The Student Room Group

Work experience to get into nursing

Hey everyone,

I got rejected from my first and 2nd choice of uni as I don't have enough experience so I'm taking a gap year and then reapplying. So I was wondering:
How much work experience did people have to get into university, and what work experience have you done?

Thanks
Reply 1
I guess it will depend on which branch you are applying for but the wider range of experience, more interaction with the varying interprofessional disciplines, the better.

With regards to Child nursing, I did quite a bit of voluntary work over the previous 3 years or so. I got experience with the local hospital OT dept which was out in the community with children, a special needs school for children aged 11 - 18, a holiday club for children with life shortening conditions, a mobility class for children in a local primary school, a children/young persons hospice (travelled 40 miles each way every week for that one). The unis I applied to said that they wanted experience with children with illness or other issues and that experience with healthy children would not be enough.

I think you've made a really sensible decision in taking a year out. It'll really show how committed you are to get the experience and understanding. Good luck.
Reply 2
thank you :smile:

Yes this is something I really want to do so I cant wait is just getting the experience as there is not many places where I live especially for children with illness so I was wondering how much others have done.

You have done loads are you at Uni now ?
Reply 3
Original post by NatashaB5051
thank you :smile:

Yes this is something I really want to do so I cant wait is just getting the experience as there is not many places where I live especially for children with illness so I was wondering how much others have done.

You have done loads are you at Uni now ?

I'm at Southampton doing Child Nursing. Love it!
Even helping at a local school and identifying/helping children with health issues would be useful.
Reply 4
through experience, it is difficult getting work experience for children that are sick. Try getting in touch with your local hospital and see if you can arrange work experience on any ward as it will give you an insight into how a ward works even if it isn't the branch of nursing which you want to do.

Any experience with children is valid as long as your directly link it to why you want to do nursing and how the experiences have given you skills to be good at being a paediatric nurse. I had experience in mentoring children who had just started high school, babysitting, work experience in a primary school.

Quick Reply

Latest