The Student Room Group

What the hell is wrong with kids these days?

Scroll to see replies

So it's the same all over the UK...my friends and I always talk about what cheeky little s***s the 1st years are, when I was a first year I was bloody terrified of 6th years!! And my little sisters year, the things she tells me about what her friends say...wow. And then I realise my year was the same, it's only now I realise how shocking it is to hear 11 year olds swearing like sailors, we thought it was so rebellious when we were 11. :lol:

And those TV shows...brilliant. Digimon. :love: :love: :love: When it stopped showing on my TV I was devastated, and Yu-Gi-Oh as well. Dr Who, I still watch that constantly, although series 6 has put me off somewhat, what did Moffat do?!
Reply 81
Things are very different to what they were when I was growing up thats for sure!.We didnt have the internet nor mobile phones.Game consoles were unheard of too, the closest we got to a home PC was a ZX 81!!.Kids these days seem a lot more advanced for their age than we were too, and sadly some ( although not all) seem a lot less intelligent too.Their behaviour is also different, its far more violent and there is a definite lack of respect for authority.

Times have definitely changed since I was a kid, maybe not always for the better.
(edited 12 years ago)
I blame the parents.
Reply 83
Original post by Ra Ra
Does anyone else remember the blackboard? :tongue: Those were the days...

Yes!!.I also remember some of my teachers throwing the board rubber across the classroom at some of the more rowdy boys!.Cant do that now....
I think the reason we feel so disillusioned with kids these days as we are born on the cusp of Generation Y: we are so close to them, yet so far...
Original post by brightonlad89
Year 7 in England is the equivalent of Year 8 Northern Ireland/Scotland (1st year High School).

Our numbering system is a year 'behind' because first year of primary school is called reception and not 'Primary One'.

But Scotland is different from Northern Ireland because they only do six years of high school?
It's so confusing. I did reception then P1-P7 at primary school,
then year 8 - year 14 at secondary school. 15 years in total. I was 19 when I started uni.

Anyway, back on topic, 11 year olds shouldn't be having sex. *shudder*
I blame the internet.

I remember when I was that age (year 6-7), the craziest thing me and my friends came across on the internet was a video of a cartoon granny singing 'Do you boobs hang low, do they wobble to and fro?'

But now, the kids are basically encountering the same stuff as adults do via social networking sites and youtube. It's sad. Such over exposure.
Reply 87
Original post by Miracle Day
I swear there's been a drastic change in kids ever since our generation (around year 12) grew up.

Firstly, I tutor 3 year 8's with reading every Tuesday. They're such outspoken brats, cheeky little.. when I was that age I looked up to the elder students with respect and awe. And I swear, they're all spoiled with Iphones etc.. when I was that age I'd be lucky to get an MP3. I wouldn't dare go near the back of the bus, but now we're crowded by them!

Secondly the tv shows kids watch.. WTF is that crap? The Big Time Rush show? Wizards of Waverley Place? I'll take CBBC's Shoebox Zoo, Ace Lightning or CITV's Angela saying "Next is Digimon!". Don't even get me started on the new Tracey Beaker..

Then how naughty they are. I did work experience in the old school, only to find a park, a wooden fun reserve, football shooters, every colour you could think of. When I was in school all you saw was grey concrite, if we were lucky in the Summer we'd get chalk to draw on the concrite. We'd roleplay Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh and Lilp and Stitch, and play "Mob tag" and have a blast! During that week I broke up four fights, got questioned by a year five on my sex life, and came across a year 4 who thought she could bite me and laugh it off.. (She mever got to go swimming hehe)..The dinner lady I spoke to actually said the kids were way naughtier than us!

Lastly and worst of all, a year 7 on my bus has lost her virginity.. Is that even possible? I'd only just had my first kiss at that age! And those damn year 7 guys on the back of the bus talking about their girlfriends 24/7 .. you haven't even hit puberty! At that age I was collecting Doctor Who adventures and Jackie Chan cartoon trading cards!

Are kids growing up too fast?

Maybe you tutor at a really bad and rough school who experienced poor parenting.
Original post by NYprincessmaddie
Im terrified about my daughter growing up with times like this if im honest. I might lock her in the cellar and home school her. :colone:

Your 22 and you have a child?! :wtf:
Original post by TheDizzeeKid
Your 22 and you have a child?! :wtf:

Yep. Problem?
Yep. Problem?

Are you married? If not then dat child is illegitimate...Not a good thing :pierre:
Reply 91
whilst im only in upper sixth i agree with you completely on this.
Reply 92
Original post by Popppppy
What age is year 7? Is it like p7, so 10/11? :eek:
Eleven to twelve.

Yeah, kids are given too much and get away with too much. When I was twelve, I had a Game Boy Advance (which I saved up for myself, took me a good few months), an archaic mobile phone which was ten years old then (and this is ten years ago) which my uncle passed down to me, and... well, nothing else. Well, I still had the Game Boy Color I got for my tenth birthday, but nothing expensive. As for discipline... if I spoke to my strangers on the street the way I get spoken to by kids these days, I'd've been belted.
Reply 93
Yep. Problem?

Original post by TheDizzeeKid
Are you married? If not then dat child is illegitimate...Not a good thing :pierre:

NYMaddiePrincess is clearly a troll account.
Although I agree with you, every generation says the same thing about the next. What's wrong with them, in my days we used to respect our elders more, etc, it's all been said before. Our grandparents probably think the same about us, and we'll think the same about our grandchildren.

But yeah, **** like Twilight, Justin Beiber, Hannah Montanna and Selena Gomez isn't helping.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tootles
Eleven to twelve.

Yeah, kids are given too much and get away with too much. When I was twelve, I had a Game Boy Advance (which I saved up for myself, took me a good few months), an archaic mobile phone which was ten years old then (and this is ten years ago) which my uncle passed down to me, and... well, nothing else. Well, I still had the Game Boy Color I got for my tenth birthday, but nothing expensive. As for discipline... if I spoke to my strangers on the street the way I get spoken to by kids these days, I'd've been belted.

Original post by yothi5
NYMaddiePrincess is clearly a troll account.

Is it? Because i'm pretty sure I was married before my husband was killed? But obviously some total stranger knows better than I do :rolleyes:
Grow up.
It saddens me that my 8 year old cousin likes to read Heat.

And why is every kids TV show a fricken low budget laughter canned sitcom?
I heard One Direction were to be featured on iCarly?! Why are studios shamelessly plugging celebrities in children TV shows?!

Recess! Fairy Odd Parents! Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends! That is where the magic is!

The only show that I honestly think is worth anyone's attention aimed at kids now is Phineas and Ferb.
Reply 98
Original post by yothi5
Maybe you tutor at a really bad and rough school who experienced poor parenting.

It's a band 1 (Top) School!
just think how the next generation will turn out with these for role model ergh :frown:
im only 14 myself but i hate how my friends/generation act it disgusts me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending