to you!

- Dalia
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by KAgrawal
Thanks for your response, Emma! It certainly makes me breathe easier since I haven't heard from King's at all about the next steps after firming my offer.

To follow up, since enrolment starts on September 17, I presume university housing will not be made available until then either? I'm an international student from the United States who would like to come to London a few days in advance of enrolment and orientation so that I can settle in a little bit and not be jet lagged, and I was wondering if there were any options available through King's.

You also mentioned events for offer holders. Would these be held only in the UK or will there be similar events in the US as well?

Hi KAgrawal

Thanks for your questions :smile:

The move in date for King's residences is Saturday 15 September. For intercollegiate residences this is likely to be Sunday 16 September. If you would like to move into your King's residence before the arrival date of 15 September, you need to contact the residence to which you have been allocated and make the request. However, please note that you can only arrival 7 days before the 15 September and all early arrivals are subject to availability and would be at an additional cost.

Yes, there are offer holder receptions for applicants in the US. They are taking place on in New York on 20 April (contact [email protected] for info and to register) and San Francisco on 20 April (contact [email protected] for info and to register). Also events in Washington DC on 23 April and Boston on 29 April (contact [email protected] for info and to register), and finally an event in Los Angeles on 29 April (contact [email protected] for info and to register).

If you aren’t able to make these dates, we’re also holding online offer holder webinars for US applicants on 26 March, 16 April and 21 May, please contact [email protected] for details and how to register.

Hope this helps:smile:

Fran

NB. For others reading this post, please note that these events are only open to applicants from the US who hold an offer with King’s. If you don’t have an offer then unfortunately you won’t be able to attend or register. Sorry about that, but we will be doing plenty more open days and webinars in the near future for international and UK/EU students which you will be able to attend if you want to find out more about King’s.:smile:
Original post by Surflee
Hi Fran & the excellent King's Team,

I have put in an appeal through MyApplication website. Send it out but there is no acknowledgement receipt.

I would suggest that an auto responder be set up to acknowledge what was sent as this would ease much anxiety for those like me who has put in an appeal or for any other important questions. I am not even sure if it was sent out properly as there is no record of my outgoing email to King's.

Thanks again.

Surflee

Hi Surflee

Thanks for your suggestion; this is definitely something I will be passing on the team that operates the myApplication portal and see whether they think this is an improvement they can make for the future. I can see that it would be a very useful addition to help put people at ease!

Fingers crossed for your appeal :smile:

Fran
Original post by ruixue
Hey Emma,

Thanks for your answers ! Im a little worried now about the average, mine is 7.87 (on a scale of 1-10) so that would mean I miss it by 0.13? Are they that strict or do they round off upwards, which means my average is sufficient? I asked the admissions department too and they said: 'If you are just below the required 8, it is still worth applying, as we sometimes consider students who are just below the requirement (although I can offer no guarantees.)'. Basically what they are saying is that my average is not good enough...Can anybody please shed some light on this? The whole grade thing is making me go loco loco, I have no idea whether they are good enough or not :frown:

also, I need to give two referees, do they have to be teachers or can it also be someone else (someone relevant, like your former boss at a part time job?)

thaaaaaanks in advance :smile:

Hi ruixue

Thanks for the questions and I'm sorry to hear this is stressing you out, so lets hope we can get things sorted! :smile:

Essentially, the admissions team are right when they say that they will consider your application. If you have missed the requirement by just 0.13 and have written a really strong personal statement and are demonstrating your passion for the degree and how your experience thus far relates to it, then you will have put yourself in an excellent position anyway.

In terms of references, if you have two academic references (lecturers, teachers etc) then I would probably go with them. However if you know you will get an excellent and appropriate reference from a former employer, then choose them, alongside one academic reference. In my personal experience, when I did my MA I chose my dissertation tutor and another lecturer to write my references and that seemed to work for me :smile:

I hope this helps, and remember you are REALLY close to the entry requirements so I would say that it is definitely worth giving your all and getting a really strong application in, as you just never know! :smile:

Best of luck

Fran
Reply 464
Thanks again for your answers!

Just a couple more questions:

a) How are the courses at the Modern Language Centre structured (provided a language isn't a requirement for your degree)? Will they appear on the student's transcript (even if the courses aren't taken for credit)?

b) I've noticed that the academic staff of the Political Economy department (at least those listed online) focus solely on public policy and politics/international relations. Who would be teaching the economics based modules?

Thank you in advance!
Reply 465
Original post by Telekasi
Thanks again for your answers!

Just a couple more questions:

a) How are the courses at the Modern Language Centre structured (provided a language isn't a requirement for your degree)? Will they appear on the student's transcript (even if the courses aren't taken for credit)?

b) I've noticed that the academic staff of the Political Economy department (at least those listed online) focus solely on public policy and politics/international relations. Who would be teaching the economics based modules?

Thank you in advance!

Hi Telekasi,

a) The classes are structured in two-hour weekly classes. I don't know whether they will appear on your transcript if the course aren't taken for credit, I'm afraid. However, I can put you in touch with the MLC and they'll be more than happy to help you: [email protected] or telephone: +44 (0)20 7848 2890

b) Some staff in the Political Economy Department have research interests and teach economics modules. You can access the full descriptions of the staff in the department here: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/sspp/departments/politicaleconomy/people/academic/index.aspx

If you are interested in studying Politics of the International Economy, I would recommend you get in touch with the Programme Leader, who will be able to tell you about the staff who will be teaching economics-based modules: [email protected]

- Ben
Reply 466
Hi Fran/Caulfield,

The History course that I am interested in is MRes History. I was just being nosey really about what to expect in terms of class size/how many people actually apply for such a course.

Thank you for your response regarding taking classes in other UoL institutions as well - it was very useful & will be added to the 'pros' list for KCL...which is already pretty extensive! :smile:

Many thanks again for taking the time to talk to us all - all of your answers have been great so far.
Reply 467
Hi King's team!

I'll hopefully be attending King's this year studying History, that is if I get the grades! I was thinking of trying to get a part time job while I'm down there just to earn a little more money, nothing huge, just bar work or something like that. So I just wondered how easy it was to find part time jobs that are quite close by?
Reply 468
Original post by Caulfield
Hi ash911,

Congratulations on your offer! That's right, King's College Hall (the halls I'm living in right now) won't be available from 23rd June because they're being knocked down and a new King's residence is being built there for 2014. In light of this, King's has partnered with UNITE to offer accommodation at Moonraker Point: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/accom/kings/nominated/unite.aspx

Unfortunately, there won't be any catered accommodation for King's students unless you want to go for intercollegiate halls (which are very good, by the way). The intercollegiate halls are mostly based in Bloomsbury, a lovely area of London so I recommend you consider them if you'd like catered accommodation. It provides for a more vibrant experience as you're meeting people from all the University of London colleges! :smile:

- Ben

hmm i see.. alright thanks for the info! i will consider intercollegiate halls then :smile:
Original post by King’s College London
Hi prospectiveoxonian,

I've just spoken with the student funding office.

To confirm, you do not need to have firmed your offer before applying for the scholarship. Applicants to the scholarship will be notified of the decision over whether they have been successful or not in achieving the scholarship in early May, which is before the deadline of when you need firm with UCAS (9 May).

Therefore we would advise you to get your application for the scholarship in ASAP to meet the deadline at the end of March.

If you have more detailed enquiries about the scholarships, I would advise you to get in touch with the Student Funding office at King's who will have the most up to date info: [email protected] or 020 7848 4362 / 4363 / 4471.

Hope this helps:smile:

Fran

Dear Fran,

I can never thank you enough for this. Many thanks, indeed!
Hi,

I've accepted an unconditional offer for a Grad Dip in Maths next year - but as my undergrad was not in maths (i hae done additional qualifications though as required and been accepted) i would like to start reading up.

1) Do you know who I ask or where I can get a reading list for the modules I am interested in for next year? I'm employed at the moment, ideal time for me to start reading up.

2) Also I was interested in the option of doing modules from other universities - one module only from Imperial College, I have also seen one I like at UCL though - is this an option on that course?

3) If I continue with further study, what are the possiblities / options for studies in Hong Kong? Could I potentially do a Masters there with KCL?

3) Final question - I have the money for the tuition, for my personal financial planning it would be great to get that payment out of the way and just pay it asap. Do you know when the earliest opportunity to pay my fees is? I am a resident in London at the moment and the offer is unconditional so hopefully this is possible / straightforward?

Thanks!!!
Original post by rural_boy
Hi King's team!

I'll hopefully be attending King's this year studying History, that is if I get the grades! I was thinking of trying to get a part time job while I'm down there just to earn a little more money, nothing huge, just bar work or something like that. So I just wondered how easy it was to find part time jobs that are quite close by?

Hi rural_boy!

Thanks for the message!

There are lots of options open to students who want to consider working for a few hours to supplement their finances. King's Careers & Employability has a jobs database that lists part time work suitable for students across London, there is also casual work you can do at King's (such as work in the canteen, library etc) and King's College London Student Union (KCLSU) also has many jobs such as working in the KCLSU shop, on reception at the gym or working in the Student Union bars. There is also the Student Ambassador scheme where current students work on many events such open days and show prospective students around the campus.

So basically there are lots of options to help you earn a few extra pennies without taking away too much time from your studies.

Hope this helps :smile:

Fran
Original post by Nixiii
Hi Fran/Caulfield,

The History course that I am interested in is MRes History. I was just being nosey really about what to expect in terms of class size/how many people actually apply for such a course.

Thank you for your response regarding taking classes in other UoL institutions as well - it was very useful & will be added to the 'pros' list for KCL...which is already pretty extensive! :smile:

Many thanks again for taking the time to talk to us all - all of your answers have been great so far.

Hi Nixiii!

Just spoken with someone from the admissions team for this programme. They did say that class size varies from year to year but roughly speaking it would be small seminar/class sizes which would be between 15-30 people, but obviously this just depends on how many offers are made and accepted (unfortunately my colleague wasn't able to access info on no. of applications at the moment! Sorry!)

Hope this helps :smile:

Fran
Original post by prospectiveoxonian
Dear Fran,

I can never thank you enough for this. Many thanks, indeed!

No problem prospectiveoxonian, good luck with the application!

Fran :smile:
I am SOOO jealous of you people :frown:
Reply 475
That's great - thank you so much for all of your advice! :smile:
Reply 476
Hi there,

I'm going to study English Language and Communication at King's!!
There is second year module called Modern Foreign Language, but it might not be taught on the same level as all your other modules depending on your language skills.
Can I take a language course (Level 4) in my first year and continue with it in my second year (Level 5) as part of my modules?

And: Is it possible to take an additional module offered by a department other than mine?

Thanks for your help!
Original post by Mushroomer
Hi,

I've accepted an unconditional offer for a Grad Dip in Maths next year - but as my undergrad was not in maths (i hae done additional qualifications though as required and been accepted) i would like to start reading up.

1) Do you know who I ask or where I can get a reading list for the modules I am interested in for next year? I'm employed at the moment, ideal time for me to start reading up.

2) Also I was interested in the option of doing modules from other universities - one module only from Imperial College, I have also seen one I like at UCL though - is this an option on that course?

3) If I continue with further study, what are the possiblities / options for studies in Hong Kong? Could I potentially do a Masters there with KCL?

3) Final question - I have the money for the tuition, for my personal financial planning it would be great to get that payment out of the way and just pay it asap. Do you know when the earliest opportunity to pay my fees is? I am a resident in London at the moment and the offer is unconditional so hopefully this is possible / straightforward?

Thanks!!!

Hi Mushroomer,

Thanks for your questions and congrats on the unconditional offer! That's great! :smile:

I think a lot of your questions could probably be best directed at the programme leader for this programme as he sets the reading lists for the modules and can advise on whether there is the chance to study modules at other University of London universities (this isn't available for every programme unfortunately). He will also be able to give guidance on studying at our partner institutions, such as Hong Kong University and University of Sao Paulo, whether you would be able to do this. The programme leader is Professor George Papadopoulos: [email protected]

With regards to postgraduate tuition fees, generally they are paid in two installments (31 October and 31 January). However if you pay the full amount at the first installment date (31 October or before) you will receive a 2% discount. I just spoken to the fees payment team and they have advised me that you can pay in advance of 31 October. To do this you will need your student number (not sure if you have this yet?) and then you can pay via this website: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/feepay/index.aspx

I hope this helps! :smile:

Fran
Original post by Nixiii
That's great - thank you so much for all of your advice! :smile:

No probs! :smile:
Reply 479
hello again, quick questions

which intercollegiate hall is located closest to the Strand campus? withing walking distance preferably. also, is it possible to not get receive any accommodation offer at all (be it for a King's residence or intercollegiate hall)? i'm an international student and not getting a place to stay is one of my biggest worries..

Quick Reply

Latest