The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I never wore my tie properly, luckily my school never brought in clip on ties. I don't even see why it's necessary anymore, my dad is a director of a company and he hasn't worn a tie to work in ages, so it's not like it's required anymore. :s-smilie:
Original post by milienhaus
I behaved well at school too, I just wore my uniform incorrectly. As did most other people. We all turned out to be fully functioning responsible human beings. I think the relationship between uniform and behaviour is overstated, and I don't think school is a training ground for work either - just because a teenager doesn't do up their shirt at school doesn't mean they won't at a job they've earned and have respect for.

You don't have to do your top button at my school,unless you are getting your photo taken and uniform really is psychological-What I mean by this is if society said a hoodie was smart then people would believe it was and really we shouldn't be stereotypical about uniform-don't judge a book by its cover.Why do we want people to look the same anyway?We should show uniqueness and individuality in the way we dress-if we were all the same then no humans would have the right mutations to survive,scientists have proven variety is better but I still obey uniform rules in the end of the day.
Reply 42
Original post by Dalek1099
I wasn't an idiot had 13-I had to wear a tie and wore it right up to the top unlike everyone in the whole school and behaved pretty well.

Original post by DeathByBSOD
Realistically, People who do not wear their ties correctly:

1) Are chavs (the year 9'ers and 10's :wink:).
2) Dont know how to wear one.
3) Lazy.
4) Just dont like ties.

This sounds like me - as I got older more people started to dress that way. While it's obviously a maturity thing with a lot of people, the problem remains and it would surely be a good thing if people got into the right mindset earlier on.

Original post by milienhaus
I behaved well at school too, I just wore my uniform incorrectly. As did most other people. We all turned out to be fully functioning responsible human beings. I think the relationship between uniform and behaviour is overstated, and I don't think school is a training ground for work either - just because a teenager doesn't do up their shirt at school doesn't mean they won't at a job they've earned and have respect for.

I don't disagree that people can still turn out well - it just seems futile to have a uniform in the first place if people don't wear it correctly.
I had to wear one at primary school but not at secondary. Idk I think its one of those things thats useless to learn, whether its at age 4 or age 11
Reply 44
You don't have to do your top button at my school,unless you are getting your photo taken and uniform really is psychological-What I mean by this is if society said a hoodie was smart then people would believe it was and really we shouldn't be stereotypical about uniform-don't judge a book by its cover.Why do we want people to look the same anyway?We should show uniqueness and individuality in the way we dress-if we were all the same then no humans would have the right mutations to survive,scientists have proven variety is better but I still obey uniform rules in the end of the day.

So do you obey rules because you think it's right or because you want to be an individual (i.e. if everyone else dressed correctly would you change)?
Original post by Stuart93
So do you obey rules because you think it's right or because you want to be an individual (i.e. if everyone else dressed correctly would you change)?

There isn't a significant enough reason not to and I would change my uniform if I was allowed to-Luckily,no tie is needed in the summer-I can't wait because I hate ties!!!
Reply 46
There isn't a significant enough reason not to and I would change my uniform if I was allowed to-Luckily,no tie is needed in the summer-I can't wait because I hate ties!!!

I love ties! In case nobody had realised :P
Reply 47
When I was really young I had trouble tieing a tie (I'm Dyspraxic) so wore a clip-on, but by the time I was about 7, after many an afternoon sat practising, I could tie my own tie properly and smartly. Everyone in my class by that age tied their own tie, in a nice neat knot at the top not halfway down thier front. And before anyone accuses my primary school of being really posh, it really wasn't - it's a state school in a rough neighbourhood - they just taught us to take pride in how we look. I think if you're really forceful and dictatorish with children about anything, they'll just rebel against it anyway so you have to make children choose for themselves and want to look smart which my school did. Imo clip-on ties will just send a message to kids that they don't need to learn to tie a tie, but they will have to one day, better everyday when you're a kid than the morning of a job interview as an adult. The fact that people my age can't/won't tie their own ties smartly is appalling and clip-on ties will only make it worse.
Original post by Kerrias
When I was really young I had trouble tieing a tie (I'm Dyspraxic) so wore a clip-on, but by the time I was about 7, after many an afternoon sat practising, I could tie my own tie properly and smartly. Everyone in my class by that age tied their own tie, in a nice neat knot at the top not halfway down thier front. And before anyone accuses my primary school of being really posh, it really wasn't - it's a state school in a rough neighbourhood - they just taught us to take pride in how we look. I think if you're really forceful and dictatorish with children about anything, they'll just rebel against it anyway so you have to make children choose for themselves and want to look smart which my school did. Imo clip-on ties will just send a message to kids that they don't need to learn to tie a tie, but they will have to one day, better everyday when you're a kid than the morning of a job interview as an adult. The fact that people my age can't/won't tie their own ties smartly is appalling and clip-on ties will only make it worse.

I only learnt how to tie a tie in Y8 but I only had to learn to tie a tie from Y7 because you didn't need to in Primary and my mam used to tie it,use to look bad after PE though.I can't tie shoelaces-too many complicated steps.
Reply 49
I can't tie shoelaces-too many complicated steps.

Seriously?
Original post by Cubic
Seriously?

Yes.How on earth do you do it/There are so many steps?I have to wear trainers without laces.According to this article 45% of children can't tie their shoelaces aged 5-13 but I am 15.5 though-Shoelace Tieing would be a GCSE I would fail and textiles and cooking because there a too many steps to remember leading to a disaster.
Reply 51
Yes.How on earth do you do it/There are so many steps?I have to wear trainers without laces.According to this article 45% of children can't tie their shoelaces aged 5-13 but I am 15.5 though-Shoelace Tieing would be a GCSE I would fail and textiles and cooking because there a too many steps to remember leading to a disaster.

I've never thought about tying my shoelace really, I've never met anyone that can't do it either.
Reply 52
I think clips are a bit of both.

It may be the nanny state interfering, but it is always a practical and simple way to ensure ties are worn correctly.
Original post by nerd434
In my opinion, real ties look a lot better than clip-on ties but only when they are actually worn correctly. They look ridiculous when you see girls wearing them sloped down to their chest, like this.. School Ties.jpg

That tie is pretty close to the top and people atmy school often took their ties into their shirts and don't tie them and have them a lot lower down than in that picture.
Love it. The dimple is near impossible... a few days I managed it by accident and wore it with pride.

EDIT: Apparently you can use a "dimple clip"
As long as you wear it with the thin part only showing yeah Stuart!
I love ties! In case nobody had realised :P
Me too!!
Original post by TheGirlNextDoor
This is how they like to wear it:
_44387994_gall_schooltie_bbc.jpg

Rancid or what!!?

Dune the other way round = skinny , yep deffo!!
I don't think they work for everyone, for shorter people the tie will be too long(I think all schools should have the rule where the end of the tie must pass your waistband as X number of stripes looks ridiculous on shorter people) and on taller people the tie will be too short.
Original post by KillerGabe6969
I don’t think anybody over seven should wear one. At that age you can’t be expected to know how to tie one

Can you stop bumping so many ancient threads about ties.
Original post by Son of the Sea
Can you stop bumping so many ancient threads about ties.

What bro?

Latest

Trending

Trending