The Student Room Group

CELTA/ certTESOL/ Teaching English as a Foreign Language

Scroll to see replies

Guys, if you want to work in Asia the CELTA is a waste of money. Just get some crappy online certificate if it's that big of a deal, no one knows the difference over here, nor will they call anyone to check.
I have 3 skype interviews next week for different summer schools in England, Cambridge mainly..freaking out!
Hi people, I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm in the right place!
I have a year at my disposal since a job I've been offered has been pushed back to July next year and am interested in spending a year working abroad, preferably teaching. I'd like to work in Asia and was wondering what the best course of action is; I am considering a low-cost online TEFL as an introduction to teaching before applying to jobs since I have heard that teaching in Asia doesn't generally require an expensive, university-approved TEFL or CELTA, and often only requires a degree, which I have.
Any advice or experiences of diving into teaching jobs with an online TEFL?
Original post by tpotter457
Hi people, I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm in the right place!
I have a year at my disposal since a job I've been offered has been pushed back to July next year and am interested in spending a year working abroad, preferably teaching. I'd like to work in Asia and was wondering what the best course of action is; I am considering a low-cost online TEFL as an introduction to teaching before applying to jobs since I have heard that teaching in Asia doesn't generally require an expensive, university-approved TEFL or CELTA, and often only requires a degree, which I have.
Any advice or experiences of diving into teaching jobs with an online TEFL?

Hi Tpotter
It depends whereabouts in Asia you are thinking of. I worked in China for a year without a CELTA (or even an online certificate). Most schools in China just want you to have a degree (for visa purposes mostly). I was quite lucky and got a fairly good school (although we were definitely seen as 'edutainers', not serious teachers, but the school paid us well and in a timely fashion), but bear in mind that schools with such low requirements may be pretty dodgy!

As for elsewhere in Asia, I'm not sure, maybe others can chip in.
Original post by voiceofreason234
Guys, if you want to work in Asia the CELTA is a waste of money. Just get some crappy online certificate if it's that big of a deal, no one knows the difference over here, nor will they call anyone to check.

If people want to get the CELTA for their own development then, really, what is the problem?! Yes you can work in SOME schools in Asia without,
but it is still a good thing to have. You can progress in your career, you can teach all over the world, and most importantly you are more likely to teach well.

Come on now! Since when is 4 weeks too long to train to teach!?
Original post by greenbeans123
Hi Tpotter
It depends whereabouts in Asia you are thinking of. I worked in China for a year without a CELTA (or even an online certificate). Most schools in China just want you to have a degree (for visa purposes mostly). I was quite lucky and got a fairly good school (although we were definitely seen as 'edutainers', not serious teachers, but the school paid us well and in a timely fashion), but bear in mind that schools with such low requirements may be pretty dodgy!

As for elsewhere in Asia, I'm not sure, maybe others can chip in.

Thanks for your reply! I was thinking China, Cambodia or Vietnam; they are places that I won't have a chance to visit in my job next year (naval service), and I've heard that there is a particularly high demand for teachers out there.
To be honest, for a gap year job I'm not sure if I'd be happy to spend a grand or more on the most desirable certificate if I can get a basic idea with something cheaper and then supplement it with actual experience.
What exactly do you mean by 'dodgy' when it comes to schools?
Thanks for your reply! I was thinking China, Cambodia or Vietnam; they are places that I won't have a chance to visit in my job next year (naval service), and I've heard that there is a particularly high demand for teachers out there.
To be honest, for a gap year job I'm not sure if I'd be happy to spend a grand or more on the most desirable certificate if I can get a basic idea with something cheaper and then supplement it with actual experience.

A 'basic idea'? Hm, well you COULD get an online cert. if it seems important to you. The truth is though if it doesn't include any real teaching 'practice' (i.e. with an actual class in front of you) it won't give you much idea of anything. If you're not up for the CELTA you could just save your money and just buy a couple of books on basic grammar and teaching techniques, and then learn as you go.

Dodgy schools don't pay you, pay you late, pay you too little, lie,scam, try to wiggle out of their promises etc. I was lucky and didn't experience this. Do your research (Dave's ESL Cafe etc) and ideally speak to another English native speaker on staff before you accept anything. There are indeed tonnes of jobs in China, but they really vary in pay, conditions and, well, dodginess!
Good point. I guess I saw having the certificate as just another qualification to show off, even if it doesn't mean much! I currently volunteer teaching first aid to adults, which I know isn't really related, but it does mean I'm fairly used to classroom environments.
Thanks for the advice, I've taken a look at Daves ESL cafe and there is indeed a huge amount of stuff on there!
Final day of my course tomorrow and already have a few interviews arranged.

Original post by TheTipsyTarsier
I have 3 skype interviews next week for different summer schools in England, Cambridge mainly..freaking out!

Good luck with the interviews.
Good point. I guess I saw having the certificate as just another qualification to show off, even if it doesn't mean much! I currently volunteer teaching first aid to adults, which I know isn't really related, but it does mean I'm fairly used to classroom environments.
Thanks for the advice, I've taken a look at Daves ESL cafe and there is indeed a huge amount of stuff on there!

You will find that that teaching experience will still be useful. My coaching and teaching experience has helped a bit.

Regarding qualifications you will find that like someone said China will be a mixed bag for qualifications and conditions. I know Vietnam you need a CELTA for basically for all jobs. I know this because I am looking there myself. I don't know about Cambodia as I haven't seen many jobs there.
I personally would advice that you look at job websites and see what they ask for. That will be a good idea. Be advised though that sometimes with will say 'TEFL certificate' or 'Recognised TEFL certificate' and they reply with "when we said that we meant a CELTA or equivillent". I found that when I first applied, before I got my CELTA.

If you don't know much about TEFL job sites. Someone has suggested one: eslcafe.com. That is a good one. Personally my favourite is TEFL.com. It is the one I use the most and it is particularly good if you want to search by country. However, if you want more I can send you a list of about 20 websites I use!
Original post by Europhile

Oh cool. Which countries? I am personally finding job hunting difficult at the moment as they usually reply to say I need to apply later in the year. I am looking for August onwards because my contract here in Portugal doesn't finish until July. Seems there are only a few places that plan that far ahead.
Original post by Sportycb
Oh cool. Which countries? I am personally finding job hunting difficult at the moment as they usually reply to say I need to apply later in the year. I am looking for August onwards because my contract here in Portugal doesn't finish until July. Seems there are only a few places that plan that far ahead.

Saudi Arabia and Japan. It would be a pretty big change for me and something new but I'd love to do it and I'm still fairly young so why not now? Out of the two I'd prefer Japan as I'm truly fascinated by the culture and really want to spend some time there. I did apply for a few in South Korea but was told by one 'to come in a couple of months' and 'contact us again once you've got the qualification'.

:lol:

What countries are you looking at?
Saudi Arabia and Japan. It would be a pretty big change for me and something new but I'd love to do it and I'm still fairly young so why not now? Out of the two I'd prefer Japan as I'm truly fascinated by the culture and really want to spend some time there. I did apply for a few in South Korea but was told by one 'to come in a couple of months' and 'contact us again once you've got the qualification'.

Loads! Recently I have applied to Hong Kong, UAE, Mexico and Vietnam. Mainly I have been looking at Vietnam, Malaysia and the Middle East (minus Saudi Arabia as I am not sure if I can cope with their laws - I keep changing my mind). I am open though.
Loads! Recently I have applied to Hong Kong, UAE, Mexico and Vietnam. Mainly I have been looking at Vietnam, Malaysia and the Middle East (minus Saudi Arabia as I am not sure if I can cope with their laws - I keep changing my mind). I am open though.

Ah, good luck. I hope you find somewhere. By the way, the grammar guide you sent me has been incredibly useful. You should get it made into an ebook and published. Even if it makes you some money through Amazon that's better than nothing.

:biggrin:
Ah, good luck. I hope you find somewhere. By the way, the grammar guide you sent me has been incredibly useful. You should get it made into an ebook and published. Even if it makes you some money through Amazon that's better than nothing.

:biggrin:

I am so glad that it has been useful for you. I have no idea how you make an e-book.
Original post by greenbeans123
If people want to get the CELTA for their own development then, really, what is the problem?! Yes you can work in SOME schools in Asia without,
but it is still a good thing to have. You can progress in your career, you can teach all over the world, and most importantly you are more likely to teach well.

Come on now! Since when is 4 weeks too long to train to teach!?

Let me make one thing clear from the outset - the only reason I do this job, or indeed any job, is for the cash. It's not about changing the world, helping other people, or any of that stuff from my perspective. So, with that in mind, my reasons are:

- Since it costs a reasonable chunk of money, as well as the opportunity cost of missing out on a months wages (so, like, another 1000-2000GBP then, depending on where you work).

- Good teaching is rarely rewarded with higher pay in Asia, and there's no such thing as career development in TEFL, lol. It's a waste of money. If you've got a BA you're good to go. The way you can get more money is teaching more classes...most educational establishments don't really give too much of a damn whether you teach well.

I work in China teaching ESL. From what I've researched, China is the best place out of those 3 countries if you want to make money.

I've never seen anywhere in China ask for a CELTA. Sure, some might put it in the job advert, but just like in the UK, job ads are just guidelines...in reality there's such an overwhelming demand here and quite limited supply, and the schools will take what they can get.

My advice is try and get a university teaching job. These are low hours and provide the proper visa, allowing you to rack up the cash with side work at other schools. I started at a language centre and wish I'd gone the uni route first time instead.

You can save pretty decent money here if you get a decent schedule and can hustle a bit...definitely more than any graduate in his first couple of years working for a blue chip UK firm. Of course, much like waiting tables, the money might be decent now, but there's no upwards movement in salary with experience.

Well, I went from nothing to feeling like I am getting somewhere. I have also just found another 5 or 6 jobs website (on top of the other 25 I already have been checking!).

Plus, this morning I have just received 2 e-mails asking me for Skype interviews for Vietnam. I'm really worried still that they won't accept me because I have mis-placed the originals of my degree certificate and CELTA. Other schools in Vietnam only accept originals of the CELTA and that one in particularly they don't give copies. Only a letter to say you passed.

So scared. Never done Skype interviews before. I have two on Tuesday and one on Thurs...the job I really want is the thursday one hehe. So I'm kinda glad I have two before that to not seem so fumbly over Skype :lol:
You will find that that teaching experience will still be useful. My coaching and teaching experience has helped a bit.

Regarding qualifications you will find that like someone said China will be a mixed bag for qualifications and conditions. I know Vietnam you need a CELTA for basically for all jobs. I know this because I am looking there myself. I don't know about Cambodia as I haven't seen many jobs there.
I personally would advice that you look at job websites and see what they ask for. That will be a good idea. Be advised though that sometimes with will say 'TEFL certificate' or 'Recognised TEFL certificate' and they reply with "when we said that we meant a CELTA or equivillent". I found that when I first applied, before I got my CELTA.

If you don't know much about TEFL job sites. Someone has suggested one: eslcafe.com. That is a good one. Personally my favourite is TEFL.com. It is the one I use the most and it is particularly good if you want to search by country. However, if you want more I can send you a list of about 20 websites I use!

Thanks for the info! If it'd be possible for you to send me some more websites I'd really appreciate it!
Having looked at the opportunities in China and having popped in an application to get an idea of the process (I got an invitation for a Skype interview with an adult teaching school overnight, I assume this is normal) it looks like they're really desperate for people over there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending