The Student Room Group

The Martial Arts Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Salamandre
Hi everyone,
Maybe some people here practice the russian Systema? After 6 years of krav-maga, I'd like to try this martial art...any feedback?

What did you mean with "russian Systema"? Sambo? As far as I know Krav Maga was/is an Israeli military close combat. I'm very interest in this Self Defence and would love to practice it one day. That's why I would ask you after your experiences. Tell me a little, if you would be kind enough to do it, please!
Krav Maga is a very good martial art, because it doesn't requires necessary a good sportive physical condition, so everyone can try it. I mean, it would be difficult for a pregnant woman or a 80 years old man to train in karate or boxing...whereas in Krav, I saw those kind of people working with good results! Even guys with a broken arm still succeeded in defend themselves

Also, there is less "traditional spirit" than in oriental martial arts...I tried karate when I was a kid, and that aspect didn't particulary pleased to me

But don't forget, none martial art is THE best, each has its particularities and good/bad aspects
Original post by Salamandre
(...)
But don't forget, none martial art is THE best, each has its particularities and good/bad aspects

I know. I have made experiences in Self Defense by myself and I noticed that there are some techniques which doesn't work by all kinds of people. There are many different people with different physique, so there are special techniques for special people.
Can I join? I love judo!
Original post by TheGoonerGirl
Can I join? I love judo!

yup, just click the option to join, and the soc leader will see to it :smile:

I personally prefer less grappling styles :biggrin:
Grappling is good, but when limited methinks.
Compared to other martial arts some grappling based ma schools are very limited and have very limited thinking, such as: so and so. Created this and that's that, when in actual fact someone studying another martial art has probably been doing it for years before the person was born
Hey guys,

I've been practising karate for a good six years now. I train weekly at my dojo an am a green belt. I grade, on average, once a year. I know some clubs you can walk out with a black belt after four years, but my brilliant sensei is adamant that a black belt actually means something, ie a very high degree of competency.

I love my style of karate- we do pairs, kata, sparring (occasionally), self defence and oyos. However, I'd love to improve my punching and kicking, but don't have a punch bag at my house.

Anyone got any tips?
Have been considering training in a martial art for a while. Any recommendations for the best self defence/confidence boosting style?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by navarre
Hey guys,

I've been practising karate for a good six years now. I train weekly at my dojo an am a green belt. I grade, on average, once a year. I know some clubs you can walk out with a black belt after four years, but my brilliant sensei is adamant that a black belt actually means something, ie a very high degree of competency.

I love my style of karate- we do pairs, kata, sparring (occasionally), self defence and oyos. However, I'd love to improve my punching and kicking, but don't have a punch bag at my house.

Anyone got any tips?

The color of the belt is not relevant for the ability of a martial artist. It seems that your sensei realized that. To improve your punches and kicks I recommend you to make shadow boxing. Thats the best way to improve your technique. To improve your power ask one of your partner if he has pleasure enough to hold focus mitts by the practices of kicking and punching. If you or your partner have/has no focus mitts, get them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kallisto
What did you mean with "russian Systema"? Sambo? As far as I know Krav Maga was/is an Israeli military close combat. I'm very interest in this Self Defence and would love to practice it one day. That's why I would ask you after your experiences. Tell me a little, if you would be kind enough to do it, please!
all these Systema, Krav maga etc are just martial art principles applied to modern armed forces and police training to deal with terrorist threats, armed threat etc. You learn how to punch someone in the throat or break their arm in most martial arts, but that the focus of krav maga is vastlly different than a traditional martial arts club. Israeli idf soldiers are trained to charge into a terrosits house and disable them as quickly as possible, these arnt the skills entirely necessarrily to defend yourself outside a weatherspoons on a saturday night
Original post by PaulStDavis
Have been considering training in a martial art for a while. Any recommendations for the best self defence/confidence boosting style?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on what suits your style of fighting naturally, imo.
Original post by Kallisto
The color of the belt is not relevant for the ability of a martial artist.

That I would agree is important and at my club I got my black belt quite quickly I would say compared to other clubs as in 5 and a half years but I like to think of myself as one of the more competent members of my club and have worked hard for it however there are some members of my club who are just useless and don't deserve the belt they wear. Does anyone else have this in their club, people who once reaching black belt no longer try for improvement or who never really seemed to be at black belt level, or is it just my club?

Also as I have not posed here before I have requested to join the social group so are there any things I need to do to join besides apply? any help is appreciated
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Moist Penguin
That I would agree is important and at my club I got my black belt quite quickly I would say compared to other clubs as in 5 and a half years but I like to think of myself as one of the more competent members of my club and have worked hard for it however there are some members of my club who are just useless and don't deserve the belt they wear. Does anyone else have this in their club, people who once reaching black belt no longer try for improvement or who never really seemed to be at black belt level, or is it just my club? (...)

There is a statement which should you keep in your mind: "be happy with the passed grade and be proud of your performance which you done at the examination, no matter what the color is".

Apart from that it seems common that some of Karatekas break the training up when they get the black belt, because some of them think that they have reached perfection in Karate. And some of them get arrogant and think of that they are strong enough to beat everyone. These are stereotypes which come be true now and then, but I'm sure there are enough Karatekas who realize the true spirit of Karate and Martial Art.

Quick Reply

Latest