The Student Room Group

Why do i need experience for menial jobs?

Can the government do something about this? I cant even get a job at mcdonalds because they say the calibre of people applying is much higher than mine.

Scroll to see replies

The thing is, anyone can do a menial job which is why loads of people apply to do them. Competition is too high.
It can sometimes be a way to shortlist potential employees into ones which would benefit the company the most.
Reply 3
Original post by ednut
Can the government do something about this? I cant even get a job at mcdonalds because they say the calibre of people applying is much higher than mine.

Same everywhere. You just have to keep trying, apply for lots of jobs with 100% effort and eventually you'll get one. If you were offering a job and had 100 applicants, you'd also have to reluctantly turn down the other 99. It's a horrible fact - but the ones who keep trying, keep going, usually get there. If you can stand out in other ways - eg work experience or charity volunteering etc then you raise your chances. Or ring Personnel and ask if you can simply drop in for a chat - that way they'll remember you and think you're keen? They may say no but all you can do is try! Don't despair. Keep cheerful. Best of luck :wink:
Original post by ednut

Lol, if you get that kind of feedback from Mcdonalds of all places, then I expect you won't be doing much anytime soon. Try to get a (good) degree or something.
Reply 5
the beauty of having millions unemployed ... theres going to be far to many applicants over qualified for this kind of job who will shunt the usual calibre of the worker down in the pecking order.
whilst this is usually highly frowned upon id say a small bit of embelishing of your CV wouldnt go a miss, nothing that would be easily cought out but inventing a bit of work experience and the like usually doesnt hurt that much as you recieve training regardless :smile:
but as for your question regarding government intervention, no they cant im afriad. its at the disgression of the company who they employ and they will unilaterally pick the best they can for the job at hand.
No offence but if your attitude that the job is menial and beneath you, no wonder they didnt want to hire you. Experience and money is exactly that, people have to start somewhere and if its the bottom the only way is up.
Reply 7
vicious cycle, need experience to get a job, need a job to get experience...
Stay in school, kids.
Reply 9
Original post by darthgirlie
No offence but if your attitude that the job is menial and beneath you, no wonder they didnt want to hire you. Experience and money is exactly that, people have to start somewhere and if its the bottom the only way is up.

There is such a thing as a job that is clearly considered below your level of qualifications e.g. a graduate going for a job at McDonalds. I think that's all the OP meant.
Reply 10
I'd go for independent shops/cafés. In my (limited) experience, they're far more likely to give you a go. :smile:
Reply 11
A company will prefer someone who has experience compared to someone who doesn't, that's how employment works as they will need to train you less and you get to grips with your job quicker.

Also McDonald's usually say your "over-qualified" if you have a high level of qualifications i know a few people who have had that happen to them.
Reply 12
Regardless of the nature of the job, if your the employer with 50 applications who can only short-list 10, are you going to choose those with no experience? Its unfair, like a ladder with the bottom rungs missing, but it makes sense.
I've been rejected from tesco pizza hut McDonald's it's because of the economic climate they can afford to be picky.
Reply 14
Too many Polish people in the country, they hoover up all the job opportunities that 8+ years ago upwardly mobile graduates would be taking on their way up the jobs ladder. All that happens now... is that the first rung is occupied by cheap imported labour.
Reply 15
Original post by Gutsman
Too many Polish people in the country, they hoover up all the job opportunities that 8+ years ago upwardly mobile graduates would be taking on their way up the jobs ladder. All that happens now... is that the first rung is occupied by cheap imported labour.

I don't think that's true. There might be more competition for lower skilled jobs, and for jobs which require particular technical skills, but neither of these is relevant for 'upwardly mobile' graduates.
Original post by joebloggs89
There is such a thing as a job that is clearly considered below your level of qualifications e.g. a graduate going for a job at McDonalds. I think that's all the OP meant.

I understand what your saying and i completely agree but if a person applies at McDonald the presumption is that they want to work there. So therefore is contradictory and not very good for the team's well being to say its menial and be snobbish about it. The interpretation I got by the person who started the thread is they are looking for like their first job because surely a graduate is going to have transferable skills.
Seriously: everyone on this forum seems to be making the same mistakes.

I got rejected from Greggs/McDonalds/BandQ/Sainsburys/Wherever.

These places are the lazy people applications: you can submit a form online and hope for the best.

As someone already mentioned above, trawl the high street with your CV and put them into EVERYWHERE. Restaurants always have a lot of jobs going because of the instabiliy of shiftwork, and theres more than likely chance you'll be able to get a pot washing job if you have zero experience.

Anyway. I'm just saying that smaller places are often friendlier places to work. Only go for a job with a big company if youre actually looking for career progression in that store. Otherwise, they get millions of cvs and probably wont read yours.

Good luck with the hunt.
Original post by umop apisdn
The thing is, anyone can do a menial job which is why loads of people apply to do them. Competition is too high.

I agree.
There are loads of people applying for these jobs, which is why they can pick and choose who they want and are able to be picky and choose the best people.
Original post by A level Az
Lol, if you get that kind of feedback from Mcdonalds of all places, then I expect you won't be doing much anytime soon. Try to get a (good) degree or something.

Actually a friend of mine applied to mcdonalds (the one i work at when im not at my other job) and she got rejected, even though she already has a degree, does voluntary work etc.
Anyway, whats wrong with mcdonalds?!?!?!
It may seem like a lowest of the low, horrible job, but i think you will find the job is harder than it looks, and it actually isnt that bad. The pay isnt bad, the people i work with are great, there are lots of social events/outings paid for by the company, there are lots of training opportunities etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending