The Student Room Group

Need some advice before Monday!

Need urgent advice on a decision!

I got a mail from the accommodation services yesterday offering me to stay in the student flats at southpark terrace/circus park in a single room which sounds great. They also told me I still could advise them differently (Can't believe how helpful they are!)I'm actually a fresher but I am a Swedish student and will be turning 22 this year so that is why I asked if I could be put together with later year student.
So a few questions:

Is it a mistake to want to live with older people? Normally I don't care about the ago of people but a four year age difference is still quite a lot.

Will I still easily find friends during fresher's week? Like all people moving to a new place (country!) I'm scared of the fact that I'll be all alone.

Are student apartments really unsocial? Would you recommend the Student Houses or Student Flats? . Any reflections from people living there?

5. Should I just go for Cairncross instead?

Need to answer them by Monday I guess so please give your opinions! Thx :smile:
Reply 1
Hi! First of all, I don't think you have to worry about being alone. I think that everyone, home students, european students, international students, worry about that, but that is what freshers week is all about, finding new friends and people to hang out with :smile: I don't think it would really matter wether you choose the SA for freshers or the one for later year students. However, the later year students will of course already have their group of friends, while everyone moving into the first-year SA will be in the same position as you. That said, I don't think that you will be living with all 18-years old. I am 19 myself and starting university in September and I'm quite sure I will not be the oldest. So chances are that you'll live in a group of 18-19-20 year old people. Unless you really think you're going to have a problem with that I'd say, try the normal student appartments, otherwise, go for the southpark terrace/circus park accomodation. I don't live there yet so wouldn't know about how social they both are but I'm going to take a guess and say that you're student years will be as social as you make them, wether you're staying in Murano or in a wooden cabin in Kelvingrove Park :wink:
Reply 2
I think Southpark Terrace or Park Circus will suit you better than Murano or Cairncross. They have a purpose in life, but that purpose tends to be for partying 18 year olds. Even most second years cannot envisage going back there once they've had their wild first year. It would drive me nuts living within half a mile of those places, to be quite honest with you.

Meeting people is going to be up to you anyway: There are some that live in a place with 1200 rooms and make friends with the other three people in their flat. So it goes. There will be a ton of events to go to at FW during the day and night (I'm working on them as we speak), but no matter how much is put on by the university, the unions or the societies, it still takes you to strike up conversations. Bearing that in mind, you won't have too many problems.

Quick Reply

Latest