The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Becca-Sarah
Not at all. I fail to see how this is an important issue in the midst of economic recession where entire countries are financially collapsing, unemployment is high, and then you get doctors saying that £68k isn't a big enough pension?! The public are never going to support this.

We're not saying that £68k isn't a big enough pension (and it's worth pointing out that not that many people will actually receive that much). We're saying that we're fed up with being trampled over. Doctors have been shafted for years, from the horrific hours of pre-EWTD hospital work, via the MTAS debacle, the removal of free accommodation for F1s (effectively a 30-40% paycut), the Health and Social Care Bill where our concerns have been totally ignored, the systematic belittling of our profession by politicians and the media for years...and now this. We are fed up that a pensions deal which has been renegotiated multiple times (and apparently, though I wasn't working at the time, they were told in 2008 that there would be "no more changes"), which is self-sustaining and a net contributor to the economy, which, although generous compared with the private sector is less than that of the civil service and other equivalently paid/skilled public sector jobs, has now been altered and dictated to us, with no negotiation or options for compromise. A lot of people will lose out on a lot of money, and the idea of having to work until 68 in order to get your full pension entitlement is frankly dangerous. Just wait until a patient dies because a 67 year old doctor couldn't save them/made a mistake - but it will all be blamed on them, and not the government that forced them to work till that age.

To be honest, I don't know for sure why we have finally decided to strike over this and not any of the disasters that have gone before, and I think it would have been better to ballot and strike with all the other unions back in November, but I think it's totally right to make a stand and point out to the government that we're fed up of being treated like crap, and want to be treated like the professionals that we are.

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1981
Original post by Helenia
We're not saying that £68k isn't a big enough pension (and it's worth pointing out that not that many people will actually receive that much). We're saying that they're fed up with being trampled over. Doctors have been shafted for years, from the horrific hours of pre-EWTD hospital work, via the MTAS debacle, the removal of free accommodation for F1s (effectively a 30-40% paycut), the Health and Social Care Bill where our concerns have been totally ignored, the systematic belittling of our profession by politicians and the media for years...and now this. We are fed up that a pensions deal which has been renegotiated multiple times (and apparently, though I wasn't working at the time, they were told in 2008 that there would be "no more changes"), which is self-sustaining and a net contributor to the economy, which, although generous compared with the private sector is less than that of the civil service and other equivalently paid/skilled public sector jobs, has now been altered and dictated to us, with no negotiation or options for compromise. A lot of people will lose out on a lot of money, and the idea of having to work until 68 in order to get your full pension entitlement is frankly dangerous. Just wait until a patient dies because a 67 year old doctor couldn't save them/made a mistake - but it will all be blamed on them, and not the government that forced them to work till that age.

To be honest, I don't know for sure why we have finally decided to strike over this and not any of the disasters that have gone before, and I think it would have been better to ballot and strike with all the other unions back in November, but I think it's totally right to make a stand and point out to the government that we're fed up of being treated like crap, and want to be treated like the professionals that we are.

I think its time for medics to be respected for all the hard work that goes into treating patients (who quite often don't do very much to help themselves!) every day. I was just having a wee look at the major news websites and all the comments and the general view is that doctors are useless. It would be lovely to say 'You think doctors are money scrounging b'tards? Well don't come to us...see how you get on.'
Original post by Helenia
We're not saying that £68k isn't a big enough pension (and it's worth pointing out that not that many people will actually receive that much). We're saying that we're fed up with being trampled over. Doctors have been shafted for years, from the horrific hours of pre-EWTD hospital work, via the MTAS debacle, the removal of free accommodation for F1s (effectively a 30-40% paycut), the Health and Social Care Bill where our concerns have been totally ignored, the systematic belittling of our profession by politicians and the media for years...and now this. We are fed up that a pensions deal which has been renegotiated multiple times (and apparently, though I wasn't working at the time, they were told in 2008 that there would be "no more changes"), which is self-sustaining and a net contributor to the economy, which, although generous compared with the private sector is less than that of the civil service and other equivalently paid/skilled public sector jobs, has now been altered and dictated to us, with no negotiation or options for compromise. A lot of people will lose out on a lot of money, and the idea of having to work until 68 in order to get your full pension entitlement is frankly dangerous. Just wait until a patient dies because a 67 year old doctor couldn't save them/made a mistake - but it will all be blamed on them, and not the government that forced them to work till that age.

I can get on board with all that. Not sure it's coming across that way in the media (shock horror) though.

Just not convinced this is a great idea. It's antagonising a public body that already has a certain level of resentment towards doctors, and for what? It seems to me that it'll probably achieve nil.
So, on call with cardiothoracics and a guy ended up getting his chest opened up in the cath labs. Surely not a common experience, crazy stuff.
Reply 1984
Original post by Mushi_master
So, on call with cardiothoracics and a guy ended up getting his chest opened up in the cath labs. Surely not a common experience, crazy stuff.

Lol. That sounds pretty cool, cardiothoracic surgeons have amazing jobs and I wish that I could be one but that type of surgery to way too hardcore for me.
Original post by -steph-
Lol. That sounds pretty cool, cardiothoracic surgeons have amazing jobs and I wish that I could be one but that type of surgery to way too hardcore for me.

It was crazy. Poor patient didn't make it though.
Reply 1986

nope not common at all! I don't think I've ever seen a chest being opened up :s, went to bedside teaching today and suddenly was being taught how to put in an ascitic drain...was like 'whaaaaat?':colondollar:
Original post by Helenia

I think they didn't ballot over the reforms in Nov because they had no legal standpoint. I'm just glad you and all the other doctors have voted for this action, and that the BMA is finally going against the government rather than letting another issue slide.

Not common, but not unheard of. It doesn't often end well.
Original post by Helenia
Not common, but not unheard of. It doesn't often end well.

This is what I was thinking. Pretty dramatic stuff though, so many people crowding the place.
Original post by SMed

Because of you I'm eating peanut M&Ms

The limited edition blue red and white ones :eating:
Original post by Helenia
We're not saying that £68k isn't a big enough pension (and it's worth pointing out that not that many people will actually receive that much). We're saying that we're fed up with being trampled

I'm not disagreeing that doctors have every right to be pissed off with how successive governments have treated them, but it's badly timed and it's the wrong issue to be making a stand over.
Reply 1992
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I'm not disagreeing that doctors have every right to be pissed off with how successive governments have treated them, but it's badly timed and it's the wrong issue to be making a stand over.

It's never going to be a good time for Doctors to strike.
I think the strike is going to be an absolute disaster in terms of public opinion. I understand that this may be the final straw in a long list of problems thrown at doctors by the government, and that there may be many good reasons why a cut to doctors pensions may not be justified. However, they have absolutely picked the wrong issue to complain about in a recession. If anything I think highlighting how much consultants/GPs earn at the moment will make people even more angry, not sympathetic. I think we will get very little public support.
Original post by mrs_bellamy
I think the strike is going to be an absolute disaster in terms of public opinion. I understand that this may be the final straw in a long list of problems thrown at doctors by the government, and that there may be many good reasons why a cut to doctors pensions may not be justified. However, they have absolutely picked the wrong issue to complain about in a recession. If anything I think highlighting how much consultants/GPs earn at the moment will make people even more angry, not sympathetic. I think we will get very little public support.

It's only going to be a disaster if we let the public believe all the abusive propaganda the government is trying to throw about this. If we get some sensible accurate information out there, we stand a chance of being understood. You'll never get full public support over a strike, but giving up on it at this stage is a bit defeatist.
Original post by Helenia
It's only going to be a disaster if we let the public believe all the abusive propaganda the government is trying to throw about this. If we get some sensible accurate information out there, we stand a chance of being understood. You'll never get full public support over a strike, but giving up on it at this stage is a bit defeatist.

Do you know if there are plans to get sensible, accurate information out there?

I feel uncomfortable knowing that The Sun is Britain's most read paper (and others like The Daily Mail can't be far behind) and I doubt that's (or many others are) going to portray things in a sensible, accurate and balanced way. Further public animosity seems almost certain from where I'm sitting.
Original post by Helenia

Even if the information given to the public is accurate, I don't think that will help. The fact that doctors already earn so much more than the average, and that cuts are being made which effect some of the poorest people, however unfair the changes to the doctors pension scheme may be, I don't think anyone will really care. So many people are getting messed around and unfairly treated at the moment I think doctors are one of the last groups of people the public will be concerned about. We would have been far more likely to get public support for almost any of the issues you listed in your other post that have messed doctors around over the last few years. I not against the idea of doctors striking, but I think this is the wrong issue and the wrong time.
Anyone know what they are going to be doing during the strike? Would feel wrong to go in seeing as they are basically striking on our behalf.

Although if they wanted to use the extra free time to teach... :biggrin:
So its finals tomorrow - ****E!!
Original post by Kinkerz
Do you know if there are plans to get sensible, accurate information out there?

I feel uncomfortable knowing that The Sun is Britain's most read paper (and others like The Daily Mail can't be far behind) and I doubt that's (or many others are) going to portray things in a sensible, accurate and balanced way. Further public animosity seems almost certain from where I'm sitting.

I don't know but I really hope so. Though actually the article in the Mail I read yesterday was surprisingly balanced, and all the top rated comments were in our favour.

Latest

Trending

Trending