The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone have access to this by any chance?

http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/18/5/1214.long
Being ill + trying to go on placements + studying = just feel tired and awful and achieve little :frown:
Original post by rumandraisin
Does anyone have access to this by any chance?

http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/18/5/1214.long

Yup - attached.
Reply 283
Medicine Man
Hallo.

On your iBSc have you guys looked much at the evidence for/against PBL?

Edit:
I've just been reading this and some other bits and bats (meta-analyses and the like). I'm starting to become more interested in what the evidence is like. Is it of a high quality? When they say things like 'better clinical reasoning', etc., how are they measuring it and what are they measuring? Another seemingly woolly one is 'knowledge retention' (you don't have to answer these, I'm just typing my thoughts). I guess I need to read this stuff for myself (and I will at some point), but I was curious as to your opinion and whether you could suggest any good resources (preferably balanced and not gung ho pro-PBL like everything in medical education seems to be).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Yup - attached.

Ah brilliant thank you!
Original post by rumandraisin
Ah brilliant thank you!

No worries, I loved the name of it :awesome:
Original post by Becca-Sarah
No worries, I loved the name of it :awesome:

Ha yeh pretty unique isn't it
Reply 287
SO it looks like reference manager has ****ed the reference list for my dissertation - which means I might well have to go in manually and make one. Tis going to be a very long night, FML.
Original post by Kinkerz
On your iBSc have you guys looked much at the evidence for/against PBL?

Edit:
I've just been reading this and some other bits and bats (meta-analyses and the like). I'm starting to become more interested in what the evidence is like. Is it of a high quality? When they say things like 'better clinical reasoning', etc., how are they measuring it and what are they measuring? Another seemingly woolly one is 'knowledge retention' (you don't have to answer these, I'm just typing my thoughts). I guess I need to read this stuff for myself (and I will at some point), but I was curious as to your opinion and whether you could suggest any good resources (preferably balanced and not gung ho pro-PBL like everything in medical education seems to be).

We did spend a fair bit looking at the pros and cons of implementing PBL in medical education in the first term (50% of which I have forgotten tbh). The problem with PBL is that people have very strong views about its "effectiveness" and this is the case even in the literature. There are die hard researches like Schmidt who are in favour of PBL. He wrote an awesome paper in 1993 on the educational theory behind it (see attached). There are also people like Colliver, who think PBL is a pile of crap and in the early 2000s (I think), published a paper and just tore Schmidt's paper apart (I can't seem to find a link for this paper). Sweller, in the 90's, also wrote a paper on cognitive load theory and how that basically screws up the theory behind PBL, but that goes into a fair bit of detail. You are right though in that most of the research re PBL tends to be for it, but there are still a few others who think that its either to early to call the "better" or more "effective" one, or that traditional courses are better (though many studies on the latter case tend to be based in Australia or the US).

If I'm being totally honest and neutral, the theory behind most of medical education is relatively weak in general as its only just fully branched out from Education. Hardcore educationalists don't like Medical Educationalists because they haven't been around for as long as the educationalists have and they say that medical educationalist theory is much thinner than theirs. Fair point to be honest, as most of the theory in Medical Education is literally just taken from Education and applied to medicine (research into Medical Education only really kicked off in the 70's).

This is why when someone says X is better than Y because it produces doctors with "better clinical reasoning", you really need to think about what it is they are using to measure this - most of the time, its the results of some random test students sit, or the number of clinical errors they recorded in a diary or something random like that. It's very hard to quantify anything related to education because there a ridiculous amount of social, psychological, biological etc. factors that affect one's education so its very hard to see the effect of one thing on another in education and quantify it (hence the many qualitative papers in the literature). There are some good quality quantitative papers of education (and medical education) out there, but there are always major assumptions I think that they have made.

Spoiler

Reply 289
Look at the 'Point of Pride' tab on this.

Quite literally, that SSC has been the single largest waste of time I've had at medical school. To give perspective: for the last few years we've had a bioethics exchange programme with Yale, we have a very well respected arthritis and primary care research centre, and so on. But what they choose to be the point of pride is a 24 hour placement over 8 weeks with a community organisation (where students get less than ideal choice in organisation) that doesn't really have any use for untrained 20 year olds and is resented by the majority of the cohort.

Basically says it all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 290
Original post by Medicine Man
We did spend a fair bit looking at the pros and cons of implementing PBL in medical education in the first term (50% of which I have forgotten tbh). The problem with PBL is that people have very strong views about its "effectiveness" and this is the case even in the literature. There are die hard researches like Schmidt who are in favour of PBL. He wrote an awesome paper in 1993 on the educational theory behind it (see attached). There are also people like Colliver, who think PBL is a pile of crap and in the early 2000s (I think), published a paper and just tore Schmidt's paper apart (I can't seem to find a link for this paper). Sweller, in the 90's, also wrote a paper on cognitive load theory and how that basically screws up the theory behind PBL, but that goes into a fair bit of detail. You are right though in that most of the research re PBL tends to be for it, but there are still a few others who think that its either to early to call the "better" or more "effective" one, or that traditional courses are better (though many studies on the latter case tend to be based in Australia or the US).

If I'm being totally honest and neutral, the theory behind most of medical education is relatively weak in general as its only just fully branched out from Education. Hardcore educationalists don't like Medical Educationalists because they haven't been around for as long as the educationalists have and they say that medical educationalist theory is much thinner than theirs. Fair point to be honest, as most of the theory in Medical Education is literally just taken from Education and applied to medicine (research into Medical Education only really kicked off in the 70's).

This is why when someone says X is better than Y because it produces doctors with "better clinical reasoning", you really need to think about what it is they are using to measure this - most of the time, its the results of some random test students sit, or the number of clinical errors they recorded in a diary or something random like that. It's very hard to quantify anything related to education because there a ridiculous amount of social, psychological, biological etc. factors that affect one's education so its very hard to see the effect of one thing on another in education and quantify it (hence the many qualitative papers in the literature). There are some good quality quantitative papers of education (and medical education) out there, but there are always major assumptions I think that they have made.

Spoiler

This is all good stuff. Thanks!
Ugh, OSCE revision can do one.
Original post by Mushi_master
Ugh, OSCE revision can do one.

OSCE already? You have it early this year or something?
Original post by RollerBall

Nah, it's 'part A1' and just based on rotations 1 and 2. Part A2 (path and therapeutics and rotation 3) are just after our summer exams at the end of July.

If we bugger up we have to do 'part B', which is of all the above.

It was called ICE last year which you may have heard of.
Original post by RollerBall

I had my first OSCE of the year in December :dontknow: And then had my second (of four) on Monday.
Ah, we only have end of year OSCE here.
Original post by Medicine Man

Spoiler

So...basically, medical schools implemented PBL based on conflicting evidence and a lot of 'theory' and used medical students as guinea pigs. What's new.
Reply 298
Original post by digitalis
So...basically, medical schools implemented PBL based on conflicting evidence and a lot of 'theory' and used medical students as guinea pigs. What's new.

Not just that. They fundamentally changed the way we train doctors (a way that's been working pretty well for centuries) based on what seems horribly like a whimsical rush of blood. It's, frankly, alarming.

They saw a problem with the hardcore traditional course. I get that. But the solution isn't to go gung ho in the opposite direction and make the course just as problematic as before (arguably more), just in a different way. What's wrong with a nice, balanced course like Newcastle?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 299
Original post by Kinkerz
What's wrong with a nice, balanced course like Newcastle?

Maybe they are not happy with a balanced approach being a remedy for the problems of a traditional course?

Latest

Trending

Trending