The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dryriver
This doesn't seem right. Usually in a two lane roundabout u have to stay in the left hand lane to go straight ahead :s-smilie:. Unless i'm mistaken. Only in a Three lane u have to be in the middle lane

Maybe I strayed across lanes without realising. The serious was under positioning, not lane discipline.
I failed on a stall for the first time which wasn't even dangerous and pulled away safely after and today I failed on a crossing with just one major, starting to believe my skin colour and my race is the reason for them not passing me .
Original post by Magicman1995
I failed on a stall for the first time which wasn't even dangerous and pulled away safely after and today I failed on a crossing with just one major, starting to believe my skin colour and my race is the reason for them not passing me .

Oh, please. You've failed once, quite possibly for a valid reason, there's no need to start jumping to allegations of racism.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1983
Original post by Liam6993
Oh, please. You've failed once, quite possibly for a valid reason, there's no need to start jumping to allegations of racism.

Oprah Winfrey #2 :awesome:
Reply 1984

Keep going dude.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1985
And you really believed you had passed after what you did both times? If so, the problem is between your ears, not on your skin.
Failed on my first test :frown: Two minors and one serious fault. I'm so gutted because I had such an easy route and there was no traffic on the roads. Just a stupid cock-up about 2 mins into the test - a parked van was on my side of the road sticking out slightly and a small bus was approaching, I wasn't sure whether or not I'd get through but I stupidly went and it was very tight. I was sure I failed for it and I was right. Oh well, no excuses as I deserved it but I don't know how to pick myself up for my next test because it's almost certainly going to be more difficult as I won't have had as much practice and there will be more traffic and a harder route, etc. :frown:

Why have I been negged for this? :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Just passed in south Yardley 2nd time round, got 7 minors. Failed my 1st attempt got 3 minors and 1 major. I'm so happy, never have to do a driving test again woooo!!!
Reply 1988
Failed for the second time. Both times only a few minors (5 then 3), both times failing on the parallel parking manoeuvre. Rebooked once more because I'm absolutely desperate to pass before I go back to uni.
I failed my second test a few weeks ago. I was more upset than the first time because I got very close to passing.

I had not driven for the best part of a year because of being at a university in Japan on my year abroad. After coming back, I had lessons for five weeks to get me back up to speed and my parents took me out to practice as well during that time. I also revised the show me, tell me questions until I knew them all.

I was more confident than when I had my first test and did everything better than before. Yet I still did not pass. I misjudged something and the examiner slammed on the brakes before I could make the move. The road in question had always been clear when I had turned into it before during lessons and driving with my parents. Even my instructor found it to be the same way when he was driving from A to B. It rarely ever had anything coming.

The moment I made the mistake, I knew I had failed. But the test had to continue and I spent the rest of the time wishing it had ended there so the torture would not be prolonged. It took a lot of effort not to fall to pieces after I scored that major.

That one minor miscalculation on my part resulted in my failure. To think that I would have passed had that not happened... The notion distressed and frustrated me so much that I could not listen to a word the examiner said when he read out what went wrong at the end of the test. I was in floods of tears and could not stop crying for hours afterwards.

It was four days before I got back into the driving seat. The failure hit me so much harder than the first one. Needless to say, my confidence had taken a significant blow.

I have been driving with my parents for two weeks since then and my confidence is coming back bit by bit.

On the bright side, I got eight minors and one major. A lot better than last time.

Third time lucky, right? I have one more chance to pass before my theory runs out.
Original post by phoenixmiko
I failed my second test a few weeks ago. I was more upset than the first time because I got very close to passing.

I had not driven for the best part of a year because of being at a university in Japan on my year abroad. After coming back, I had lessons for five weeks to get me back up to speed and my parents took me out to practice as well during that time. I also revised the show me, tell me questions until I knew them all.

I was more confident than when I had my first test and did everything better than before. Yet I still did not pass. I misjudged something and the examiner slammed on the brakes before I could make the move. The road in question had always been clear when I had turned into it before during lessons and driving with my parents. Even my instructor found it to be the same way when he was driving from A to B. It rarely ever had anything coming.

The moment I made the mistake, I knew I had failed. But the test had to continue and I spent the rest of the time wishing it had ended there so the torture would not be prolonged. It took a lot of effort not to fall to pieces after I scored that major.

That one minor miscalculation on my part resulted in my failure. To think that I would have passed had that not happened... The notion distressed and frustrated me so much that I could not listen to a word the examiner said when he read out what went wrong at the end of the test. I was in floods of tears and could not stop crying for hours afterwards.

It was four days before I got back into the driving seat. The failure hit me so much harder than the first one. Needless to say, my confidence had taken a significant blow.

I have been driving with my parents for two weeks since then and my confidence is coming back bit by bit.

On the bright side, I got eight minors and one major. A lot better than last time.

Third time lucky, right? I have one more chance to pass before my theory runs out.

Similar thing happened to me on my most recent test. Had been focusing on my final year of Uni, I had only crammed in a month of driving,after I had finished uni before my test. Surprise,surprise I failed with 3 minors and 2 majors for stupid things. I think the stress of it and the short time to practice was a major reason. Is there anyway you can just do alot of private practice before your next test? that way you will have alot more driving practice and confidence to nail the next test. I mean you only got 1 major, so I am sure you can nail the next one.
Just failed second time for things that I feel were SO unfair! The first was when I was in a tight road and I had to let traffic on my right pass and then she starts trying to grab to wheel because she says I was too close to the cars on my left! I was fully aware I was close but I still had control of the car, I knew what I was doing! And I got second major at a junction where I'd waited and waited for a clear space, there was a car far off approaching and I moved out nice and smoothly no fuss. Then when she reads me the feedback she tells me I'd made the other car swerve out to avoid me but I was just so annoyed :/

I'm sorry I'm ranting to you guys, I can't talk to my family or friends about this because they keep saying 'awh don't worry, there's next time!' And I know they are being kind but I feel so stupid! I'm a good driver, I get straight A's and I STILL can't pass a 30 minute test! I just feel like a complete idiot right now.

I'm supposed to be going on this amazing holiday with my boyfriend that I'd planned and waited the whole summer for tomorrow and this has made me feel like rubbish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1992
Seriously starting to doubt if I will ever be driving :frown:

Had about 40 hours of lessons with instructors
Been out in my partners car few times a week for last 6 months
Failed practical test 3 times now each time with 2-3 minors and 1 major (twice involving stupid cyclists and my hesitance to overtake them and third time speeding up to 35 before a 50 sign when I should have waited to pass it)
Then there's my theory, took it first time two years ago and passed first time with 47mc and 62hp... SO because i've failed my practical and two years has passed i had to resit it. I failed by 1 BLUMIN mark today and i'm well.. i'm getting to the point where im beyond having any hope.

The most frustrating thing is being so close, I feel I can drive well, and I know the theory... but for some reason I always just miss the mark, mostly because of my nerves. I now haven't driven in 6 weeks, (problems with getting decent instructors and my partners car no longer being available to me, away working now), and i feel like im back where I started.

Its the new stuff that got me as well on the theory, stuff thats been added in last two years since i sat it. like i have no idea what a red route is, or anything about edinburgh supertrams lol. oh well another two week wait for my theory and another 6 week wait after that for my practical. feels like im never gonna get there.... :frown: :frown: :frown:
Failed my first test today. 1 major, 8 minors.
When i started off, he told me to pull up on the left and when i did, i scraped the curb. From then on i thought i failed. So i continued driving as if id accepted failure but hoping he would let me off. Closer towards an end, me and another car were trying to go through a gap, there was enough room but then the examiner moved my wheel as if i was too close to the parked car. I don't think i was too close as there was enough room. Turns out that was the reason i failed. Im quite annoyed because that one little error could have been avoided. My instructor said though, that he probably purposely did that as a reason to fail me. But oh well, rebooking for October- so far a way *sigh*
Reply 1994
Failed my driving test for the 1st time today, same as Meowcake, 1 serious and 8 minors..:frown:

Really bummed about it because I totally wasn't driving as I usually do during lessons, my test route was really difficult and so I got caught out by it. I failed as I got to the point where there was a narrow road with cars parked on both sides and suddenly cars came down from the other side and so, I had to react to that by suddenly stopping. But because I stopped so abruptly it gave me a serious mistake :frown: Hopefully I'll get to book my test again for a date really soon, next dates are for October >< I wanna pass and stop having to throw money in to legally drive a car ><
My friend failed because she hit a bus...
Reply 1996
Wondering, is it a minor for undue hesitation if you decide to stop a junction to take a closer look at a particular side of the road?
Reason i ask is outside my centre, there is a very awkward hill on the left which although you can alright as you get close.... its slightly blocking the view as you approach the junction.

First test on the 2nd! Pretty scared i must say, very desperate to pass but we shall see >.>
Original post by Jkizer
Wondering, is it a minor for undue hesitation if you decide to stop a junction to take a closer look at a particular side of the road?
Reason i ask is outside my centre, there is a very awkward hill on the left which although you can alright as you get close.... its slightly blocking the view as you approach the junction.

First test on the 2nd! Pretty scared i must say, very desperate to pass but we shall see >.>

It's not hesitation if you can't see and need to edge closer to decide whether it's safe to go or not.

I got two minors for hesitation on my test - I can easily remember one of them, it was a perfectly visible T-junction but I stopped for ages for no reason. :colondollar: But I've always been bad for hesitation.

Hesitation is just that - being hesitant unnecessarily. You'd probably get a major fault for haring it out of the junction without making 100% sure you were safe to go, so you might as well pick up the minor if they're going to give it to you (though if it blocks the view as you say, then I can't imagine why they'd consider it hesitation at all).
My next dates are in October too. I'm rebooking today and might do another test centre area because my current one is genuinely quite difficult to pass in. Whereas the other (Sutton Coldfield) is easier from my knowledge. Most ppl pass 1st time there and the people my instructor has taught a lot of them failed in Kingstanding then did Sutton instead because it was easier to drive in and passed 2nd time. So I'm going to do that! I just want my licence ASAP!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wyot
Seriously starting to doubt if I will ever be driving :frown:

Had about 40 hours of lessons with instructors
Been out in my partners car few times a week for last 6 months
Failed practical test 3 times now each time with 2-3 minors and 1 major (twice involving stupid cyclists and my hesitance to overtake them and third time speeding up to 35 before a 50 sign when I should have waited to pass it)
Then there's my theory, took it first time two years ago and passed first time with 47mc and 62hp... SO because i've failed my practical and two years has passed i had to resit it. I failed by 1 BLUMIN mark today and i'm well.. i'm getting to the point where im beyond having any hope.

The most frustrating thing is being so close, I feel I can drive well, and I know the theory... but for some reason I always just miss the mark, mostly because of my nerves. I now haven't driven in 6 weeks, (problems with getting decent instructors and my partners car no longer being available to me, away working now), and i feel like im back where I started.

Its the new stuff that got me as well on the theory, stuff thats been added in last two years since i sat it. like i have no idea what a red route is, or anything about edinburgh supertrams lol. oh well another two week wait for my theory and another 6 week wait after that for my practical. feels like im never gonna get there.... :frown: :frown: :frown:

Yeah I am in a similar position to you. I failed 3 times with a few minors or 1/2 majors. Had to do the theory test again after it running out. I passed, but was also surprised with the new questions. Did you use the 2013 edition CD/app? if not try and use that as they will provide newer questions. I had the red route question and was surprised!

Latest

Trending

Trending