The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King’s College London Open Week 12-16 March

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Hello KCL,
I'm an IB student in America with a conditional offer as was wondering what the qualifications are to pay home fees versus overseas? I am assuming anyone who doesn't live in England pays overseas. The reason I ask is because on the Student Finance England website, it foggily appears that someone with a UK passport/ who is a UK national may qualify for financial assistance and I was wondering if this also applied to Kings. Thank you very much,
Sophie :smile:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 621
Hi there, I am very interested in the Kings War studies programme. I know it is very competitive and there are limited places and was wondering how much applying for deffered entry would harm my chances? I am planning to go to china for a gap year where I can learn mandarin as I have no skills in languages - It would be very hard for me to do the whole ucas thing whilst in china so deffered is probably a better bet for me... how do kings look upon deferred applications? thanks :smile:
Reply 622
Hello,

I was just wondering if there was any way to see the average A Level grades of prospective students for Biomedical Sciences at KCL. I know that the offer is AAB, but I've been told by my careers teachers etc that most students that get in have much higher grades. I'm pretty sure there is a website that you can go on to see these kind of statistics but I can't remember what that website it!

Thanks!
Reply 623
For the dentistry course at Kings College, what are the entry requirements for GCSE's, AS, and UKCAT?
Original post by Hkadiri
Hi, i've received an offer from kings on the Pharmacy course.
I'm still deciding whether to accept kings or UCL school of Pharmacy as my firm choice. The only thing stopping me from choosing kings is that I heard you have to do a lot of independant study at kings compared to UCL. Other than that, it's an excellent uni! please could you shed some light on this matter.
Thanks.

Hi Hkadiri

Thanks for your message and congratulations on your offers. In answer to your questions there are typically 12 hours lectures in year 1 going up to 16 hours in year 3, but fewer face to face lectures in year 4. There are between 6-9 hours of lab per week in years 1, 2 and 3. There are also a number of case-based learning sessions throughout all years requiring the students to research the case and advise appropriately on treatment, something that you would do when working as a pharmacist.

Obviously how much independent study you do is up to the individual but it is a very important factor for any university programme as you are expected to build upon the things you learn in lectures, tutorials and lab based work.

Hope this helps :smile:

Fran
Original post by Phenylethylamine_
I'm applying for student finance though I haven't firmed by uni choice, I'm provisionally putting KCL as my first choice. I live zone 4, will be applying for accommodation but not sure if I will get it in the first term etc/ because of the M25 rule so do I apply for a maintenance loan for accommodation or not on student finance? :s-smilie: If I go Durham University then I will definitely will be applying for accommodation.

Hi Phenylethylamine_

Thanks for your message. It might be worth contacting the Accommodation Office and/or the Fees and Funding Office with your questions and specific circumstance as they will be able to give you the most up to date advice and advise you on your best options. You can reach the Accommodation office on 020 7848 2759 and Funding on 020 7848 4362 / 020 7848 4363/ 020 7848 4471 or [email protected]

Fran :smile:
Original post by onejpu2
Hello KCL,
I'm an IB student in America with a conditional offer as was wondering what the qualifications are to pay home fees versus overseas? I am assuming anyone who doesn't live in England pays overseas. The reason I ask is because on the Student Finance England website, it foggily appears that someone with a UK passport/ who is a UK national may qualify for financial assistance and I was wondering if this also applied to Kings. Thank you very much,
Sophie :smile:

Hi Sophie

Thanks for your message. You're right, essentially as an international student you have to pay international fees. There are several options for students who are from the UK/EU or who are international to apply for financial assistance. It might be worth checking out this page on the website: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/ug/funding/stufund/2012-13/index.aspx

I would advise that you get in touch with our Fees and Funding Office as they will be able to advise you directly on your specific circumstances and the options available to you. They can be contacted on: 020 7848 4362 / 020 7848 4363 / 020 7848 4471 or [email protected]

Hope this helps:smile:

Fran
Original post by twister1
Hi there, I am very interested in the Kings War studies programme. I know it is very competitive and there are limited places and was wondering how much applying for deffered entry would harm my chances? I am planning to go to china for a gap year where I can learn mandarin as I have no skills in languages - It would be very hard for me to do the whole ucas thing whilst in china so deffered is probably a better bet for me... how do kings look upon deferred applications? thanks :smile:

Hi twister1

Thanks for your message. We are very happy to consider deferred entry applications at King's. Essentially if you are meeting the entry requirements and prepare a good personal statement (I would definitely include the gap year and language development which would look very good!) we will look on you in the same way as an applicant for entry this year.

Fran
Original post by chloe2
For the dentistry course at Kings College, what are the entry requirements for GCSE's, AS, and UKCAT?

Hi chloe2

Thanks for your message. Our Online Prospectus has lots of information about entry requirements for the Dentistry programme so it would be worth checking that out: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/entryrequirements/name/dentistry/alpha/D/header_search/

Alternatively you could email or speak to the Dentistry admissions team on [email protected] or 020 7848 6512 and they will also be able to advise you.

Fran
Hello, KCL,

I'm currently doing my AS-levels, and interested in studying law at King's, I'm predicted four As this year, although I'm concerned that I may come out with AAAB; would those be acceptable results for applying to law, given how competitive it is? I know there are other factors that are taken into consideration, such as GCSE grades and the LNAT, but I want to know if I'm just kidding myself if I apply with less than AAAA....

Hi there,
I've got a conditional offer for philosophy (I need to pass my IELTS with a certain grade) but due to financial and family issues I think it would probably be better for me if I'd start on september 2013 instead of this one. do I have to ask them to defer my entry after matching all the criteria, in other words after passing my IELTS exam, or can I ask them now - and anyway pass my exam before the deadline (31/08/2012)?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 631
Hello KCL,
If I do not meet the IB requirements (38 marks) for the course (War Studies and Philosophy), is it possible for me to reapply next year or would that be in vain? Would admissions look more favorably upon a freshman year in NYU Paris in their Liberal Studies program (http://www.nyu.edu/global/global-academic-centers1/freshmen-abroad-programs/liberal-studies-freshmen-programs/freshmen-in-paris.html) (would I then be seen as a transfer applicant instead?), the Academy Year program at ECLA (http://www.ecla.de/academics/academy-year/), local work and volunteer experience, or an experience with an organization like Tostan (http://www.tostan.org/web/page/661/sectionid/549/parentid/565/pagelevel/3/interior.asp)? Thank you very much...
Reply 632
Hello KCL,
If I do not meet the 38 marks on IB needed for my conditional offer for War Studies and Philosophy, is it possible for me to reapply next year or would that be in vain as I did not meet the academic requirements previously? Would admissions look more favorably upon a freshman year in the Liberal Studies program at NYU, the Academy Year program at ECLA, local work and volunteer opportunities, or a year spent working for an organization like Tostan (women's center in Africa)? Thank you very much....
Dear KCL,

It's been a month now since I firmed my Unconditional offer for International Politics (UG), should I have received anything from King's? I have only received a post from UCAS showing my confirmed place at King's. Will King's send me any documents now (accommodation et al) ??
Original post by gainsbourg
Hello, KCL,

I'm currently doing my AS-levels, and interested in studying law at King's, I'm predicted four As this year, although I'm concerned that I may come out with AAAB; would those be acceptable results for applying to law, given how competitive it is? I know there are other factors that are taken into consideration, such as GCSE grades and the LNAT, but I want to know if I'm just kidding myself if I apply with less than AAAA....

Hi gainsbourg

Thanks for your message! The entry requirements for Law are A*AA plus 1 AS level. Usually admissions will make an offer based on your predicted grades for A2. So as long as your predicted grades for A2 match our requirements (and you meet the other requirements in your personal statement, LNAT etc) then you should be ok. For further information about entry requirements for Law visit http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/law/entryrequirements. Hope this helps! :smile:

Emma
Original post by emptyfield
Hi there,
I've got a conditional offer for philosophy (I need to pass my IELTS with a certain grade) but due to financial and family issues I think it would probably be better for me if I'd start on september 2013 instead of this one. do I have to ask them to defer my entry after matching all the criteria, in other words after passing my IELTS exam, or can I ask them now - and anyway pass my exam before the deadline (31/08/2012)?

Hi emptyfield

Thank you for your message. I have just checked with our admissions team and the answer is yes, it is possible for you to defer your entry now and pass your exam later on.

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Emma
Original post by onejpu2
Hello KCL,
If I do not meet the 38 marks on IB needed for my conditional offer for War Studies and Philosophy, is it possible for me to reapply next year or would that be in vain as I did not meet the academic requirements previously? Would admissions look more favorably upon a freshman year in the Liberal Studies program at NYU, the Academy Year program at ECLA, local work and volunteer opportunities, or a year spent working for an organization like Tostan (women's center in Africa)? Thank you very much....

Hi onejpu

Thanks for your message!

I have just spoken with our admissions team about this and yes it would be possible for you to reapply. They would look at your academic attainment in your first year at NYU (you would need to be achieving over an average of 70%).

Hope this helps! :smile:
Emma
Original post by usernamevoid
Dear KCL,

It's been a month now since I firmed my Unconditional offer for International Politics (UG), should I have received anything from King's? I have only received a post from UCAS showing my confirmed place at King's. Will King's send me any documents now (accommodation et al) ??

Hi usernamevoid

Thank you for your question! You should receive an offer holder pack from us in the post, which includes information about accommodation. If you haven’t received it yet, you can also download a PDF version from our offer holder website, or alternatively you can find out more information about applying for accommodation here: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/accom/applying/index.aspx

Emma
Hello

Due to my attending kcl last year and then dropping out, I have been told that i will get low priority for housing, which isn't good as i live overseas. I have been asked to write a statement explaining why I should get housing, but i just wanted to ask when i would find out what priority they were going to give me after submitting the statement? sorry if thats confusing :smile:
Hi,

I was wondering how much contact time and lab hours there are at kings for biomedical science.

Also if the kings course offers anatomy/dissections for biomed students or is this just medical students?

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest