The Student Room Group

Driving affected by bad decision making

I passed my test nearly two years ago, and for a while I wasn't too bad at it. However, I feel that over time I have gradually got worse and worse.
The main areas I have problems with are:

Traffic Lights - "They're on amber - should I stop suddenly or will I be able to get through before they change to red?"

Roundabouts - "Will I be able to get there before the other car does?"

Zebra Crossings - "Will the pedestrians get to the crossing before me? Are they actually going to cross the road anyway?"

It's strange as I never really had these sort of problems when I first passed my test, in fact I think my standard of driving is now worse than when I was a learner. I always seem to make the wrong decision, if I'm not sure I do try to pick the safest option, and then realise that it was perfectly safe and acceptable to just keep going, which seems to annoy other drivers that I slow down. After I make one mistake while driving, it really puts me on edge, and then I make many more mistakes - once I misjudged a roundabout and nearly had a taxi in the side of my car, and then after that I made mistakes on a further 3 roundabouts, within about 3 minutes.

I've also noticed I get really scared if there is a lot of traffic about, which I never used to do, I used to handle driving in traffic really well.
I honestly don't know what has caused this, and I really wish I could still drive how I used to.

Does anyone have any suggestions to how I could get back to a good standard of driving, or what might have caused this?

(btw, sorry if this would have been better in the motoring forum, but I want to post anon which I can't do in that forum)

Mod edit: Moved thread to appropriate forum; if you want to remain anon there you could post on a duplicate account.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I passed my test nearly two years ago, and for a while I wasn't too bad at it. However, I feel that over time I have gradually got worse and worse.

Traffic Lights - "They're on amber - should I stop suddenly or will I be able to get through before they change to red?"

Zebra Crossings - "Will the pedestrians get to the crossing before me? Are they actually going to cross the road anyway?"

It's strange as I never really had these sort of problems when I first passed my test, in fact I think my standard of driving is now worse than when I was a learner. I always seem to make the wrong decision, if I'm not sure I do try to pick the safest option, and then realise that it was perfectly safe and acceptable to just keep going, which seems to annoy other drivers that I slow down. After I make one mistake while driving, it really puts me on edge, and then I make many more mistakes - once I misjudged a roundabout and nearly had a taxi in the side of my car, and then after that I made mistakes on a further 3 roundabouts, within about 3 minutes.

I've also noticed I get really scared if there is a lot of traffic about, which I never used to do, I used to handle driving in traffic really well.
I honestly don't know what has caused this, and I really wish I could still drive how I used to.

Does anyone have any suggestions to how I could get back to a good standard of driving, or what might have caused this?

(btw, sorry if this would have been better in the motoring forum, but I want to post anon which I can't do in that forum)

Do you have this same level of indecisiveness in your day to day life or is it just with the driving?

If you want to become a better and safer driver, I would recommend doing a driving course like Pass Plus or take a few advanced driving lessons with the Institute of Advanced Motorists or a similar advanced driving organisation.

If you are ever in any doubt, always err on the side of caution. Yes it might infuriate other motorists if they perceive you to be slowing down or time wasting, but it's better than getting injured or killed.

Have you ever been in a road traffic accident or witnessed one? maybe that is what is putting you on edge? I watched my best friend get run over and killed as a child and that has always made me uncomfortable driving. I can drive fine, I just don't like to.
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply. Yes I do have the indecisiveness problem in all areas of life really.

Sorry to hear about your loss, it must be really difficult to drive with that on your mind, it kind of puts my driving problem, which is mainly caused by taking everything that people say or do to heart in a very negative way, into perspective.

I think I might book one of the IAM's Momentum courses as this may be able to help. I am also seriously considering getting some counselling as I have been thinking about this issue all day and I now cannot sleep because of it.
Reply 3
Thank you for your reply. Yes I do have the indecisiveness problem in all areas of life really.

Sorry to hear about your loss, it must be really difficult to drive with that on your mind, it kind of puts my driving problem, which is mainly caused by taking everything that people say or do to heart in a very negative way, into perspective.

I think I might book one of the IAM's Momentum courses as this may be able to help. I am also seriously considering getting some counselling as I have been thinking about this issue all day and I now cannot sleep because of it.

It seems to be more of an underlying problem then that is manifesting itself in your driving. You say you have the problem in all areas of your life, maybe the consequences of that problem are only really obvious to you when you are driving because it involves a lot of stimulus and response and interactions with other drivers.

Why do you think you take things to heart so much? have you always been like that? can you recall a time in your life when it wasn't a problem? and if so, can you pinpoint anything that might have triggered it?
When you're approaching traffic lights always be prepared to stop if necessary. The only time you can go through amber is if it would be unsafe for you to stop. e.g. if you stopped, the car behind you would crash into you. Obviously this depends on the speed which you go at, so like I said, prepare for the lights to change.
Roundabouts - I can't offer any advice because I'm currently taking lessons, but failing at them dreadfully :no:
Zebra crossings - same principle as the traffic lights - be prepared to stop if necessary, so watch your speed.
It sounds to me that you're a nice driver, but when you're driving you need to be clear on what you're doing. If you slow down too quickly at a crossing because someone is walking on the pavement and *may* cross, you will startle the driver behind you, who could go into the back of your car. You can be a nice driver as much as you want just make sure there's nobody behind you. :tongue:
Reply 5
To be honest I do notice it in other areas, I just feel that the fact that it affects my driving to be more significant as it can be dangerous at times. I honestly don't know what has caused me to take everything to heart, I've done it for as long as I can remember really, I don't remember a time when I wasn't like this. I can't think of anything that could have triggered it, I wish I did though :frown:

I do feel that I can drive fine as long as there are no other drivers on the road, I'm fine driving in the early hours of the morning, but in the daytime I'm terrible. I get really nervous when there's a lot of traffic.

cherriesxo - I'm sure you're not failing dreadfully in your driving lessons, I'm not great at roundabouts and I've been driving for almost 2 years now.

I just seem to always do the wrong thing, like I'll stop on an amber light if it was perfectly safe to continue, I'll think that I can get to the zebra crossing before the pedestrian can (sometimes works, occasionally doesn't though, makes me feel really bad when I do it wrong), and stop suddenly at a roundabout only for the approaching driver to see this and then decide to indicate :angry: or see a driver approaching the roundabout and misjudge their speed, one such incident was on one of these painted roundabouts, where they're just a circle painted on the road, I saw a car approaching from quite a distance so decided it was safe to go, then as I went round the roundabout, the car gets to the roundabout a lot more quickly than I expected, went straight over the roundabout, and nearly goes into the side of me. That annoyed me even though it was probably my fault
It takes time, and experience to know how to read road conditions, but as been said, you can always learn more on various courses.
Reply 7

Mod edit: Moved thread to appropriate forum; if you want to remain anon there you could post on a duplicate account.

You probably haven't got worse - it's just that now that you are more experienced you notice your mistakes more.

When you were learning you probably didn't notice all your screw ups. Other drivers would have given you lots of space and not beeped you if you were slow at a roundabout.

For traffic lights - if they are on amber you should be stopping unless you would need to slam on your brakes (and potentially cause an accident). So that one's easy!

Roundabouts are something that come with practice - learners and new drivers often hate them, but experienced drivers love them. The key is to get your approach speed right - slow enough to stop if necessary, but fast enough to get away quickly. Dropping down a gear as you approach will allow you to accelerate more quickly. For small/mini-roundabouts, eye contact with other drivers is also important.

Pedestrian Crossings - If in doubt, stop. Pedestrians often don't look where they are going, so it's better to be safe than sorry. Again, if you make eye contact with the pedestrians you will get a much better sense of what they are planning,
Reply 8
Original post by Mbob
Roundabouts are something that come with practice - learners and new drivers often hate them, but experienced drivers love them. The key is to get your approach speed right - slow enough to stop if necessary, but fast enough to get away quickly. Dropping down a gear as you approach will allow you to accelerate more quickly. For small/mini-roundabouts, eye contact with other drivers is also important.

Good tips.

Something else that might be helpful for someone who doesn't like roundabouts is just to watch one. Park safely near to a roundabout (or walk there), and just wait there a few minutes, maybe about 10 minutes. Watch the patterns of traffic, how vehicles interact, what gaps drivers take and don't take and how others react to their decisions. Envisage yourself there in one or other of the vehicles and think about the decisions their drivers are making. You should start to build up a better understanding of how everything fits together, which should in turn make you better at dealing with roundabouts.
are you a women? if so i know the answer to your problem
Reply 10
If you do not want to do the advanced driving but just want a bit of help and you are near Leicester LE4 then I'll help you for FREE as I am am an aged 50+ IAM senior observer who is unemployed and bored!!
Hi , After 8 years have you found how to fix this? Could you share some pointers please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending