The Student Room Group

The Martial Arts Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
NathanL
Hey everybody, 1st time poster on this soc-thread.

I've been doing shotokan karate for a few months now - tis great, and I'm loving it.

However, something I've been thinking about after hearing different opinions.

In a real fight, a normal street fight say with one or more thugs on a street at night, how useful is it?

Thanks,

Nathan :smile:

Id say not much, i cant imagine any blocking working, strikes should however. This is discussed so much but the only real way to find out is what happens when you are attacked.

Is there any sparring in karate? Or is all sparring scored bouts (like in Karate kid)
lolcano
Is there any sparring in karate?

Yes, we practise free sparring. An no, we don't have 'scored bouts'. :smile:
Reply 582
Heh heh such is the joke between myself and my mates - "Well, if the bad guy punches directly forward in this stance, well, I'd kick his ass. No problem".

I dunno though, I can genuinely see the lessons and principles I'm being taught being put to 'good use', so to speak.

Experienced karatekas, do you agree? Disagree?
Reply 583
I find them useful, although I haven't had a huge array of street fights to put them into practice...
Reply 584
Depends...

There are 2 types of martial art. I'll represent them mathematically.

Type 1:

This type has a specific counter for almost everything. Mathematically, its like saying x=2, y=4 and x=3, y=9, x=4, y=16 and so on.

Examples include Ju-Jitsu, Taekwondo, Karate, Judo, BJJ.

Type 2:
This time gives you the knowledge, and leaves you to get on with it. Mathematically, is like saying y=x^2 instead of giving a table of xs and ys.

Examples would be just about every single type of kungfu/wushu ever, shaolin, mizong, hongquan, jing wu, hung gar, and basically everything else.
Reply 585
So basically you mean 1 group of martial arts has specific counter moves and the other group teaches you logic in fighting?

Just trying to clear up what you put.
Reply 586
Not exactly. Hmm almost.

What you said about the counter moves is true. Martial arts such as JJ, BJJ, TKD etc. have training focused on stuff like "if he punches here, you counter like this" and so on, or so I've observed after 10 years of TKD.

On the other hand, martial arts like wushu which are heavily form based, don't attempt to give you a whole table of results to memorise. They give you the formula, and once you are familiar enough with the formula (at the instinctive level), you can pretty much adapt to counter almost any attack.
woo hoo I got kicked really hard in my a*se at Taekwondo when I moved to miss a kick to the chest. Bruised bum :frown:
Reply 588
Toing
Not exactly. Hmm almost.

What you said about the counter moves is true. Martial arts such as JJ, BJJ, TKD etc. have training focused on stuff like "if he punches here, you counter like this" and so on, or so I've observed after 10 years of TKD.

On the other hand, martial arts like wushu which are heavily form based, don't attempt to give you a whole table of results to memorise. They give you the formula, and once you are familiar enough with the formula (at the instinctive level), you can pretty much adapt to counter almost any attack.

I dont think you can group MA like that.

For example BJJ isnt based purely on counters. It is not based entirely on what the other person does, although there are specific counters.

Plus the example for wushu where you can adapt to make counters is also true of BJJ, as well as any MA probably.

I dont think there are 2 types of MA, i think they are all pretty different in their way of being taught and used...
JJ is brilliant!! i adore it in every way! such a wide range of techniques. also, for my next grading i'm back to doing some non-weapon katas for the first time in AAAges.
i want to take up a new MA but it costs and i just want something more along the lines of parkour to try...

oh and in reply to the question about how useful MA are in street fights - i got attacked the other night and a good old fashioned block is pretty darn effective, then you just try and get out of there. i of course "won" the fight because no blows were actually landed and the chav lost a cigarette that he flicked at me YAY
Reply 590
went training todayt for the first time after exams.. damn it feels good to be active again. got punched in the face though :frown:
Now my exams are finished I'm up to 4 training sessions a week, and damn does it feel good! :biggrin:
Reply 592
I am trying to build my standards up at training so that it doesnt matter if they slip a bit while I am at Uni and away from the club :biggrin:
Reply 593
Can't you train at Uni?
Reply 594
Theres no karate clubs at Huddersfield Uni, and I dont want to "pollute" what I have learnt at our club by going to another style of Karate.

Going to be taking up Ju Jitsu and Arnis though to work on the other areas of my fight :smile:
Reply 595
Anth
Theres no karate clubs at Huddersfield Uni, and I dont want to "pollute" what I have learnt at our club by going to another style of Karate.

Going to be taking up Ju Jitsu and Arnis though to work on the other areas of my fight :smile:

hey guys!! hope training is good, mine is going well, been doing loads of advanced throws.. Anyway, I wont be on very much, except once in a while to deal with any queries (if any lol), i will make Toing plainly based on activity in this soc.. He/she (pls forgive me) will deal with all the join requests when im not on...

To do this, just click socs and then "manage your societies", then view join requests and accept :smile:..

Ciao!!
Hi guys, well I took Taekwondo few years ago but stopped becos where I am now there is no really good masters so I decided to join Karate in two years I managed to get 1st Dan, ok some of you may question why and how becos usually it took 3 years well lets just say I have a really good MA backgrounds and experience (thx to my sensei for recognizing it)...BTW is there any Shihan or above 2nd Dan in here?
Shogun_X13
in two years I managed to get 1st Dan, ok some of you may question why and how becos usually it took 3 years

5 years at least seems the norm for my club, but each to his own.
Reply 598
Anth

but learning with another club will contribute to ur knowledge, not pollute it.
Reply 599
I dunno, like going into one club and having to do the stances, techniques and kata their way, then going home and having to do them "our" way doesnt appeal to me.

I did a Tang Soo Do class months ago (completely different art) and that helped me more than spending a year and a half training at another club did.

Quick Reply

Latest