The Student Room Group

About to fail due to inept teaching

Help needed!

I have an AWFUL teacher. We are really behind compared to other classes and she spends so much time giving us "little tests" that end up taking up at least two lessons; one for the test and one for the re-test becuase she sets the pass mark at 75% and doesnt bother to teach us half the stuff on the test. No to mention the irrelevant videos, lack of historiography being taught and the use of a year 8 text book!

Anyhoo. I need to learn (self-teach) the entire syllabus in 3 months. I have some books, but mostly by historians and therefore not aimed at students with syllabus considerations. I also have the same situation in another subject, coursework deadlines and massive out of school commitments that I really cannot ignore.

Any ideas on how I should approach this mammoth task?? (I am A Level BTW)

- Schmokie

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have totally the same problem in Politics with one of my teachers, I have to learn so much myself because she spends entire lessons talking about Tessa Jowell and God knows what else - when we should be doing American politics!!

What board are you on? And what course are you doing? For example, I have three textbooks for my British modules, but only one for France, that doesn't cover the whole time period... Flagship books usually give a pretty decent overview for A Level... also, books like 'Access to History' cover loads of different topics in their series, and are set out in a really helpful way - dead easy to learn and reviese from - plus they have quotes and other views as well as excercises.

Hope that helps :smile:
Will certainly have a look at those titles!

For History I am with OCR, doing Elizabeth I and Tudor Rebellions (Themes). For Politics I am EdExcel doing US Politics. I have a great Philip Allen book for that though, "US And Comparative Politics".
Fortunately, my own teachers were much more competent... though not to brag or anything. :p:
Grrr :tongue: I wish as much could be said for mine. It is astonishing that some schools seems to effortlessly get students 4/5 As at A2 and into the best universities. When I look at my school I just do not believe it is possible.
Reply 5
We're doing OCR Tudors like you. For Elizabeth I we have a great summary little paperback book by Nicholas Fellows "Elizabeth I" (Collins Flagship Historymakers, published 2004 - ISBN 0-00-717316-4) & the same man's "Disorder & Rebellion in Tudor England" (Hodder Access to History in Depth, 2002 - ISBN 0-340-78143-2). Both are very god - clearly explained & written specifically for A level study.
Good luck
^^^ yep, those are both good for Elizabeth I. Good luck with the revision, & feel free to PM me if you want to discuss issues Elizabeth I-related, she's my speciality. :smile:
Reply 7
White_redrose
feel free to PM me if you want to discuss issues Elizabeth I-related, she's my speciality. :smile:
I got told once that you can't say something is your speciality until you have a doctorate in it!

Seriously though, as people have suggested, the Access History books are brilliant. It seems a far too common occurence that there are such bad teachers teaching A-level. There are too many students having to self-teach. Ah well, it won't be for much longer.

Best of luck!
Reply 8
My History teacher is the most boringest teacher ever. You could literally sleep in the lessons which I have done before. I self taught AS last year by reading books and then also using the internet and got a B-grade in it so it is possible.
I have the Fellows "authority and disorder". Its pretty good :smile:

I shall purchase toother one as well then.

Maybe there is hope for an A yet! (I need one, Warwick wants AABb)
Reply 10
I am also doing OCR History (Age of Peel, Italian Unification, France 1848-1875). What books would you recommend?
Trundle
I got told once that you can't say something is your speciality until you have a doctorate in it!

Methinks you took a lighthearted comment a little too much to heart, lol - would you prefer it if I said my real interest, is that more appropriate? What I meant, as the qualification above suggests, is that I've studied Elizabeth I and her reign at A level and at university level, therefore it's a *personal* speciality of *mine* as in it's the area of history I, personally, know most about - I'm certainly not making any claims to doctoral expertise or anything so please don't make the post out to be something it isn't.
bryan
I am also doing OCR History (Age of Peel, Italian Unification, France 1848-1875). What books would you recommend?

I am also doing these three modules too.
Reply 13
Schmokie Dragon
Help needed!

I have an AWFUL teacher. We are really behind compared to other classes and she spends so much time giving us "little tests" that end up taking up at least two lessons; one for the test and one for the re-test becuase she sets the pass mark at 75% and doesnt bother to teach us half the stuff on the test. No to mention the irrelevant videos, lack of historiography being taught and the use of a year 8 text book!

Anyhoo. I need to learn (self-teach) the entire syllabus in 3 months. I have some books, but mostly by historians and therefore not aimed at students with syllabus considerations. I also have the same situation in another subject, coursework deadlines and massive out of school commitments that I really cannot ignore.

Any ideas on how I should approach this mammoth task?? (I am A Level BTW)

- Schmokie

aww i really feel for you check out some revision websites and do as much reading as you can.
i'm so lucky i have the best history teacher ever, i dunno how i'm guna survive at uni without her highlighting tips and summary charts!
Tudor rebellions are really quite easy (says she who had a brilliant teacher.) Make a list of them- Simnel, Warbeck, Amicable grant, Pilgimage of Grace, Western, Wyatt, Ket, Northern Earls, Essex, what happened, and what the cause was. Oh, and the historeography.;.. well, that's the difficult bit!
Reply 15
I have the same problem! We had a switch over of teachers mid-way through this year as one left for retirement and basically we have not been taught anything on Tudor Rebs. Have read like crazy and tried to learn everything, but feel drained and stressed. Does anyone think they can offer me any help at all?!
P.S. We have never had the chance to write a Tudor Rebs essay and have it marked so ANY advice on how to write a synoptic essay would be godly. please PM me, I need an A to get into my uni and I will not get that at this rate. :frown: xxx
The trick with the essays is to make sure you cover the full period- as in definately mention Essex, pathetic as he was, only having 300 supporters, and bring in Simnel and Warbeck, which were only dangerous becuase Henry VII had only been on the throne a very short time.Don't just concentrate on the important ones like the pilgrimage
Reply 17
Yeah I read somewhere that if essays don't stretch over AT LEAST 100 years then your mark is instantly capped to Band II or III. So blah!
Is it a good idea to write about the rebs chronologically or do they hate that? xxx
Yes, they will restrict you if you don't span the hundred years. thats because it's the synoptic element of the course. Also, try not to write chronologically, use themes insead, like religious issues, factionalism, economic issues and agricultural issues, like enclosure.
guys im messed up big time

i need 140 from 3 papers however i dont think i can get it at all. im doing britain and the things i revise, dont help with 20 mark questions. and sources im afraid a topic will come up which i aint revised as much.

any tips PLEASE.... i really an struggling and really need help.

Latest

Trending

Trending