The Student Room Group

CELTA/ certTESOL/ Teaching English as a Foreign Language

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Toy Gun
Just want to point out that a level 5 qualification is a BTEC, a foundation degree, an HND. Yes, very good indeed. Definitely better than a BA, MA, or PGCE.

Also, it's not a formal teaching qualification. If it was, it would've led you to a QTS. But you can never ever obtain QTS with a CELTA. It's also not a formal teaching qualification abroad. Proper schools would make a distinction between holding a TEFL qualification such as CELTA and a teaching qualification such as a PGCE. At my school for example, they only recognise bachelor's degrees, master's degrees, doctorates, and PGCEs. Only PGCE/PGDE/BEd are considered teaching qualifications. I've seen another school offering CELTA holders a payscale higher than that of a BA but lower than that of a qualified teacher. A CELTA will also not help your visa application.

I'm not trying to make CELTA out to be equivalent to a degree or better. It's a 4 week course FFS. The point I am making is that as a freestanding qualification, it commands more respect than a 120hr online TEFL certificate. To be honest, I don't really give a hoot whether people choose to take it or not - but would you not agree that within the TEFL sphere, when compared to a 120hr TEFL certificate it is the more esteemed qualification? It is a fact that it is stated as a required qualification on many job adverts for ESOL roles both in the UK and further afield.

I totally agree that it is not equivalent to QTS. Is it not a moot point as to whether it can be regarded as a formal teaching qualification [of sorts]?
Original post by karlolive
I'm not trying to make CELTA out to be equivalent to a degree or better. It's a 4 week course FFS. The point I am making is that as a freestanding qualification, it commands more respect than a 120hr online TEFL certificate. To be honest, I don't really give a hoot whether people choose to take it or not - but would you not agree that within the TEFL sphere, when compared to a 120hr TEFL certificate it is the more esteemed qualification? It is a fact that it is stated as a required qualification on many job adverts for ESOL roles both in the UK and further afield.

As I've posted above, a CELTA is probably better than some other certificates due to its higher name recognition and British Council connections. But in reality most employers say 'CELTA or equivalent' and they would see if your certificate should be considered the same as a CELTS; and even for British Council accredited language schools, those schools don't actually have to have teachers with a CELTA - they can decide on their own whether the standards are met (this is what British Council told me themselves). In a way, this is like the government's GCSE requirement for teacher-training courses - the institutions can actually judge the candidates themselves.

The only case where a CELTA is definitely needed and nothing (bar a DELTA) can substitute it is when an institution is hiring CELTA trainers, and that is clearly for obvious reasons.

I totally agree that it is not equivalent to QTS. Is it not a moot point as to whether it can be regarded as a formal teaching qualification [of sorts]?

You said it's a formal teaching qualification. It clearly isn't. I'm just clearing that up.
1. Salary good for someone who's unqualified and may be better than the general population, but not even as good as state schools paying their local teachers.
2. No progression usually.

If you think EPIK is an example that can favour your argument, then you have lost your credibility.

EPIK averages out £1100 per month and you think that's good? That's utter **** compares to international schools.

EPIK is £1600 net plus a free flat close to the school, which could easily be worth 800 quid on top of the base salary in certain areas of Seoul and Busan.

I agree it's not the same ballpark as international schools but the principal example I gave - working on ESP projects for Big Oil/Aerospace/Defence - I know for a fact pays more than international schools.
EPIK is £1600 net plus a free flat close to the school, which could easily be worth 800 quid on top of the base salary in certain areas of Seoul and Busan.

I agree it's not the same ballpark as international schools but the principal example I gave - working on ESP projects for Big Oil/Aerospace/Defence - I know for a fact pays more than international schools.

That's not true - I cannot go on the official website, but this says the maximum is 2.7m KRW and the normal range is 2-2.2m. £1600 would be higher than the maximum. This is without saying that international schools tend to pay for the full ticket but the air ticket allowance at EPIK is not enough for anyone who's not already living in East Asia. And of course international schools also provide a flat, usually you can even choose to live close to the school or anywhere else.

And university vice-chancellors get paid more than prime ministers do. So what is your point? Or are you suggesting that anyone with a CELTA can easily get a high-paying job doing ESP? Why don't we talk about being a celebrity tutor then? Most recently in Hong Kong a tutorial school tried to get a celebrity tutor on board with a HKD$30 million head start and $86 million yearly for four years - that's £200000+ per month. Can your ESP projects compete with that? And most celebrity tutors hold a formal teaching qualification with a master's. I've never seen one with a CELTA.
That's not true - I cannot go on the official website, but this says the maximum is 2.7m KRW and the normal range is 2-2.2m. £1600 would be higher than the maximum. This is without saying that international schools tend to pay for the full ticket but the air ticket allowance at EPIK is not enough for anyone who's not already living in East Asia. And of course international schools also provide a flat, usually you can even choose to live close to the school or anywhere else.

And university vice-chancellors get paid more than prime ministers do. So what is your point? Or are you suggesting that anyone with a CELTA can easily get a high-paying job doing ESP? Why don't we talk about being a celebrity tutor then? Most recently in Hong Kong a tutorial school tried to get a celebrity tutor on board with a HKD$30 million head start and $86 million yearly for four years - that's £200000+ per month. Can your ESP projects compete with that? And most celebrity tutors hold a formal teaching qualification with a master's. I've never seen one with a CELTA.

Have you included the completion bonus for EPIK? Because I have. I have an EPIK contract sitting in front of me

It is eminently possible to do contract ESP work with 2+ years ESL experience and CELTA would definitely help. You would not need to be a QTS for these roles. Unlike the (deliberately) farcical celebrity tutor example, these roles ARE readily available - I've seen adverts for such roles on www.guardian.co.uk/jobs - so your original contention that working at an international school is the only option for a decent salary has been shown to be without merit.
Have you included the completion bonus for EPIK? Because I have. I have an EPIK contract sitting in front of me

It is eminently possible to do contract ESP work with 2+ years ESL experience and CELTA would definitely help. You would not need to be a QTS for these roles. Unlike the (deliberately) farcical celebrity tutor example, these roles ARE readily available - I've seen adverts for such roles on www.guardian.co.uk/jobs - so your original contention that working at an international school is the only option for a decent salary has been shown to be without merit.

1. I wasn't the one who claimed that it was the only option - please check who's posted what.
2. If you're including bonuses, then international schools also have bonuses...
3. Celebrity tutors roles are readily available. They recruit a lot of people every year - not to earn £200k/month but the base starting is similar to language schools and you can only go up from there.
4. So basically you posted a link that showed no evidence of what you've claimed and claimed it as such?

Allow me to also point out the obvious: If it's so well paid (still don't know how much so far since you've never mentioned it), if it's so readily available, if requirement is so low, if it's so easily accessible...Why isn't everyone doing it?
Allow me to also point out the obvious: If it's so well paid (still don't know how much so far since you've never mentioned it), if it's so readily available, if requirement is so low, if it's so easily accessible...Why isn't everyone doing it?

I'm not doing it because I have only one year's experience and probably won't do it because I don't want a long term career in ESL teaching. No idea about the rest of you but I have encountered people who are doing it.
I'm not doing it because I have only one year's experience and probably won't do it because I don't want a long term career in ESL teaching. No idea about the rest of you but I have encountered people who are doing it.

So so many posts in you have yet to:
1. show that they exist;
2. disclose how much money you're talking about.

I'm sorry but you need to provide more evidence and details to make it believable that a job that is:
1. readily available;
2. readily accessible;
3. easy to get into (ie low requirements); and
4. well paid
is not being taken up by more people or even talked about.
Are there any CELTA/ certTESOL/ Teaching English as a Foreign Language students who will have completed their qualification by January 2016 and would like a work placement in Essex UK before they go abroad or start full time work?
Original post by Falcon ES
Are there any CELTA/ certTESOL/ Teaching English as a Foreign Language students who will have completed their qualification by January 2016 and would like a work placement in Essex UK before they go abroad or start full time work?

What kind of dates and length? Is this for Jan only?
So so many posts in you have yet to:1. show that they exist;2. disclose how much money you're talking about.I'm sorry but you need to provide more evidence and details to make it believable that a job that is:1. readily available;2. readily accessible;3. easy to get into (ie low requirements); and4. well paidis not being taken up by more people or even talked about.
He's not going to be able to because these positions rarely exist, lol. I've worked in Korea/China in a technical professional level, an ESL level and now I am studying for my PGCE/QTS.

These ESP jobs he's talking about are few and far between, working in such an industry as he listed in a technical capacity I can tell you the money far exceeds anything you can get teaching at any level. Even high managerial. There are few English tutoring positions available because these industries are full of skilled native expats and near fluent natives - they don't need English tutors.

Another key point you raised which is good is the fact that good jobs are hyper competitive and even if you have the relevant qualifications you aren't guaranteed a position. With just a CELTA alone you barely have any chance. A CELTA is an entry level qualification, it is a one month course with barely any teaching hours. A PGCE is a 9 month course with 8 weeks+ worth of work experience in UK schools, which gives you more important experience of teaching the british secondary school curriculum which is what most international schools want.His point about EPIK is wrong, completely. The average EPIK salary is 2.1 million won (1.2k GBP). So you are right on this account, he's over selling it completely. Also the salary is around 2.5 after 5 years (honestly pathetic).

Hagwons are even worse. University gigs are ok but as you said international schools in ESL is where it's at but the salary is still pretty average, I'm just going to do it as I actually enjoy teaching. Also subjects usually pay a lot more than English, I know in China it's about £500-700 more. So if I were to put it in a scale.Managerial expat in big business field(£7000+) > Tech expat (£5000+) > international school teacher (£2000+) > CELTA ESL teacher (£1200+). I will never earn the £5500 + 20% bonus I was getting in my field in teaching, ever. However I'm willing to take a huge cut for the extra annual leave and the fact I enjoy the career. We will see how it pans out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 492
Hey guys,

I'm new to the Student Room, and am currently thinking about my options after University.

I don't want to settle yet or get started on my career, I want to take a year or two out exploring.

I gained my TEFL certificate earlier this year, and am thinking of applying to live and teach English in a semi-rural area of Turkey this September, for a year

I am really interested in Turkish culture, love the climate and have been there a few times before and I would love to try out living there!

I am thinking of going to a town called Fetiye, which is near the coast

I was wondering if there are any like-minded people our there as I don't think I'm ready to go on my own, but would love to meet people to go with!!

Thanks guys :smile:

Helen
bump
Welcome to TSR Hes30!

Try the CELTA/TEFL thread for like-minded folks
Hi all,

Seriously thinking about applying for the CELTA. Does anyone have any advice on whether either one of these options would be preferable;

a) Online, 25 weeks with one evening attendance per week.

b) 25 weeks, one day attendance per week.

Does anyone have any preference on whether studying at a College or University would be better? (For anyone familiar with the West Midlands, UK, I'm looking at Coventry University (online) or South & City College Birmingham).

Thanks in advance, any advice appreciated. :smile:
Original post by Jonny Ringo
Hi all,

Seriously thinking about applying for the CELTA. Does anyone have any advice on whether either one of these options would be preferable;

Does anyone have any preference on whether studying at a College or University would be better? (For anyone familiar with the West Midlands, UK, I'm looking at Coventry University (online) or South & City College Birmingham).

I am a bit confused by several parts of this. Are the 2 options you are talking about the online CELTA and Part-Time CELTA? I only ask because I don't know as much about them as I did the full-time CELTA course, however from what I remembered reading this doesn't really match. I will research myself to see.

As for which would be preferable well I would guess the one without the online part would be better because schools even put in the job adverts 'CELTA (not online)'.
If you don't mind me asking, why aren't you planning to do the normal CELTA course.

As for a college or university it will make absolutely no difference. I did mine at a language school. It won't appear on the certificate and nobody will question where you did it. Choose what is best for you.
I actually can't imagine the course being held at a university or college.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 497
Original post by Jonny Ringo
Hi all,

It really depends upon what works best for you. I did the blended (online and face-to-face) CELTA at IH London because neither the full-time nor part-time courses would fit with my being a full-time school teacher.

The online components (readings, written and audio discussions, etc) were well organised and complemented the two weekly f2f evenings. Working independently online does require a degree of organisation and discipline though; be honest with yourself about whether or not that might pose a problem.

The only real difference your choice of institution (mode of learning aside) will make, is that you might find you like one place more than another; I'd definitely suggest visiting both.
Hi everyone,

I'm coming to the end of my first academic year in TEFL. I teach between 10-20 hours per week with students aged from 8 to 17, with a few adults. Almost all of the students are polite and most are engaging and pleasant to teach. The problem, though, is that I find a lot of the classes tiring; if I do an evening with more than 3 classes (an hour each), I crash out when I get home and sometimes I still feel jaded the following morning. The amount of hours I'm doing doesn't seem a lot and I have no great hassles where I work.

I was wondering whether any of you more experienced teachers have overcome this problem and have any strategies to suggest to conserve your energy when teaching and to maximise your recovery time. I hope that with experience I might become more resilient, but I may have to accept the intensity of the role.

Thanks, guys, for any responses.
bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending