The Student Room Group

The Martial Arts Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
You guess right :smile:
Reply 381
:cool: thanks Gaskell..

I have heard about some bjj foundations but I dont know if unis host any.. Why not just do judo and jitsu?
Reply 382
BJJ is supposedly more "hard-core" than every other art (other than Muay Thai) because its used in UFC etc.

Theres a group of people who think that if an MA isnt BJJ or MT, then its total crap :rolleyes:
Reply 383
Gaskell
BJJ is supposedly more "hard-core" than every other art (other than Muay Thai) because its used in UFC etc.

Theres a group of people who think that if an MA isnt BJJ or MT, then its total crap :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: it's extremely similar to judo and jitsu so they need to get over themselves!
Reply 384
I will do jitsu when if I have the chance, but BJJ appealed to me more, especially after watching the gracies. Im not sure about Judo, but isnt alot of the style based around the opponent wearing a gi?
Reply 385
lolcano
I will do jitsu when if I have the chance, but BJJ appealed to me more, especially after watching the gracies. Im not sure about Judo, but isnt alot of the style based around the opponent wearing a gi?

yeah I guess it is, but we do most of the judo throws in jitsu, they can be executed without the opponent wearing a Gi, but aggreably it must be difficult sometimes.
Reply 386
Heh BJJ. Overhyped tbh.

Getting quick strikes in before running away >> trying to wrestle people to the ground
Reply 387
Sure BJJ can be overhyped, so can striking and running away. Under ideal circumstances a quick strike followed by running is definitely best, but if you think that you can't be taken down then you're delusional, and the only way to learn to fight effectively on the ground is to practice a proper ground fighting martial art.

If someone attacks you by charging you and taking your quick strike before tackling you to the ground, then if you don't know any groundfighting based martial art, you're in a world of trouble.

Equally, if you only know grappling based martial arts, then one day you'll find someone you fail to take down for whatever reason who takes you apart with punches and kicks.

Only being able to grapple and only being able to strike are both insufficient.
Reply 388
Depends on the fighter I guess. Personally I wouldn't want to even be within grappling distance, let alone hug and wrestle someone to the ground. And from the BJJ vids I've seen, theres a hole somewhere waiting to be exploited.
Reply 389
We do ground fighting in jitsu, I must say, I dont like it much..
Reply 390
Toing
Depends on the fighter I guess. Personally I wouldn't want to even be within grappling distance, let alone hug and wrestle someone to the ground. And from the BJJ vids I've seen, theres a hole somewhere waiting to be exploited.

Thats the thing though, how many fights have you witnessed that havent got within grappling distance? Im sure in a fight with someone who isnt a random drunk looking for a fight, and actually has the ability to punch, with ground skills you would be at a huge advantage. I know if i knew BJJ that on the ground i would dominate anyone, so why stand up and exchange blows?

In reality though im sure no martial art would dominate in real life situations, afterall when is it a "fair" fight?

Ground fighting is what im interested in, and BJJ easily looks the best. I just wish there were more schools around.
Reply 391
Isn't BJJ a more competition-oriented art?
Reply 392
Toing
Isn't BJJ a more competition-oriented art?

Yes, but I don't see how that changes its effectiveness. As I understand it (although I'm by no means an expert) they train for full contact style fighting and also have competitive gradings which tends to keep standards high.
Reply 393
Competitions have rules. Rules limit the fighting.
Reply 394
Toing

:yy:!!

that's why we can't/don't usually compete in jitsu, we have very little rules.
Reply 395
Toing

The sort of rules that BJJ has been shown to be effective under, are virtually non-existent. They ban a few things like gouging but allow groin strikes and other techniques. The thing is, it's incredibly foolish to assume, that just because a style comeptes under a set of rules, its fighters can't use techniques outside those rules in a proper fight, and if they are better than you are at an aspect of fighting, then they are far more likely to be in a good position to use that against you, and are also more likely to know how to counter anything from you.

Just for reference, I don't think that BJJ is the be all and end all of martial arts, just that it is effective for ground fighting and that ground fighting as well as striking is vital for anyone who is serious about being a good fighter.
Reply 396
A read a book on BBJ, I like most of their counters! (defensive counters against strangles and head-locks), they are very effective I would presume.
Sorry totally off topic but hi its Laura again

I am getting really fed up with my TKD club because the instructor has gone through the next grading pattern with everyone but me for some reason and she seems to take the kids more seriously not people starting out in their early 20s. I know it sounds bitchy but I am pissed off of being ignored I pay my fee like all other members and I am hardly an old granny at 23. I don't really want to leave it cos its a good one but I hope she starts taking me more seriously because I am really enjoying it and want to be as good as I can be.

May-be its cos I am quiet but still its kind of off :frown:
Reply 398
LauraWalker
Sorry totally off topic but hi its Laura again

I am getting really fed up with my TKD club because the instructor has gone through the next grading pattern with everyone but me for some reason and she seems to take the kids more seriously not people starting out in their early 20s. I know it sounds bitchy but I am pissed off of being ignored I pay my fee like all other members and I am hardly an old granny at 23. I don't really want to leave it cos its a good one but I hope she starts taking me more seriously because I am really enjoying it and want to be as good as I can be.

May-be its cos I am quiet but still its kind of off :frown:

I know that feeling. Why don't you make it noticable that you need help? or maybe just raise the issue with her personally, tell her you don't think your progress is as good as before because you feel you are not getting enough attention, or something along those lines
he he he I am sooo shy sometimes. I am training tonight and its the session where often only 6 people show so I'll be hard done by if I don't get much tonight :smile:

P.s Your jitsu looks cool, I was reading a marital arts book- did nt know it woz from brazil (doh)

Quick Reply

Latest