The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Doskey
My dad taught me how to do it before I started secondary school, I was the only one in my class that could do it :cool:

Original post by Stuart93
I was a windsor knot guy from my first day at secondary :P it's a skill for life.

Revel in all its beauty.

That said, I've yet to master the dimple. I swear man... it's near impossible.
Reply 21
Original post by jamboogy
Revel in all its beauty.

That said, I've yet to master the dimple. I swear man... it's near impossible.

Love it. The dimple is near impossible... a few days I managed it by accident and wore it with pride.

EDIT: Apparently you can use a "dimple clip"
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
EDIT: Apparently you can use a "dimple clip"

I'd never cheat on my tie like that.
Reply 23
Original post by jamboogy
I'd never cheat on my tie like that.

true tie lover.
no more peanuting :frown:
We had them introduced when I was in year 9 and we got a new head teacher. My school made us pay for them, even though my old tie was in perfect condition, and they had them made on Tue cheap so the clips gave people rashes and sent your shirt green :')

Great start for that head! The lower school at the sixth form I'm at are gonna get them with a new head next year (not the same man). Don't know whether to warn them or hope they put the consequences on fb since I'll have left! Then again it will look smarter than the polo shirt and jumper they wear now.
Reply 26
Original post by internet tough guy
no more peanuting :frown:

Exactly... so annoying for me since I was about the only one who had put effort into tying my tie that morning!

Original post by WanaBdoctor
We had them introduced when I was in year 9 and we got a new head teacher. My school made us pay for them, even though my old tie was in perfect condition, and they had them made on Tue cheap so the clips gave people rashes and sent your shirt green :')

Great start for that head! The lower school at the sixth form I'm at are gonna get them with a new head next year (not the same man). Don't know whether to warn them or hope they put the consequences on fb since I'll have left! Then again it will look smarter than the polo shirt and jumper they wear now.

That's not so good :frown: were people wearing them properly before they introduced them?

Will the lower school get a blazer too? Polo and jumper isn't right for secondary school.
When I was in primary school we were required to wear clip on ties in Reception, but most people switched to 'proper' ties from year 2 at the latest. Personally, I don't think they're very professional (you can easily tell if they're clip ons) and they encourage bad habits in later life. One pupil still had a clip on tie in year 6 and still wasn't aware of how to tie one up. If you make allowances for clothing items such as ties, where is the line drawn? People are becoming too dependent on finding the 'easy' way out.
Exactly... so annoying for me since I was about the only one who had put effort into tying my tie that morning!

That's not so good :frown: were people wearing them properly before they introduced them?

Will the lower school get a blazer too? Polo and jumper isn't right for secondary school.

First- sorry I negged you, I meant to press quote but I'm on my phone. Sorry! Feel free to neg back :smile:

No tbf we didn't wear them properly. The head before just didn't care so everyone wore one but not.done up to the top. The Chavs went for the short with big knot style.

Sadly no they are just going to have to wear a shirt and tie and a blue v neck jumper with the school logo on it. But it'll be a massive improvement and will hopefully improve behavior ( someone set fire to a bin inside the building on the day we broke up) they're also going to be more picky about the black trousers and shoes and no makeup rules. Every girl seems to wear heels and skinny jeans with a bright orange face and false eyelashes! Comparatively sixth form dress normal, bar the odd dress up dare!
They truely are hideous. I heard they were bringing them in to my school the year before I went into sixthform, so I went and rushed to buy a normal sixthform tie before the old stock ran out. Got one of the last ones, thank god :colonhash:
Reply 30
I was a windsor knot guy from my first day at secondary :P it's a skill for life.

It's true, it should be taught at the first day of school - could be a good ice breaker and a chance for the staff to highlight the importance of wearing uniform properly.

As everyone has said, it needs to start with the older pupils - and those who aren't prepared to comply should be issued with clip-on ties until they can prove they can tie a tie! (Additionally they should be tucking in their shirts, buttoning them up to the collar and not rolling up sleeves etc.)

Uh, how about no? My school is strict on uniform but they allow the sleeves to be rolled up, not one person has their sleeves rolled down even under jumpers. You will be making it a rule to have blazers buttoned next.

As fr tucking in shirts, you just look like a spaz if you leave it all hanging out.

Most secondary kids are intelligent enough to have their top button undone but their tie pulled just so, enabling them to he away with it. Why on earth would you want it done up anyway? Silly tradition, silly garment.

Miss my old school in singapore, literally the uniform was a tshirt.
Reply 31
Velcro? How does that work? That must look a bit cheap and nasty.

And I think the ideal situation would be not to have clip-on ties but on many occasions it's the only way to enforce proper attire :smile:

My school is cheap tbh. The ties look pretty normal but have Velcro at the back which goes under to collar
Reply 32
Haha, there's nothing wrong with buttoning up blazers!

Shirt top buttons should be done up because that's how shirts are designed and that's how people will be expected to dress at work once they leave school :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Haha, there's nothing wrong with buttoning up blazers!

It should be done up because that's how shirts are designed and that's how people will be expected to dress at work once they leave school :smile:

No, its not how shirts are designed. :P
Reply 34
Original post by Ocassus
No, its not how shirts are designed. :P

Why do shirts have top buttons then? :s-smilie:
Reply 35
Why do shirts have top buttons then? :s-smilie:

Why does red preclude black in cards?

Its a silly question, shirts CAN and ARE worn casually, without the top button done up. It looks better, more natural, and no sane man has to tie a noose around his neck.
Reply 36
Original post by Ocassus
Why does red preclude black in cards?

Its a silly question, shirts CAN and ARE worn casually, without the top button done up. It looks better, more natural, and no sane man has to tie a noose around his neck.

Haha ok :smile:
Original post by milienhaus
But their priorities may not be to look like nice young men/ women and instead to look rebellious and cool. I personally dont think it's that big a deal, who wasn't an idiot at 13?

I wasn't an idiot had 13-I had to wear a tie and wore it right up to the top unlike everyone in the whole school and behaved pretty well.
Realistically, People who do not wear their ties correctly:

1) Are chavs (the year 9'ers and 10's :wink:).
2) Dont know how to wear one.
3) Lazy.
4) Just dont like ties.
Original post by Dalek1099
I wasn't an idiot had 13-I had to wear a tie and wore it right up to the top unlike everyone in the whole school and behaved pretty well.

I behaved well at school too, I just wore my uniform incorrectly. As did most other people. We all turned out to be fully functioning responsible human beings. I think the relationship between uniform and behaviour is overstated, and I don't think school is a training ground for work either - just because a teenager doesn't do up their shirt at school doesn't mean they won't at a job they've earned and have respect for.

Latest

Trending

Trending