The Student Room Group

Is my mum being paranoid? What do you think about this job?

Ok. Long story short, I'm on a gap year and I've been looking for a job since September with no luck. This afternoon I applied for a job fundraising for a charity in London (found it advertised on gumtree).

I got a phone call about half an hour later saying would I like to come in for a trial day tomorrow so I said yes.

My mum's now being paranoid. She says she's never heard of the charity, the job's in an area that she doesn't think is very nice, she thinks it's too far away and according to her it's 'beneath me' to stand outside with a bucket (if you can believe it).

The job's with a charity called 'Shanti International'. Tbf I haven't heard of it either but it is a registered charity. It's rather new (which is one of the reasons my mum doesn't trust it).

The bit my mum is worried about is the fact that in the email they sent me they said: 'You need to bring your proof of ID & WILL BE KEPT UNTIL YOU FINISH YOUR TRIAL. It has to be either your passport or driving licence, (No photocopy will be accepted, and Without ID Proof you won’t be considered for trial).' She's now convinced that they're going to copy my ID for fraudulent purposes. I think it's because they don't want people running off with collection money.

Another thing. The job centre says I have to consider jobs that are up to an hour's travel away. This job is 1 hour 15 mins away (two trains).

Is my mum being silly? Should I go for the trial day?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by inadilemma
Ok. Long story short, I'm on a gap year and I've been looking for a job since September with no luck. This afternoon I applied for a job fundraising for a charity in London (found it advertised on gumtree).

I got a phone call about half an hour later saying would I like to come in for a trial day tomorrow so I said yes.

My mum's now being paranoid. She says she's never heard of the charity, the job's in an area that she doesn't think is very nice, she thinks it's too far away and according to her it's 'beneath me' to stand outside with a bucket (if you can believe it).

The job's with a charity called 'Shanti International'. Tbf I haven't heard of it either but it is a registered charity. It's rather new (which is one of the reasons my mum doesn't trust it).

The bit my mum is worried about is the fact that in the email they sent me they said: 'You need to bring your proof of ID & WILL BE KEPT UNTIL YOU FINISH YOUR TRIAL. It has to be either your passport or driving licence, (No photocopy will be accepted, and Without ID Proof you won’t be considered for trial).' She's now convinced that they're going to copy my ID for fraudulent purposes. I think it's because they don't want people running off with collection money.

Another thing. The job centre says I have to consider jobs that are up to an hour's travel away. This job is 1 hour 15 mins away (two trains).

Is my mum being silly? Should I go for the trial day?

fundraising jobs are 99,9 % scums
have you google-street-viewed the place to see if its legit or not?
They want to keep your ID? This is odd... never heard of this before.
Reply 4
Never, ever let someone else have control of your passport for a lengthy period of time.

Also, there is no legitimate reason why. Something is amiss.
Reply 5
I know too many people who have been screwed over by similar jobs. I wouldn't risk it! The ID thing sounds far too dodgy! An employer will take your ID, they may have it most of the day while they do admin, but putting it how they have just sounds too dodgy.
Reply 6
The ID bit sounds dodgy, listen to your mum.
Reply 7
Trust your mother.

She knows best.
Your mum might be right as it is strange for them to require your ID such as passport and hold on to it till end of trial never heard of that before.

The journey time is ok as I regularly travel for over an hour to work.

I personally do not like fundraising type jobs so I do understand where your mum is coming from as majority are unpaid and those paid are on commission based. I will personally prefer to volunteer for well known charities such as Cancer research, Shelter, RSPCA etc.
Reply 9
Your mum sounds right. It seems the fashion to say "dont listen to her, its your life". But, this sounds like a fraud and I know few of these sort of adverts which are not real and have some underlying stuff. I would never go.
Reply 10
They'll be using your I.D to get some illegal in the country or something, sounds a bit dodgy!
Reply 11
The ID thing isn't right. Places should usually accept a scanned copy of your passport to ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK. They usually issue a statement of confidentiality.

At best, this job could be a commission-based job which isn't that much better than a scam. You'll take home next to nothing.

At the worst, they could be doing something dodgy with your ID.
Reply 12
Original post by internet tough guy
have you google-street-viewed the place to see if its legit or not?

I did. I looked up the building they said it was in and googled the building itself. The building houses several organisations, their charity being one of them.

Thanks everyone. I've thought about it and I think I'm just going to leave it. I've emailed them saying that it's too far away.

I'm going to go round my local high street and hand out CVs tomorrow. See if that gets me anywhere.
Reply 13
Providing ID is normal but them keeping it isn't right. Don't go. Listen to your mom.
Never heard of somebody wanting to keep the actual ID before. Rather be safe than sorry and leave it.
Don't bother. Charity fundraising on the street is commission based and really is the pits. You'll get next to no money for your time and feel like a complete lemon in the process.

That and the fact them keeping your ID for that length of time sounds dodgy. I've no problem giving my passport to be photocopied at interviews and the like where it's clear what it's being needed for. But for this purpose I would be wary of it. Oh and it's on gumtree which also makes the alarm bells ring for me.
I'm in the same position as you are. My mum is skeptical of me going for a job in charity fundraising. I have an interview tomorrow where I have to bring my passport, my NI number and 3 references, and I don't know if I should go now seeing the comments. At interviews do they usually ask for your NI number? And also is it possible if the job is not based on commissions? It advertised (also on gumtree lol) the hourly pay and didn't mention it. I don't know what to do now. I'm confused!!! :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
If you are looking for jobs Indeed is a good search engine.

I will rather work as unpaid work experience than work based on commission.

I avoid fund raising, sales type jobs would rather go for retail. when you see stuff like ote etc stay away.
Reply 18
Seems rather dodgy. Listen to your mother.
Reply 19
As someone who did this trial day, I can say that they seemed like nice people. This proves nothing in this day and age, unfortunately devoid of trust and good spirit. They did indeed take my ID (driving licence) and i got it back at the end of the day without hitch.

As for people claiming that this is commission based, I can confirm that this is indeed false. I don't know about other charities, but shanti international pay 6.19 £ hour-1. The condition that you pass the trial day is that you make more than £6.19 every hour, armed with nothing more than a cheap shanti international ID card, a large purple bucket (sealed, of course) and your own wit and guile.

Of the 6 of us that started the trial, I believe only three made it through the whole day. It was hard, cold work, and you have to put up with a lot of people ignoring you. Some people just aren't cut out for it. You will need a thick enough skin to affect a personable demeanor even though very few people give a damn about you, and not to care too much about the cold. They haven't contacted me back yet, although they did make a point of taking my number before I left, as well as the days I could work (this was on Saturday).

All in all, I see no reason that you shouldn't go for it, if you think you have the balls to do the job, and do it well enough for you to be worth their employership (is that even a word? a question for another time.). Having met them, they do not seem like the shady sort, but stay on your guard nonetheless. Basically, the work's hard, the pay is low, but it's as fun as you make it and you get to meet a lot of people, both fellow trialists and members of the public.

TL/DR:

Successful applicants are paid 6.19 £hour-1
The ID-taking is to prevent you stealing their buckets
It's really hard
It's really cold
It's as fun and as rewarding as you make it.

Well, that's just my opinion and experience on and of the matter. I hope you find this useful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending