The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King’s College London Open Week 12-16 March

Scroll to see replies

Hello,

Sorry for bothering you, but I was wondering if you could give me some advice.

I am currently finishing off my A level exams and I have accepted my offer to study War Studies for the coming year. However, I have decided that I want to take a year off so that I could intern at a local think-tank for work experience.

So I was wondering if you could advise me on how best to go about asking the university for a deferment, or if they would even allow me to defer.

I hope to hear from you soon.

P.S. Sorry for posting this on your profile page, I just found this page.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by asiansentinel
Hello,

Sorry for bothering you, but I was wondering if you could give me some advice.

I am currently finishing off my A level exams and I have accepted my offer to study War Studies for the coming year. However, I have decided that I want to take a year off so that I could intern at a local think-tank for work experience.

So I was wondering if you could advise me on how best to go about asking the university for a deferment, or if they would even allow me to defer.

I hope to hear from you soon.

P.S. Sorry for posting this on your profile page, I just found this page.

Hi asiansentinel,

Thanks for the message - its no bother, that's what we're here for!

Have you looked at the online prospectus re deferred entry? Take a look at this page, especially the third paragraph under the section 'Selection procedure': http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/applying/name/war-studies/alpha/W/header_search/

You will need to get in touch with the admissions team for War Studies to discuss your options I think, as I'm not sure of their procedure and they will be much better placed to answer your specific queries. You can contact them through the myApplication portal, or it might be worth giving them a call for a faster answer, try 020 7848 1403. They will be more than happy to help and offer advice.

I hope this helps,

Fran
Original post by King’s College London
Hi asiansentinel,

Thanks for the message - its no bother, that's what we're here for!

Have you looked at the online prospectus re deferred entry? Take a look at this page, especially the third paragraph under the section 'Selection procedure': http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/applying/name/war-studies/alpha/W/header_search/

You will need to get in touch with the admissions team for War Studies to discuss your options I think, as I'm not sure of their procedure and they will be much better placed to answer your specific queries. You can contact them through the myApplication portal, or it might be worth giving them a call for a faster answer, try 020 7848 1403. They will be more than happy to help and offer advice.

I hope this helps,

Fran

Thank you so much for the assistance Fran, I greatly appreciate it.
Original post by asiansentinel
Thank you so much for the assistance Fran, I greatly appreciate it.

No problem! Good luck with it all :smile:

Fran
Hello once again Fran,

When can we enrol for AKC (Associate of King's COllege) course? I really want to do it! Also, is it free? :tongue:
I was wondering if it was advisable to do some reading before September. If so is there a reading list? I'm doing international politics.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire C
Original post by usernamevoid
Hello once again Fran,

When can we enrol for AKC (Associate of King's COllege) course? I really want to do it! Also, is it free? :tongue:

Hi usernamevoid,

Glad to hear you're interested in the AKC! It really is unique, its the original qualification King's gave when it first opened! The course is free, last three years, is just one hour of lectures a week and starts in the first week of October. You will be able to register/enrol for it as soon as your online student record is set up (i.e. shortly after you register in late September)

You might be interested in watching the short film we recently produced about the AKC: http://youtu.be/Pn6o2GMhdw0

Hope this helps! :smile:

Fran
Original post by inadilemma
I was wondering if it was advisable to do some reading before September. If so is there a reading list? I'm doing international politics.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire C

Hi inadilemma

The International Politics programme is new so there won't be any pre-existing reading lists for this programme and they are probably just finalising it now.

However if you get in touch with the programme leader, Rod Dacombe, I'm sure he would be happy to send you some suggested titles for over the summer. He can be emailed on [email protected]

Hope this helps :smile:

Fran
Hi usernamevoid,

Glad to hear you're interested in the AKC! It really is unique, its the original qualification King's gave when it first opened! The course is free, last three years, is just one hour of lectures a week and starts in the first week of October. You will be able to register/enrol for it as soon as your online student record is set up (i.e. shortly after you register in late September)

You might be interested in watching the short film we recently produced about the AKC: http://youtu.be/Pn6o2GMhdw0

Fran

Watched it already :tongue: Thanks, I look forward to signing up for it. :biggrin:
Reply 789
Do you have any department specific brochures available to download to save looking through the entire prospectus each time I want to refer to it? I'm looking for a brochure for the history department but can't seem to find one. Thanks
Original post by Kieran?
Do you have any department specific brochures available to download to save looking through the entire prospectus each time I want to refer to it? I'm looking for a brochure for the history department but can't seem to find one. Thanks

Hi Kieran?

Thanks for getting in touch. You can download the history section of our prospectus here: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/ug/download/subjects.aspx Just click on History and then you will be able to download the PDF.

If you scroll to the bottom of the list there is a large blue box with 'School overview information' written on it. If you click that it takes you to a page where you can download a PDF with info on the School of Arts & Humanities, where the Department of History is based.

I hope this helps! :smile:

Fran
Reply 791
Hi,

For your Pharmacy course I've seen on the online prospectus saying the required grades are AAB at A-Level and a pass at an AS, I just wanted to ask if there is a specific grade needed for that AS pass? Thanks for answering my question, looking forward to your response.
Original post by Amz1217
Hi,

For your Pharmacy course I've seen on the online prospectus saying the required grades are AAB at A-Level and a pass at an AS, I just wanted to ask if there is a specific grade needed for that AS pass? Thanks for answering my question, looking forward to your response.

Hi Amz1217

Thanks for your question. I've just spoken to the Pharmacy admissions team about this and they have said that they do not require a specific grade at AS Level for this programme. The most important thing is that you meet the entry requirements for the A Levels. Obviously it will look good if you have done well at AS levels, but you just need to have a pass.

Fran
KCL rocks, it's my dream uni!!!!!
Anyways i actually came to ask a question
OK, I’m nearly finishing my GCSE and my grades......aren't the best compared to the people who are applying for dentistry, so after doing some research i heard of your enhanced support dentistry programme and I’m really interested but i don't really understand the entry requirements
OK, let’s just say I’m speaking hypothetically i get pretty low GCSEs but i excel my A-levels would i still get to be part of this programme or will i have to go in the ordinary 5 year course? Also do you accept GCSE re-sits? :colondollar:
Thanks in advance
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lil-mazie
KCL rocks, it's my dream uni!!!!!
Anyways i actually came to ask a question
OK, I’m nearly finishing my GCSE and my grades......aren't the best compared to the people who are applying for dentistry, so after doing some research i heard of your enhanced support dentistry programme and I’m really interested but i don't really understand the entry requirements
OK, let’s just say I’m speaking hypothetically i get pretty low GCSEs but i excel my A-levels would i still get to be part of this programme or will i have to go in the ordinary 5 year course? Also do you accept GCSE re-sits? :colondollar:
Thanks in advance

Hi lil-mazie

Thanks for your message. Can I just check whereabouts in the UK you are based? This is the first year of the Enhanced Support Dentistry Programme and to begin with it is going to be available to students who from non-selective states schools that we work with that are in the Greater London, Medway and Kent areas of the UK, but in due course it may be made open to applicants from outside of these regions. Therefore, if you are based outside of these areas, by the time you are applying for uni, this may be an option to you then.

In terms of your questions about entry requirements for this programme, we are basically looking for you to have met the entry requirements for A Level and AS Level, so GCSEs aren't quite so important, though we do request that you have at least a B in GCSE English Language and GCSE Maths, if you haven't taken them for A or AS Level. In terms of GCSE resits, this isn't necessarily counted against you, though you must meet the requirements for English Language and Maths as I said above.

If you want more information about the programme I would suggest that you contact the admissions team as they will be happy to help discuss your questions: [email protected] or 020 7848 6512.

I hope this helps!:smile:

Fran
Hi lil-mazie

Thanks for your message. Can I just check whereabouts in the UK you are based? This is the first year of the Enhanced Support Dentistry Programme and to begin with it is going to be available to students who from non-selective states schools that we work with that are in the Greater London, Medway and Kent areas of the UK, but in due course it may be made open to applicants from outside of these regions. Therefore, if you are based outside of these areas, by the time you are applying for uni, this may be an option to you then.

In terms of your questions about entry requirements for this programme, we are basically looking for you to have met the entry requirements for A Level and AS Level, so GCSEs aren't quite so important, though we do request that you have at least a B in GCSE English Language and GCSE Maths, if you haven't taken them for A or AS Level. In terms of GCSE resits, this isn't necessarily counted against you, though you must meet the requirements for English Language and Maths as I said above.

If you want more information about the programme I would suggest that you contact the admissions team as they will be happy to help discuss your questions: [email protected] or 020 7848 6512.

I hope this helps!:smile:

Fran

I go to a school in greater london, east london to be specific and this has cleared up any issues i had thank you very much Fran, i hope i can go to KCL in the future.:biggrin:
Original post by lil-mazie
I go to a school in greater london, east london to be specific and this has cleared up any issues i had thank you very much Fran, i hope i can go to KCL in the future.:biggrin:

I hope so too! Good luck with your studies!

Fran :smile:
Reply 797
Hi guys.

I would call the accommodation department but its the weekend and they are probably closed. But i was just having an issue when applying. When we apply for accommodation and choose intercollegiate halls, do we not get a preference of what type of room we want in it? As there are different critereas liek Flats and Studios and Ensuite etc.

There doesnt seem to be any help on the actual application page.

Thanks
Reply 798
Hi,

I have accepted my offer for the Law LLB course starting this September but I have been having second thoughts! I was hoping to apply for Law with European Legal Studies at the end of my first year for a year abroad but recently I have been doing well in French and am predicted to do rather well in it. I don't want to lose the language and I now feel capable of studying abroad in French for 2 years. I would also love to learn the law of another jurisdiction. Is there any way that KCL would allow me to change my course to English Law and French Law (M121)? Would I have to wait until results day?

Thank you in advance!

Olivia :smile:
Reply 799
Hi King's,

When will international students receive their CAS numbers? It has been more than a month since I firmed King's for Law, but I have yet to receive my CAS. I would like to apply for my visa as soon as possible.

Thanks for your time!

Quick Reply

Latest