The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

What's it like living in Manchester?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Luxray
Politics eh? did a couple of modules in politics, enjoyed two of them, the other was ruined by a guy called Stuart Shields. Absolute idiot, has put me off doing a module in IPE next year because he's the lecturer.

Don't think I've come across him as yet, but one I've come across is called L'iam Shields - he seems to be a fairly young one, just starting to lecture (I hope this is where the problem lies), but jesus christ I swear his lectures contain more umming and ahing than actual content :s-smilie:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by victoryshinesonus
So you would not recommend Oak House for first year? If I put both Oak House and Whitworth Park for accommodation, which one am I likely to get given? Because you don't rank preferences do you? You just pick 3 you'd be happy to live in?

You do rank preferences; I put Oak House with Basin first, and Whitworth Park with basin second. I got Oak House, and yes I would recommend it (I think a lot of people live in City think that Fallowfield is further out than it really is in terms of time taken to travel - I know that was the case for some of next year's housemates, although we all agreed on the northern side of Fallowfield in the end, once they'd actually tested out the transport). It's only about 20 mins door-to-door by bus and 15 mins (including unlocking & locking) by bike.

I find Welsh Leprechaun's statement about Piccadilly Station not being within walking distance from WP, if they're also saying that the city centre is - Piccadilly Station is a 5 min walk from the Arndale Centre, and a 28 minute walk (according to google!) from Whitworth Park. Admittedly, however, you might be less keen on doing that with a 20kg backpack!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by Origami Bullets
Don't think I've come across him as yet, but one I've come across is called L'iam Shields - he seems to be a fairly young one, just starting to lecture (I hope this is where the problem lies), but jesus christ I swear his lectures contain more umming and ahing than actual content :s-smilie:

lol! the umming and ahing ones are the worst, at least Stuart did speak in his. But what he said was really of no use at all, it was as if he had looked at his own slides for the first time in the lecture theater. We had a guest lecturer once who was great but it made me think... I wish the guest never came because it showed us how rubbish Stuart is -.-
one time he ate a banana in a lecturer whilst speaking. I can only tell you that I wish the mic was off that day lol. I could write a list of things hes done but I shan't bore you :tongue:
You do rank preferences; I put Oak House with Basin first, and Whitworth Park with basin second. I got Oak House, and yes I would recommend it (I think a lot of people live in City think that Fallowfield is further out than it really is in terms of time taken to travel - I know that was the case for some of next year's housemates, although we all agreed on the northern side of Fallowfield in the end, once they'd actually tested out the transport). It's only about 20 mins door-to-door by bus and 15 mins (including unlocking & locking) by bike.

I find Welsh Leprechaun's statement about Piccadilly Station not being within walking distance from WP, if they're also saying that the city centre is - Piccadilly Station is a 5 min walk from the Arndale Centre, and a 28 minute walk (according to google!) from Whitworth Park. Admittedly, however, you might be less keen on doing that with a 20kg backpack!

That's what I meant, I figured most people going on a train would have bags with them
Anyone got info on study abroad?

There's an application process, you need to be getting a 60%+ average to be eligible, and different departments have different limitations on which unis you can study abroad at. They do info sessions in your first semester, so you can always find out more then. In the meantime, have you got any more specific questions that you'd like answered?

ellakrystina should know more though
Original post by ellakrystina
QFA :biggrin:
There's an application process, you need to be getting a 60%+ average to be eligible, and different departments have different limitations on which unis you can study abroad at. They do info sessions in your first semester, so you can always find out more then. In the meantime, have you got any more specific questions that you'd like answered?

ellakrystina should know more though

Is 60% pretty tough?
Is 60% pretty tough?

It depends on
- how much work you put in
- how good you are at your subject
- what subject you're doing - it's a lot easier to get extremely high percentage grades in science-based subjects, whereas in essay subjects almost no one will get more than about 75%

At the end of the day, 60% is the lower limit for a 2:i, so it should be entirely achievable - almost all of my flat in halls would have been eligible.

x

As Origami Bullets said, there's an application process (a bit like a paper version of ucas including a personal statement, reasons for each of your uni choices, a reference etc) and you need 55-60% average by the end of your first year to be allowed to study abroad. I need 55% for my university and I'm currently on a 67% average from my semester one results.

I've answered a lot of questions here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1925803
Original post by HighRoller
At night stay away from the northern quarters, printworks, piccadily, , mancunain way and salford (where that student got shot in the head). If you're living a little further up at the student residents don't go to moss side or Rushmore.

All these place are full of yobs.

And if you go to wilmslow road aka "curry mile" with your girlie friends for a ngiht out watch out far gangs of asian chavs. The place is teeming with them and they're well known to harrass women walking thorugh, esp if they're white.

Only nice place in the whole of manchester imo is Hale and surrounding areas and parts of town like deansgate. The rest is basically just infested with obnoxious bottom-feeding scum.

Hale Barnes! This has just provided me with the best laugh in days. Thank you.
Original post by Bellissima
basically i like a chemistry course at manc uni... but what is the town like to live in? the course sounds ideal but i don't know about the city.

student life, niceness of city, clubs, transport, shopping, weather

If you want to know anything and everything about Manc, just PM me. I'd be happy to help.
Original post by Luxray
:eek2: you've never seen her? I see her once or a twice each month. The Mancunion needs to do an interview with her.

no :emo: where does she normally be? everytime im on the magic bus, ihope i see her and it doesnt happen :moon:
Original post by Welsh Leprecaun
If you're going to be a UoM student, I definitely recommend Whitworth Park for accomodation. The student feeling is great with everyone so close together, it is 5 minutes from most lectures, right next to Maccie's, Subway, Gemini's, etc, and has a gym, student bar and squash courts. It is also the cheapest iirc

i agree its the best accomadation but it defo is not the cheapest.
Original post by hasan4life
no :emo: where does she normally be? everytime im on the magic bus, ihope i see her and it doesnt happen :moon:

i agree its the best accomadation but it defo is not the cheapest.

Definitely the cheapest in the city centre
Definitely the cheapest in the city centre

Is whitworth park full of internationals?
Is whitworth park full of internationals?

Put it this way, I'm considered to be in a heavily international flat with 4/8. The majority tend to have 1/2 I think
Put it this way, I'm considered to be in a heavily international flat with 4/8. The majority tend to have 1/2 I think

Ah, it's a bit more expensive than OH isn't it? What's the decor like compared to OH, also, is there more sharing in OH for bathrooms and kitchens?

Oh and are boys and girls divided in WP like OH? Think I might choose WP, more convenient location. From the sounds of it, OH and fallowfield is for pre-drinking, then you hit town, before wasting money on a taxi or struggling to catch the bus?
Original post by hughcapet
It's like this:

aren't most northern universities like this?

how comes manchester gets singled out :s-smilie:
Reply 97
I might be a bit biased because I was born and raised, and go to uni in Manchester! But its the best university city in my opinion, show me one major city that doesn't rain or have some crime, if you get over that it has amazing shopping, night-life, restaurants, museums... so many things to do. I've been to a lot of other uni's visiting friends and none of them compare in my opinion.
Original post by internet tough guy
aren't most northern universities like this?

how comes manchester gets singled out :s-smilie:

It rains more in the North than the South. And it rains more in the West than the East. Manchester being the North-West means it has more rain days than say Newcastle. Though Liverpool also has a fair bit of rain as does the UK generally. So yeah, it's silly really, if you don't like rain, leave the UK.
Ah, it's a bit more expensive than OH isn't it? What's the decor like compared to OH, also, is there more sharing in OH for bathrooms and kitchens?

Oh and are boys and girls divided in WP like OH? Think I might choose WP, more convenient location. From the sounds of it, OH and fallowfield is for pre-drinking, then you hit town, before wasting money on a taxi or struggling to catch the bus?

In terms of room decor, OH and WP seem pretty identical, only difference is WP is cream and OH is lime. WP depends where in your flat you are depending o the sizes of the room, my room is one of the smallest but my flat mate has a 'sloping' room and it's massive, either way the rooms are great I find.

In terms of the whole single sex thing, ground floor flats are al male, then the rest are basically all mixed minus some, I think they're trying to integrate it so every flat minus ground floor is mixed, no matter what though, you'l meet a ton of people outside your flat. I'm guessing the hike in price refers to the fact that we're closer to the city.

I'm moving to fallowfield next year and although I'm excited, I'm going to miss the convenience of WP! It's amazing just rolling out of bed at 8:45 for a 9am and still being on time, plus everything is in walking distance for the most part :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending