The Student Room Group

How much is your car insurance?

Scroll to see replies

I've only just passed and to upgraded provisional insurance to full-licence insurance I believe it was £400 for 3 months.

In August, when I renew it, I'll have a years' NCB and it will be around £800 for the year. Unlike my friends, I am the registered owner and main driver - no fronting here - and my insurance will be lower than theirs because of my NCD.
I'm 25 but only passed my test 2 weeks ago. I was paying £65 a month on a provisional license but now I've got a full license I'm paying £130 a month for the rest of year! Grandad is paying for me to do pass plus though so hopefully that will bring it down a bit.
when i was 17, £3200, I'm 18 now £1800 2009 renault clio
£1200 for me and my girlfriend to be coverd on three cars, multi car thing.

. Renault clio 1.5dci (hers, 4 years NCD on this)
. Renault clio 1.5dci (his, 0 years NCD on this)
. Renault Megane R26.R (his, 4 years NCD on this)

No points, I was 22, now 23, she's 24, no claims, mortgaged house, both full time employed, limited miles on Megane.
Reply 124
£750 fully comp on a 2 litre audi
6 years clean liscence
pays to be sensible
Reply 125
I am 23, female, 3 years of no claims, drive a rather rubbish 12 year old Citroen Saxo 1.2, insured with Direct Line and pay around £450 a year for fully comprehensive insurance including breakdown cover.
Can anyone tell me when the lower car insurance for females stops? I thought this had come into place already but my twin friends are being quoted for the same car:

Daewoo Matiz 54 plate worth 2k

Him £5500
Her £2253

Both passed around the same time, both new drivers age just gone 18 (well they would be as they are twins!) neither has any NCB

Great for her, stinks for him.
Reply 127
19, 1.2 clio campus, 2 years no claims (as a named on Churchill). Paying around £650 with Churchill, fully comp, as the registered keeper, with both my parents as named drivers :biggrin:
Pretty happy as last year it was about £1200 as a named driver :frown:
Original post by white_zinfandel
Can anyone tell me when the lower car insurance for females stops? I thought this had come into place already but my twin friends are being quoted for the same car:

Him £5500
Her £2253

Both passed around the same time, both new drivers age just gone 18 (well they would be as they are twins!) neither has any NCB

It wasn't going to completely stop from my understanding of it, they were just going to take out some of the bias, though that does still seem very biased.

Him £5500
Her £2253

I was under the impression it was due to be implemented around december.

There could be other factors affecting it, do they have different jobs?

A quick google has told me the rule comes into effect the 21st of December this year. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1361750/Car-insurance-women-soar-25-men-face-10-CUT-EU-rules.html
Reply 130

Him £5500
Her £2253

Wow. Kind of stinks for both, I'd say - over two grand is still reeeally pretty pricey, even for a new driver! Who with?!

Still, it's been through the European Courts, so hopefully that will change soonish - on the one hand, it is undeniably outrageous sexism, on the other hand, enough 18-25 year old men crash to actually bring down the average male life expectancy, so...

In answer to the original question, I'm with a female friendly insurer, just paid around £500 for insurance on an 8 year old mini, 23 year old female with a crash two years ago. S-weet.

EDIT: also, just get him as an additional driver with her as the principal driver, surely? It'll bump hers up a bit but means they certainly won't be paying nearly £8k between them. Putting me on my boyfriend's made it cheaper....
(edited 11 years ago)

Him £5500
Her £2253

It says in this article there's going to be a £362 rise for women.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2111318/Women-face-362-rise-car-insurance-EU-ruling-means-lose-benefit-having-fewer-accidents.html
Its crazy I don't understand it. Both are students but both have part time sales assistant jobs but in different stores, but both retail high street chains. Interestingly quite a few girls at college are insured on their mum's cars and lots of boys can't get cover because the cost is outrageous.

The quotes above were with Bell insurance which I think is part of Admiral or AXA or somethign like that.
Original post by snufkin_
I was under the impression it was due to be implemented around december.

There could be other factors affecting it, do they have different jobs?

A quick google has told me the rule comes into effect the 21st of December this year. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1361750/Car-insurance-women-soar-25-men-face-10-CUT-EU-rules.html

Well I did see this article yesterday via Google but its actually dated 16:31, 3 March 2011

When you open the Daily Mail website it always has today's date on the top so you can be fooled into thinking all the articles are new.

I thought it should have come into effect LAST December, but doesn't appear to have done?

Anyway, don't know why I am so concerned - I am a girl but I can't afford a car anyway, so it all sucks to me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 134
You can bet that rather than bring the men's premiums down and the women's up to bring them inline, the men's will stay exactly the same and the women's will increase, because insurance companies obviously don't make enough money. I cannot wait until I am older in regards to car insurance
Original post by XMinty
You can bet that rather than bring the men's premiums down and the women's up to bring them inline, the men's will stay exactly the same and the women's will increase, because insurance companies obviously don't make enough money. I cannot wait until I am older in regards to car insurance

I heard that was what they were doing anyway to be honest.

I've found Diamond good for female drivers with smaller engine cars
My first year insurance was 600 to be the names driver
Also going by experience if you put your parents on the insurance as named drivers it brings the price down
Brought mine down by half
Well I did see this article yesterday via Google but its actually dated 16:31, 3 March 2011

When you open the Daily Mail website it always has today's date on the top so you can be fooled into thinking all the articles are new.

I thought it should have come into effect LAST December, but doesn't appear to have done?

Anyway, don't know why I am so concerned - I am a girl but I can't afford a car anyway, so it all sucks to me.

I know it's based from last year. The law was passed in December 2011, and will come into effect December 2012.

Personally, I don't think the male - female differences is any less unfair as the postcode differences. But hey, it's all about statistics and the prices suck. However, it's only the first year or so that's astronomical, my insurance renewel goes down by nearly £1000 just for one years no claims so I'm happy.
Reply 137
im paying £470 a year to be an additional driver with my dad as the main driver on a 1.4 Vauxhall Corsa and im 18. I thought it was a scam at first but its legit, from Aviva. It was more than half that of the next cheapest quote. its all very confusing :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending