The Student Room Group

Anyone else have 0 faith in the exam system?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by james22
While the exam system may not be great, from what I'm reading it does just sound like people are blaming all their exam problems on markers and "unfair" exams.Have you considered that it may actually have been you that was the problem?

How is it our fault when remarks give us many more marks than when they were first marked? I went from a C to a B in GCSE Eng Lit through 6 marks, and someone else in this topic had the same thing, but 12 marks!
Original post by GreenLantern1
Don't worry I do sciences and i positively repped you, since I totally agree. I do 4 sciences and an essay based subject; and I have definitely noticed that it is only the essay based subjects that I received unexpected results; so I do feel for you guys.

Yup. I have four essay subjects so my uni place is in the balance entirely!
anybody know how much its costs to get your paper remarked? and how long you have to request it?
Original post by Miracle Day
Anyone else think we as a Forum have the power to make a difference?

I think the power is there. You can't just go straight into a mass movement, it needs a beginning and organsing.

I do essay based subjects, and sciences, and marking is as wierd in both (essys subjective, and science way too specific)
Original post by Alexandra's Box
I agree. It's so unfair that two similar students could end up with an A or a C depending on who marks it!
The variation between the difficulty, from what I've heard, of A-levels on different exam boards is sometimes quite wide (Chemistry has been mentioned) - and do employers or universities take this into account? Is AQA better than OCR for their degree because it uses different skills? WTF?
And I DEFINITELY agree with the time. Someone writing a professional essay that is reliable and intelligent will not have 2 hours or less to do it in. They will have many more sources and will not be under so much pressure (and they could have snack breaks if they need it!) :tongue:

Totally agreed, especially on this point!!!!!

My friend(the same one who got all A grades without much work) also memorised a whole essay book written in HIS language and just wrote them in English for exams :colonhash: Now that's a smart idea and good use of knowing two languages :rolleyes: Memorisation was his only skill, apart from arithmetic, and he used them well.
Original post by Pandabär
Ever since Edexcel lost my foreign language oral exam recordings for GCSE, I lost faith in them. Especially as their answer was: 'Oh...um...yeah, we lost your work, so your teacher will just guess your grades...'

Really :eek:

I'd heard that they are drunkards but I didn't believe it at ALL and laughed it out. Things people say :rolleyes:
God, I'm doing Edexcel and you here, just made me paranoid!
Original post by Zoya Khan
Really :eek:

I'd heard that they are drunkards but I didn't believe it at ALL and laughed it out. Things people say :rolleyes:
God, I'm doing Edexcel and you here, just made me paranoid!

Yeah, this was 5 years ago though. Someone lost the cassette (lol) recordings, so just created our marks up from what our previous exam marks were, and what our teachers thought we should get. Good if the teacher liked you, not so much if she didn't.

*sigh* Edexcel.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 127
Original post by NatashaLee
anybody know how much its costs to get your paper remarked? and how long you have to request it?

It varies depending on the exam/board. When I check my Law Unit 3 I got told £45 for the remark + £9/10 for a copy of my exam... I know that's the one you did as well, so expect around that.

The other thing that I forgot to add earlier, was how little time everyone gets to pay for these extortionate resits/remarks. We get our results on the 8th, then they expect us to pay with less than a week :confused: Then after that the prices double so it costs even worse amount, such as around £40-45 pound for a resit... How can they seriously spend weeks marking our exams to what is really a poor standard, then by the time we actually get them back, have days to sort anything out?
Last year I revised and spend all my time doing Chemistry and got a U. This year I resat the exam and due to the other A2 exams I was doing, I was unable to revise and was going to miss the exam but after my teacher caught me on the corridor, there was no escaping...I got my result back and got a C??
Original post by _AH
It varies depending on the exam/board. When I check my Law Unit 3 I got told £45 for the remark + £9/10 for a copy of my exam... I know that's the one you did as well, so expect around that.

The other thing that I forgot to add earlier, was how little time everyone gets to pay for these extortionate resits/remarks. We get our results on the 8th, then they expect us to pay with less than a week :confused: Then after that the prices double so it costs even worse amount, such as around £40-45 pound for a resit... How can they seriously spend weeks marking our exams to what is really a poor standard, then by the time we actually get them back, have days to sort anything out?

thanks for the help :smile:
my teacher said to get the paper back its £11.90
but i really hope it comes back and she puts it in for a remark (even if i have to pay)
shes very cautious, she dosent want to send any for remarks incase they go down.
Sorry for party rocking!
I've spent about...£81 on resits and getting papers back this year? It's ok if your parents or you can afford it, but not so if you come from quite a poor background where you struggle doing well and feel like you can't really resit because you can't afford it. I was going to say people should be entitled to 1 free re-sit, but then saying that, paying for resits should encourage people to do well on their first sitting.
It's very unfair, particularly for more subjective essay-based subjects.

My friend's sister got a C back when she did sociology A-level....so she got it remarked. And got an A.
Exam boards 2012, let's make them famous.
Original post by Zoya Khan
Totally agreed, especially on this point!!!!!

My friend(the same one who got all A grades without much work) also memorised a whole essay book written in HIS language and just wrote them in English for exams :colonhash: Now that's a smart idea and good use of knowing two languages :rolleyes: Memorisation was his only skill, apart from arithmetic, and he used them well.

I wish I knew another language :frown:
Congrats to him for his idea...
Original post by Agenda Suicide
This really isn't the case.

There are exhaustive lists, and believe me, you can't just common sense your way through....

On that note, getting your paper back with the marks shouldn't cost anything at all, I understand remarks, but scanning your marked paper and sending it back?

I also revised crazily for an exam, got a C, resat it for the second time in January without looking at any books or anything at all and got an A.

It really isn't what you know it's how you apply it and use technique, it's a joke.

Your last point is actually a contradiction of the entire argument though ' if it was purely knowledge based then it would benefit those who just learn the syllabus and don't really understand it and cannot apply it, the most annoying thing I think is when someone stupid simply learns the textbook and gets an A.

The system of examination is correct but the way its carried out is very poor
A friend of mine got an unexpected D in a biology A2 exam, asked for the photocopy, counted up the marks and found he had an A! They had forgotten to count all the marks on the last page!

I dread to think how many people this happens to who don't then have the money to spare to go around asking for photocopies.

But for those that are complaining that the exam system just rewards memorization... you should see just how bad exam systems in other countries are. We have it great by comparison.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hardleyouth
You see, that's what I thought, but it has to be the WHOLE AS grade not just the unit grade APPARENTLY. Those ********s, if the marks move significantly at all they've clearly not done their job properly and therefore I should be entitled to a ****ing refund!! :angry:

And to everyone, remember all the online marking errors a year or two ago? So last year they marked them supposedly all in person and by hand...right? But now they've just returned to online marking so what was the ****ting point?!

OFQUAL do NOTHING. NOTHING ever CHANGES!

That's really quite cheeky of them :sigh:
Reply 138
Original post by nexttime
A friend of mine got an unexpected D in a biology A2 exam, asked for the photocopy, counted up the marks and found he had an A! They had forgotten to count all the marks on the last page!

I dread to think how many people this happens to who don't then have the money to spare to go around asking for photocopies.

But for those that are complaining that the exam system just rewards memorization... you should see just how bad exam systems in other countries are. We have it great by comparison.

Did his grade go up?
Reply 139
Is it possible to get a remark, wait for the remark to come back, and then decide whether it is worth resitting with your new mark, or would you have to have paid for the resit by then because there is a deadline?

Quick Reply

Latest