The Student Room Group

PGCE Funding Questions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Keziah
Hi,

I'm also starting an MFL PGCE in September, and I asked my university for a letter confirming the bursary (in case I decided to move house and needed to prove to estate agents that I had an income for the year since I wouldn't pass their credit checks). They wrote me a letter stating that I will be "in receipt of a training salary of £20,000, payable in nine monthly installments."

So it looks like it's pretty definite. :smile:

They also asked me for bank details along with various other forms I had to fill in, so they'll be able to pay the money in. I know not all universities have done this yet - they might ask for your bank details on the first day of the course instead.

Hey,
I just saw your post. I am a bit worried as I am starting a PGCE at UWE in September and I have filled in and sent off my bursary form a while ago and have heard nothing. I know that I am eligible for it but because clearing is going on right now, UWE are very busy dealing with that and I just want to find out! You say yours is being paid to you in 9 monthly installments? Does that being from the day you start your course? I read that it doesn't get paid until October and we start our course on the 10th September. All seems very confusing!
Thank you
Rebecca
Reply 21
Original post by rhvd29
Hey,
I just saw your post. I am a bit worried as I am starting a PGCE at UWE in September and I have filled in and sent off my bursary form a while ago and have heard nothing. I know that I am eligible for it but because clearing is going on right now, UWE are very busy dealing with that and I just want to find out! You say yours is being paid to you in 9 monthly installments? Does that being from the day you start your course? I read that it doesn't get paid until October and we start our course on the 10th September. All seems very confusing!
Thank you
Rebecca

Hey,

Don't worry, I didn't receive anything about it until I asked for evidence in case I needed it for renting. No-one else I know has received anything about it.

I think it is October that the payment installments start (though not sure where I got that from...), so it's still a while to hang on. But your Student Loan should come in on the first day of your course, which should be fine until the bursary comes in.
Reply 22
Original post by alexnatseb
Hi Nati,
yes, this is how I understood it. However, I read something on bursaries only being discounted if they were for specific purposes (such as the childcare grant being for childcare costs) and not if they were given for 'general living expenses'. Unfortunately, I am now struggling to find that link for you to have a look at but I'll keep trying to see if I can find it again! The Tax Credit people have been less than helpful in that there just doesn't seem to be a name to this bursary that they can check against on their list - one of the women I spoke to just didn't get it at all and kept asking me if it was an NHS bursary (went round in circles with her for about 20 minutes until I gave up!) and said I don't have teaching bursaries on my list. Grrrr! There must be thousands of parents doing PGCEs!

I imagine you've found the same as me if you've done a degree recently... Student finance and being a parent just simply don't mix. Ever. It's such a nightmare. At my old uni I started up a Parent Student society and they are currently starting a protest up, writing to MPs etc to try and get things to be easier and more straightforward. It wouldn't exactly take much, just a bit of training for the people on the other end of the phone!!

To be honest I think you're more likely to get answers from the uni side than the tax credits side, as I doubt people will know, but someone in the finance dept at uni may be able to find out for you. Personally I'm just going to take it as being a Student Bursary and leave it at that but I understand the need to make sure. :smile:
Reply 23
nati - no, not done a degree recently but I have to deal with the CSA so it's much the same thing....!!!!

having read around things, I am as confident as I can be that the bursary isn't included as income for tax credit purposes. However, if you are in receipt of housing or council tax benefit, it is included as income for these.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending