The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Doctors and Engineer's are the stereotypical go-to careers though aren't they? Every kid knows that they could be a Doctor, and then many of them will go through experiences in hospital, and good expereinces may encourage them to pursue a career in medicine.

Having said that I'm doing my GCSEs and if there is anything I don't want to do for a degree it is medicine. The thought of giving someone an injection makes my skin crawl.
For me? Combination of satisfaction of directly helping people, interesting knowledge needed, respectable profession, and an okay salary.

I think the fact it is a combination does matter, although I only ever mentioned first two reasons in an interview for fear of them thinking the latter reasons mattering more.

If you really only care about helping people then becoming a nurse or joining some humanitarian aid mission is better. If you only care about salary then law and banking can be a lot better. Etc.
I like the idea of building a human centipede but lack the skillz
Reply 43
so the question is why do you want to do medicine,this question is asked alot but in reality no one really wants to say anything but if i start maybe some people will join, so i will start with team work, helping people and intrest in science and practicality of the job.

so start the thread with why you wanna do medicine.
Original post by MarshmallowBob
well i think the most generic reason why people want to become doctors, is because they want to help people, and they feel the best way they can do that (with the skills and expertise they have), is by becoming a doctor. Now obviously thats not the only reason why a person would want to become a doctor. Personally: one of my parents had a near death exp, and because of the doctors at the hospital, my mom is still alive.

Or because they've been influenced by their parents' wishes, the glamour associated with being a doctor, the social prestige and, of course, the salary.
Original post by Politricks
Or because they've been influenced by their parents' wishes, the glamour associated with being a doctor, the social prestige and, of course, the salary.

More likely.
Reply 46
for the monies.

lets be honest here.
Reply 47
The issue i have (i bet i get negged) its just a personal opinion.... There are hundred of us grads/mature students who have worked in healthcare all around the world in various conditions and have the real hard experience.. however to become a doctor barely any uni's will look at us because we didn't decide at 16 to pursue medicine/pushed by parents to do so..
Yes there are grad courses but 3 unis look at the degree only without having to sit GAMSAT etc

There is a glorified view on medicine that young people have and it irritates the bejesus out of me!
Reply 48
Original post by lcsurfer
The issue i have (i bet i get negged) its just a personal opinion.... There are hundred of us grads/mature students who have worked in healthcare all around the world in various conditions and have the real hard experience.. however to become a doctor barely any uni's will look at us because we didn't decide at 16 to pursue medicine/pushed by parents to do so..
Yes there are grad courses but 3 unis look at the degree only without having to sit GAMSAT etc

There is a glorified view on medicine that young people have and it irritates the bejesus out of me!

How old are you?

Does anyone know if it's easier to get into medschool straight after college, or after taking a gap year and getting your results?
Original post by walkhms
for the monies.

lets be honest here.

If people really do go into medicine for the money they should think again.

As a hospital doctor it takes a minimum of 10 years before you're earning a minimum of £75,000. If you get into medicine at age 18, and study for minimum 5 years that means age 33 at the earliest.

Take law in a magic circle firm, you studied for 3 years in university for LLB then got a job straight away. After 2 years of seat rotations you're on entry level £61,000. I'd imagine this reaches £75,000 in under an additional 3 years. So by age 26 you're earning as much as a basic consultant. Obviously it is harder to enter a magic circle law firm compared to medicine though. But just comparing pay to those high achieves that just want to make money.
Why did I get into Medicine? Let me go back and check my personal statement.

Something about integrity, and fascination with science. Wanting to help people, blah blah.
Reply 51
Original post by hash007
How old are you?

Does anyone know if it's easier to get into medschool straight after college, or after taking a gap year and getting your results?

I'm a graduate (with a non bioscience degree) and and I have applied as a graduate this year- still waiting on one school and it is harder and more competitive to get in. I can't apply to loads of schools because i didn't take chemistry as an A level back when i was 16-18. And didn't get 2+ A's at A level.
Original post by Nightufury
Cuz you get paid £80k-120k for telling someone they have flu.

stop negging me you medicine applicants......

Made my day.
In Canada... because there isn't much else you can do with a Bsc since the majority research positions take at least a Masters.
By the time you get this far you can barely remember why you started anyway...
Reply 55
I wonder why people are always shy with the money point - I take it you're all going to work for free?
I dont understand why people think a lot of medics apply for financial reasons.

A lot of medical school applicants are at the top of their year group with grades that can take them to oxbridge/imperial/ucl/warwick to obtain 'get rich quick degrees' but i think the fact they apply and reapply to medicine shows a genuine interest and commitment to medicine for the majority of applicants.
Original post by Wangers
I wonder why people are always shy with the money point - I take it you're all going to work for free?

No, but we're not going to be working for as much as the general public thinks we work for. A doctor might get a salary of £100k per annum in the twilight years of his or her career, but they'll start circa £25k and consistently get paid less than other professions, like Dentists, Magic Circle Lawyers and Drug Dealers.
Original post by Hippysnake
but they'll start circa £25k and consistently get paid less than other professions, like Dentists, Magic Circle Lawyers and Drug Dealers.

Which you could argue we kinda are.
Reply 59
Original post by jaydeedonuts
I dont understand why people think a lot of medics apply for financial reasons.

A lot of medical school applicants are at the top of their year group with grades that can take them to oxbridge/imperial/ucl/warwick to obtain 'get rich quick degrees' but i think the fact they apply and reapply to medicine shows a genuine interest and commitment to medicine for the majority of applicants.

I don't think many people apply to medicine (certainly not in the UK anyway) thinking it's going to make them a millionaire. But "financial reasons" doesn't just mean "get rich quick." Medicine offers almost a guaranteed job on graduation, earning a reasonable, if not astronomical salary, and good opportunities for progression to a very comfortable salary. Unless you whore yourself out to Harley Street you're never going to be loaded - and even then the MDU/MPS fees you have to pay are going to eat up a large chunk of your income - but barring total catastrophe you're nearly always going to be secure.

For every law graduate working in a magic circle firm on 6 figure salaries after a few years, there are several small-town solicitors getting by on far less. And the job security in medicine is much greater than in any bank. I think those are definitely good financial reasons to consider when looking at medicine, and I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing.

Latest

Trending

Trending