The Student Room Group

What the hell is wrong with kids these days?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Space'n'Time
This^^^

Why thank you :smile:

Sometimes I swear I feel like I'm the only one in our generation who notices these things so it's nice to see that other people agree with me lol it restores my faith in humanity somewhat :smile:
[video="youtube;Xe1a1wHxTyo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo[/video]
Reply 42
i thought everyone was awesome when i first moved to the UK. I lived in Nigeria, went to school for 12 hours a day, had an old school phone, didn't know what an ipod or iphone was, we had the first playstation with the catridges, my cousins walkman was the greatest thing ever! i used to even play cinderella story(the movie) on it! i couldn't use a computer, we had a satellite dish that got us a couple of foreign channels but things like disney cost too much so we watched style network and geographic channel. This was all 3-4 years ago, i was 15 and in 5th year/year 11-12, first time i heard about facebook was in 2008, first time i saw facebook was in 2009. I used to spend hours reading Enid blyton books in the library at school, totally amazed by the sheer number of books they had in school.

Sometimes i wish i grew up with all these cool stuff, i still haven't gotten used to my xbox and i still don't understand the concept of the ipod talk less of the ipad. As much as i hate to admit it, i don't mind the younger generation,they're privileged :redface:
Reply 43
Original post by crocker710
[video="youtube;Xe1a1wHxTyo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo[/video]

lmao
I'll be sure to keep my kids under Patrick Star's rock :wink:
What REALLY concerns me is that software and technology is getting so advanced in schools, im pretty convinced a computer will be teaching the children of the future in the next 10 years or so.
Kids just need to be put back in line. These days a parent who raises a hand against their child can expect to get arrested by the cops. Kids need to get the crap beaten out of them before they understand what is right or wrong.
Original post by Norton1
Still have my WALKMAN. Walking about with my tapes, I was the bomb.

The bomb? No, no, no. You were da bomb :yep:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
You cannot tar ALL young people with the same brush. Yes, some may have poor manners act spoilt etc etc, but there are some out there who have decent courtesy and manners, and are happy with what they have. It must also be added that the Media are 75% to blame for this. I mean when I was young the 12A never existed - if you weren't 12, you WEREN'T going to get through the cinema doors for the film, but now its saying "couldnt care less". Also the majority of press about youths is negative - barely any of the youths who do good things get any attention - is it any wonder that they feel ignored, angry etc to the point where they conform to the stereotype that the media have created?? There's barely anything for them now - CiTV got removed from ITV, BBC took away their CBBC breakfast. Instead they are using shows like Hollyoaks to educate them at such an early age - has there ever been an episode where there has been no couple? Or no brats. However, I also blame parenting. Parents who give into their child's demands are the ones who are to blame too

This.

Okay, I do agree with OP too, but all this has happened because of how the world changed and how the parents changed too, which in turn affected the children.
We had different pass times in our times, although there were bullies and brats and all, and I seriously cannot compare whether our times were more enjoyable or if these are. It was more adventurous and we had the spirit of childhood. We used to use our imagination to conjure up so much, and now, the electronics do it for us. If parents let the kids get carried away with babysitters like the tv, phone or computer, this is expected of them. It's okay to have all the electronics and some fun and be naughty but they should know the consequences, limits and their priorities as well.
Family times are needed. People don't even have meals together so how can they expect those children to develop their values? I'm not talking about the 'spare the rod and spoil the child' way of upbringing, but parents about two decades ago did a lot more to teach children manners, family values and discipline. The love is always there but nowadays, everyone is too busy with his or her own life and begin getting concerned when it's too late.
When I was your age you would have been in year 6 and believe me I was saying the same things about you guys. Eventually you realise that's just what kids are like.
Reply 50
Original post by Norton1
MP3, MP3??? Your generation don't know you're born. Mini-disc player chummy. Mini disc.

I remember those! :woo: I think I might still have some somewhere...

Original post by NYprincessmaddie
Nah, its all about the WALKMAN.

Most played cassette on my walkman: Witch Doctor! I used to love that song....
And now I'm sad. Too much nostalgia. :sad:

Anyway, as for the OP. I spend half of my week around 16 year olds. I'm only 20 but I swear there is a generation gap between us. As for younger kids, they are shocking. (And I give up with this reply as I need sleep)
Reply 51
Original post by Bellissima
OMG i had totally forgotten about ace lightening!!!! i loved that show!!

I loved it hajha
Reply 52
Original post by insignificant
It really makes me wonder what I would do if my kid wanted an iPhone, and every other parent had given their kids iPhones.. but I didn't want mine to have one because what the hell do they need one for? But what would you give them instead.. an old nokia? Would they get bullied? Theres no alternative, they're all smart phones with access to the internet and a billion apps.. what are you supposed to do?

Wack them over the head with the sturdy old nokia.
Reply 53

Spoiler

What do you expect when people look to people like ^^^ as idols.
Reply 54
Does anyone else remember the blackboard? :tongue: Those were the days...
Reply 55
Original post by Miracle Day
I swear there's been a drastic change in kids ever since our generation (around year 12) grew up.

Firstly, I tutor 3 year 8's with reading every Tuesday. They're such outspoken brats, cheeky little.. when I was that age I looked up to the elder students with respect and awe. And I swear, they're all spoiled with Iphones etc.. when I was that age I'd be lucky to get an MP3. I wouldn't dare go near the back of the bus, but now we're crowded by them!

Secondly the tv shows kids watch.. WTF is that crap? The Big Time Rush show? Wizards of Waverley Place? I'll take CBBC's Shoebox Zoo, Ace Lightning or CITV's Angela saying "Next is Digimon!". Don't even get me started on Tracey Beaker..

Then how naughty they are. I did work experience in the old school, only to find a park, a wooden fun reserve, football shooters, every colour you could think of. When I was in school all you saw was grey concrite, if we were lucky in the Summer we'd get chalk to draw on the concrite. We'd roleplay Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh and Lilp and Stitch, and play "Mob tag" and have a blast! During that week I broke up four fights, got questioned by a year five on my sex life, and came across a year 4 who thought she could bite me and laugh it off.. (She mever got to go swimming hehe)..The dinner lady I spoke to actually said the kids were way naughtier than us!

Lastly and worst of all, a year 7 on my bus has lost her virginity.. Is that even possible? I'd only just had my first kiss at that age! And those damn year 7 guys on the back of the bus talking about their girlfriends 24/7 .. you haven't even hit puberty! At that age I was collecting Doctor Who adventures and Jackie Chan cartoon trading cards!

Are kids growing up too fast?

World's f*****g up.

Put it that way abruptly :3
I agree kids are growing up way too quickly these days and it's a shame because they're missing out on childhood. And when you get older, childhood is the very thing you want back so it's something to cherish not try to hide. The worrying thing is that these kids in year 7 probably haven't grown up that much emotionally - it might seem like it, with having girlfriends and being a bit more confident, but you could easily break that barrier and underneath they're still children. They're not mature enough to handle a relationship, for example, (hell, I doubt they're even mature enough to actually really 'love' someone) and I doubt any normal 10/11 year old will ever be.

That said, I did have a mobile phone when I started in year 7 (Motorola V300!) - in fact, I was one of the last to get one. I don't think that's such a bad thing when you move onto secondary school. I'd like to think that if I have my own children, I'll try to prevent them from growing up so quickly - i.e. not letting them have a mobile phone until they actually 'need' one, trying to get them to wear clothes that suit their age and generally let them know that it's not essentially to lose your virginity before you start your GCSEs. But the thing is, I can see that in 15/20 years time when I consider having children, the world will have moved on even more and kids will be growing up earlier than ever. If that's the case, then in my attempts to keep my child young I would be essentially alienating him/her from other children his/her age who are growing up faster. It's a tricky one.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by insignificant
It really makes me wonder what I would do if my kid wanted an iPhone, and every other parent had given their kids iPhones.. but I didn't want mine to have one because what the hell do they need one for? But what would you give them instead.. an old nokia? Would they get bullied? Theres no alternative, they're all smart phones with access to the internet and a billion apps.. what are you supposed to do?

I have an old nokia. :biggrin: When it came to getting a phone (when I was in year 11), and everybody was getting their blackberries and iphones I got a old nokia brick, sure I did get bullied about it for a while then people realised it really doesn't matter.
Saying that I did buy my sister an iPod touch and she is 13 so I feel I slightly spoil her.
Original post by Miracle Day

Are kids growing up too fast?
A 16 year old doing the 'kids these days!' routine? You're right, something has gone drastically wrong with society.
I'm 19 and my little brother is 10.

This Christmas he got an iPod touch and he recently got his ear pierced, all because his friends at school have them. I nearly raged at my Mum for caving in to the whole "but so and so has one, it's not fair!" skit.

I wasn't allowed a walkman until I was 13. :cry2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending